Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Ineffiable posted:

I'm going though this game on ps5 and I'm hoping someone can give me a light spoiler on how progress works

I have a feeling you're meant to complete the ship doctor. Is doing that what kicks off the ending of act 2? I've gotten through act 1 and I'm just doing some ships while I rank up and complain about this new admin guy.

Just curious how the progression goes because I need to watch out for industrial action which has one missible trophy based on the action taken

My first statement addresses your *first* specific question, and is spoiler-free in that context...

Ship Doctor has relevance to the broader campaign of the game, but is *not* a trigger for Act III

My second statement addresses your second question, but still is handwavey...

You absolutely, 100% will know when you are ready to do the 'Industrial Action' shift. It cannot be missed, and you cannot *not* know you are about to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Reading up on guides, there are actually 2 missable trophies since they're mutually exclusive and you'll have to play through twice to get them both (or use save manipulation). Lame

That is not *quite* the case. To be more usefully specific...

You just need to get 1 particular trophy, *abandon that shift*, and then get the next one.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, but the problem is they only exist FOR the hardened cut points to exist. You could change them to regular cut points and lose nothing, considering they only ever appear on Ion Rings and the big comms antennas.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you'd get more out of them just by doubling the radius of the cutting blast, even if just as an upgrade path.
This would absolutely destroy their utility.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

This would absolutely destroy their utility.

What utility is my question though; They only exist because the Tier-3 Cut Points exist, and those only exist to give demo charges something to do. Anything more conventional is done quicker, and better, by the laser cutter in my experience.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The laser doesn't cut nanocarbon, and on Javelins the nanocarbon hull rings don't have longitudinal cut points* so if you don't demo charge them you have to pull them off the ends of the ship one by one.

*except the low-level ships

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

GotLag posted:

The laser doesn't cut nanocarbon, and on Javelins the nanocarbon hull rings don't have longitudinal cut points* so if you don't demo charge them you have to pull them off the ends of the ship one by one.

*except the low-level ships

But I guess that falls back into the “well that only happens to justify the need for demo charges” bucket

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dogen posted:

But I guess that falls back into the “well that only happens to justify the need for demo charges” bucket

Also it's just not worth the time and effort given their value is relatively gently caress-all.

edit:

Thinking on it a bit, something I was hoping to see was the ships get a little more complex with intertwined systems as the difficulty level went up too. As-is, even at Hazard Level 9 you've gotta REALLY gently caress up to make problems for yourself, because you can keep a routine of "pop the thrusters, pull the hull, pull the reactor, junk the rest" with relatively zero risk to yourself. It would've been nice if, say, the fuel and coolant systems were used a bit more through the ship so you need to consider what gets pulled and when. Even a Level 2 Reactor pull without touching anything else is pretty safe so long as you can yank it and dunk it with a clear LOS to the Barge.

For example, say, having some Grade 3 cutting points inside the hull that'll need Det charges, but you'll need to clear the interior above them so they aren't also cleaving through the Power Generator/Radiation Filter/ECU/etc.

Or just getting fuel and coolant lines more prevalent through the larger ships so you want to make drat sure the lines are emptied and the tanks are out before cutting anything instead of just "A tank on the wall inside the hull :geno:".

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 30, 2022

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah, that, bigger ships, and coop were my wishlist for the game before I read the devs saying “nah it’s done we are putting out the console version and moving on with our lives.” Still fun though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dogen posted:

Yeah, that, bigger ships, and coop were my wishlist for the game before I read the devs saying “nah it’s done we are putting out the console version and moving on with our lives.” Still fun though

Oh absolutely, I had a blast with it. And then my Spare shoved whatever was left in the furnace! :v:

(Kinda would've been neat if they left your corpse in as something to trash just for dark humour. Yup, there's the last one. Half-fried to a crisp. [FURNACE])

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also it's just not worth the time and effort given their value is relatively gently caress-all.

On a Javelin in total it's worth more than the reactor

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

It's only a couple minutes long, but BBI released a video on the origin of Shipbreaker. Shows off Hello, Collector, the result of an internal BBI game jam that evolved into HS: SB, and some other early footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLdVIRFpzKc

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit:

Thinking on it a bit, something I was hoping to see was the ships get a little more complex with intertwined systems as the difficulty level went up too. As-is, even at Hazard Level 9 you've gotta REALLY gently caress up to make problems for yourself, because you can keep a routine of "pop the thrusters, pull the hull, pull the reactor, junk the rest" with relatively zero risk to yourself. It would've been nice if, say, the fuel and coolant systems were used a bit more through the ship so you need to consider what gets pulled and when. Even a Level 2 Reactor pull without touching anything else is pretty safe so long as you can yank it and dunk it with a clear LOS to the Barge.

