Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hello campers! I assume there is some kind of camping mega-thread buried in a subforum but I could not find it so I am making a thread in GBS. I am planning some kind of long form camping trip next month in the northern ontario wilderness. I have several options, a number of my companions want to go to Algonquin National Park. This is a fairly picturesque area of wilderness specifically for camping. It has marked off sites, and pre-made firepits but its still basically back country. Many of the site have no road access and require a multiple day canoe or hike to reach. The area is also partolled by park wardens who make sure no one is camping off-site or fishing without a permit (camping cops :argh:)

I would prefer to try something different. Here in Canada 95% of the land is just unclaimed wilderness owned by the queen of england. Lizzy is kind enough to allow canadian citizens to camp on her land at any one "site" for up to 21 days at a time. a new "site" can be like 100m away from the old site, so you can technically just wander the perimeter of a small lake and you would be fine. and there are lots of unclaimed small lakes (full of tasty fish!) in crown land:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/recreational-activities-on-crown-land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZo5pq9viqI

My companions think we will be murdered if we try the crown land, but I doubt we will even see any humans. Hopefully I can convince them! I have been updating my camping gear for our backwoods adventure (we want to try for two weeks). In the past I was more of a tent guy but I am trying something different this time. I have heard a lot of hype about hammock camping and it seems very appealing to me. No hard ground or heavy mat to carry, no bugs or water or whatever! I also got a new kind of camping stove. The Biolite 2 uses some kind of sorcery to generate electricity from heat It then uses this juice to powers a bellows so you can make a blast furnace out of twigs and pinecones. It produces a surplus of electricity so it can recharge phones by just burning twigs :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF6dR8fSGvU

feel free to post in this thread about your own summer camping plans as well as any sick camping gear you own. this thread is definitely for camping only and not for discussion of living rent-free in the canadian wilderness.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Goddamn, they're about to get hosed up

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ante posted:

Goddamn, they're about to get hosed up

very likely. i've seen a moose in Algonquin park once. it was lucky for us it was swimming across a lake, and we were in a canoe so quite a bit faster than moose swimming speed. we booked it post haste

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was in algonquin once already this year, bugs were not fun. bring a mosquito net.

I've always wondered about crown land, from what I can tell most anywhere you can camp people can also hunt, which would stress me out TBH.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I'm taking my two boys backpacking up in the Ventana Wilderness just south of Big Sur in two weeks. I haven't been up there is two decades, so it'll be cool to see how it's changed.

If all goes well, we'll make it a regular thing.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Nice post op. But Why would you need a cell phone in the wilderness? There shouldn’t be coverage.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

Nice post op. But Why would you need a cell phone in the wilderness? There shouldn’t be coverage.

i really meant Nintendo Switch lite

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Walrus posted:

I was in algonquin once already this year, bugs were not fun. bring a mosquito net.

I've always wondered about crown land, from what I can tell most anywhere you can camp people can also hunt, which would stress me out TBH.

you will die.

it's impossible to camp without death, frankly, which is why I'm confused as to why they keep making these camp sites and people keep going to, and using them. Non-stop torrents of bodies pour from the north woods, or whole families disappear whole hourly, begged by loved ones not to go, but they do. They do.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i took the fam camping way back in the boonies once and the dumb dog kissed a porcupine. twice.

also the fuckers that were there a week or two earlier had no loving idea how to poo poo in the woods.
seriously, how loving hard is it to dig a little slit trench behind a fallen tree?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just grab a shotgun and sit behind a corner, paw always said

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Camping is rad, especially winter camping but since this is the summer camping thread I don't know if those discussions are appropriate.

Most of my summer camping experiences involve an excess of mosquitoes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Two words: Ticks and No

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hot dogs over a campfire is the really only good way to make hot dogs.

Also, if you wrap them in bacon and undercook the bacon too, it's divine.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

corgski posted:

Camping is rad, especially winter camping but since this is the summer camping thread I don't know if those discussions are appropriate.