For example, say, having some Grade 3 cutting points inside the hull that'll need Det charges, but you'll need to clear the interior above them so they aren't also cleaving through the Power Generator/Radiation Filter/ECU/etc.

Or just getting fuel and coolant lines more prevalent through the larger ships so you want to make drat sure the lines are emptied and the tanks are out before cutting anything instead of just "A tank on the wall inside the hull :geno:".

they were really trying for that in EA around the time Geckos came out, but they kept running into problems with ships spontaneously detonating out of nowhere because however those systems are modeled in the backend is a fuckin mess, so they eventually just gave up

IMO they shoulda just let em blow, it's not like you actually lose anything and who said deep space salvaging was fair, but oh well maybe that guy who was modding in customizable ship designs will put up a finished version one day

Det charges and cut point levels are similarly a way scaled back version of a much more ambitious system they never figured out how to balance, i definitely don't miss when you could irreversibily lock your splitsaw into burning nanocarbon

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 1, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I am really hoping another studio takes a crack at this concept in a few years, because they didn't even get close to the potential on this one and it's plainly obvious.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Picked this up recently - I too, would like bigger ships and more intricate ship systems. It’s a great game but there’s so much more potential.

Industrial action was great, completely destroyed my frame rate by placing detonators on the reactor, fuel, power station, junction boxes, radiation sinks, basically everything that shows up as a different colour in the systems scanner.

It was a lot of fun watching the cascading explosion in 10 fps slow motion

Then I tethered the remaining large chunks into the furnace because :effort:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 12, 2023

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Hah, yeah I did exactly the same thing my first time through. Such an ungodly mess. Spectacular looking explosions though. Second time through, I conscientiously broke down the ship as I'd normally do, before tossing things into the furnace.

It is a shame the game wasn't sufficiently successful for additional content plans. I'd totally buy a "ship pack" for this game. Despite platting it months ago, I still play it fairly regularly. Breaking ships is just so drat chill.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
If you'd like bigger ships there is the shipbuilder mod. https://www.nexusmods.com/hardspaceshipbreaker/mods/8

The biggest modded ship is only on the discord though. And building the ships is a lot of work so there aren't too many.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hell yeah, definitely gonna check that out. Thanks!

E:

quote:

Tip: The processor is named after Eugene L. Processor, who invented the furnace.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 12, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Big Ink posted:

And building the ships is a lot of work so there aren't too many.

Blackbird Entertainment, from the back: "that's right! Stop complaining about the small ships!"

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Big Ink posted:

If you'd like bigger ships there is the shipbuilder mod. https://www.nexusmods.com/hardspaceshipbreaker/mods/8

The biggest modded ship is only on the discord though. And building the ships is a lot of work so there aren't too many.

Thanks for the heads up! I know what I'll be dipping my toe into this weekend. I generally play the Xbox version, but I own the game on Steam as well (bought in during early access; double-dipped because...). My PC is *super* crusty these days, but what the hell.

For all that I agree this game has unfulfilled potential, there just isn't anything else quite like it (that I know of, he says, leaving a tantalisng thread dangling).

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
If you have at least 32gb of memory the big ship is doable.

I for one, have all fingers crossed for a Hardspace 2.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
(looks pensively at 16gigs of RAM)

I'll be *fiiiiiiiiiine*.... :ohdear:

Edit: RAM doublers are still a thing, right?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

magimix posted:

(looks pensively at 16gigs of RAM)

I'll be *fiiiiiiiiiine*.... :ohdear:

Edit: RAM doublers are still a thing, right?

Yes, it is called 'it is 2023, buy another 16 gigs of ram'

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
RAM doublers only have any real effect when your working set is smaller than your physical RAM, they're just improved virtual memory schemes. If Shipbreaker actually needs every byte of those 32GB, there is no way around it

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
It's reportedly doable on 16gb

'Okay, the solution: Manually set the maximum page file size for windows to a higher value (I selected 32 GB but you could probably get away with a lower value)
It seems like the game allocates a ton of memory when generating the ship, but doesn't actually need that much when playing'

That sentence doesn't make sense to me but maybe if you understand then it may work for you as well

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Peachfart posted:

Yes, it is called 'it is 2023, buy another 16 gigs of ram'

Mean! :argh: My PC was good! 10 years ago, when I built it

But yeah, at this point, my work-issued laptop spanks the poo poo out of it, and then some. Really, the question is, 'what pushes me to put down'.

It is an interesting thing. Since I generally play games on the Xbox now, all my PC needs to do is run... Well, a web-browser, and Visual Studio (for numpty hobby stuff). The need or desire to play a 'current' game on PC specifically is the only reason I'd consider upgrading, because no other use-case needs it.

Joshing aside, KSP2 is likely the thing that'd push me over the edge. A game I *literally* cannot run on my rig, and that is not available anywhere else. It is high time I treated myself to an upgrade (and by that I mean a complete system replacement).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Big Ink posted:

It's reportedly doable on 16gb

'Okay, the solution: Manually set the maximum page file size for windows to a higher value (I selected 32 GB but you could probably get away with a lower value)
It seems like the game allocates a ton of memory when generating the ship, but doesn't actually need that much when playing'

That sentence doesn't make sense to me but maybe if you understand then it may work for you as well

Ram doubling is a thing? We aren't just pretending we downloaded more ram from the internet like it's 2003?

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ram doubling is a thing? We aren't just pretending we downloaded more ram from the internet like it's 2003?

1995 and no. It's tricking windows into some mind boggling nonsense. Which being windows...

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Imagine being a gamer in the Year of our Lord 2023 and not rolling with a very unneeded 64 gigs of RAM

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Know I'm late to the party, here, but I just started playing. Can you get achievements while playing open shift? The shift times kinda suck. I'll still play my standard game, but just curious cause I may make a second one in open shift and was wondering

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Know I'm late to the party, here, but I just started playing. Can you get achievements while playing open shift? The shift times kinda suck. I'll still play my standard game, but just curious cause I may make a second one in open shift and was wondering
While I am not sure about the achievements, the time limit is actually your secret friend passed off as difficulty.

When something goes wrong (or bugs out) in open shift, you can lose everything. While the time limit in normal mode is an autosave that cashes in your progress as you go. The fees for needing two shifts or "Do I go for a third to finish throwing scrap into the furnace for more stickers?" are nothing compared to the guarantee of getting the value of your work saved regularly.

Granted my mindset is from discovering the laser cutter bugs that mean sometimes it would not set a box in front of you on fire, were also the bugs that mean it would pass through a wall into a live fuel pipe because the laser starts somewhere back and to the side of your head. Or multiple odd quirks of the engine, like already cut safe fuel pipes deciding they are actually full of fuel again when something bumps into them. Giving me a scare when it gets near my friend the perpetual electric spark loitering thirty feet behind the ship.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 8, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It's also a fun way to gauge your growth as you play. There's really no punishment for taking an extra day on a teardown and most people quickly get to the point of trying to complete a job faster than their previous best.

I normally hate time limits, even extraordinarily generous ones often cause me to drop games I'm having a good time with, but I tried this game with them and it's a fair bit better because of them IMO.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Terra-da-loo! posted:

You can get achievements in Open Shift, yes. But worth considering sticking with standard a bit longer, I think.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Even if you catastrophically and repeatedly gently caress up like 20 shifts in a row and your debt somehow goes up, there's no consequence to that. It's such a big number it's all in your head anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

aniviron posted:

Even if you catastrophically and repeatedly gently caress up like 20 shifts in a row and your debt somehow goes up, there's no consequence to that. It's such a big number it's all in your head anyway.

Taking this as life advice so you're now responsible for my next 24 hours. Thank you very much.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Thanks to everyone for encouraging sticking to standard, and explaining why. Noted and appreciated-will stay with this standard game

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

As a small voice of dissension, I only ever play in Open Shift. I am terminally allergic to time limits in games. I did give this one the ol' college try in Standard, but bounced off super hard after a handful of shifts. Even if the daily costs mechanic is entirely arbitrary, my brain simply won't allow me to enjoy the game if I have to play it in mandatory 15 minute chunks.

In Open Shift this game is just a cool time to chill out for a while to space country music and chop up some ship. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
You can disable the time limit in Standard iirc

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I enjoy the timer because it's perfect for getting a new coffee and taking a leak.

I guess it would be more annoying if there were consequences though,

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I thought i was allergic to the timer and now i've completed the game with it on because it just made me way, way faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Timer and no timer is just a matter of flavor. No timer is like Microsoft Flight Simulator, where you are slowly going up and down and around to do things. Timer + oxygen is more like a jet combat game where you're doing flyby dismantling of structures.

I like the time pressure just because it makes you think more creatively. Loosening furniture inside a ship and then hard breaching the floor to suck it all out to the barge, blowing the cockpit apart to ram it into the salvage while cutting the glass apart on the move, stuff like that. There isn't a real time pressure since you can do as many shifts as you want, but it's fun to try and do it all in one or two for a large ship.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 9, 2023