Most of my summer camping experiences involve an excess of mosquitoes.

you can post about winter camping if you want. this is the thread about camping: summer edition. not specifically about camping in the summer

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Another time we went redneck rv'n with a home built slide-in camper on a 1 ton truck. We were at Horse Creek Hot Springs campground and in the middle of the night a big BIG fuckin herd of elk ran through the campground. They was loud and hell and shook the ground. Mrs d8 bolted up out of a sound sleep and bonked her head on the ceiling while I was laughing and yelling OMG EARTHQUAKE EARTHQUAKE WE ALL GONNA DIE!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

dee eight posted:

Another time we went redneck rv'n with a home built slide-in camper on a 1 ton truck. We were at Horse Creek Hot Springs campground and in the middle of the night a big BIG fuckin herd of elk ran through the campground. They was loud and hell and shook the ground. Mrs d8 bolted up out of a sound sleep and bonked her head on the ceiling while I was laughing and yelling OMG EARTHQUAKE EARTHQUAKE WE ALL GONNA DIE!

Thankfully only 6 or 7 of us did, though. Haha, classic D.

naem
May 29, 2011

I bought boots

going to walk around by some trees and stuff

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Rutibex posted:

you can post about winter camping if you want. this is the thread about camping: summer edition. not specifically about camping in the summer

Oh neat! So my first bit of advice for winter camping is bring a big hand saw. You will be keeping yourself warm through your work as much as you will through the fire you build. Chainsaws are labor savers but they're heavy and finicky and you don't get nearly as warm using one. The second is to find or construct a lean-to where you're camping both as a wind break and to contain the heat of the fire. Where I go camping there are a bunch of CCC lean-tos scattered through the woods but you can also find a rock face or just stack a bunch of fallen branches and pine boughs against some trees to get at least some protection from the wind. The third is never go winter camping alone, it's a lot harder to walk in the snow if you're completely healthy - if you're injured it can be loving impossible. Always go in a group.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Rutibex posted:

very likely. i've seen a moose in Algonquin park once. it was lucky for us it was swimming across a lake, and we were in a canoe so quite a bit faster than moose swimming speed. we booked it post haste

I saw this one summer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

corgski posted:

Oh neat! So my first bit of advice for winter camping is bring a big hand saw. You will be keeping yourself warm through your work as much as you will through the fire you build. Chainsaws are labor savers but they're heavy and finicky and you don't get nearly as warm using one. The second is to find or construct a lean-to where you're camping both as a wind break and to contain the heat of the fire. Where I go camping there are a bunch of CCC lean-tos scattered through the woods but you can also find a rock face or just stack a bunch of fallen branches and pine boughs against some trees to get at least some protection from the wind. The third is never go winter camping alone, it's a lot harder to walk in the snow if you're completely healthy - if you're injured it can be loving impossible. Always go in a group.

According the the California National Forest site, if I start a campfire they'll murder me and fire my corpse into space.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

corgski posted:

this seems like very sensible advice. i would personally never go camping alone in any season that's just asking for trouble. i've only gone winter camping once, when i was a boy scout. i did not bring appropriate boots for the weather so i had a very poor experience. i would like to try it again, it seems like an interesting challenge (also no bugs!) do you do any ice fishing when you go?

Spinz posted:

I saw this one summer

:hmmyes:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

According the the California National Forest site, if I start a campfire they'll murder me and fire my corpse into space.

Don't go winter camping in places with burn bans.

Rutibex posted:

this seems like very sensible advice. i would personally never go camping alone in any season that's just asking for trouble. i've only gone winter camping once, when i was a boy scout. i did not bring appropriate boots for the weather so i had a very poor experience. i would like to try it again, it seems like an interesting challenge (also no bugs!) do you do any ice fishing when you go?

I haven't! It's all rivers and creeks where I go and moving water doesn't freeze as fast. I'd like to do that one of these days but I'll probably have to go up to like southern tier NY to get someplace consistently cold enough.

corgski fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 18, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

q!=edit

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

You can rent a RV and like go to a KOA. Tow your car along behind for making a run to the grocery/liquor store. Heck you can even walk under some trees if you feel like going eXeTreMe camping! S'mores under the stars, just like Jerimiah Johnston and Lewis Clark.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I like how most Ontario Parks have photos of each campsite so you can shop for ideal site conditions when you book. I mostly only have wussy car camping experience but whatever. I like Fitzroy and Emily parks a lot.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Metaline posted:

I like how most Ontario Parks have photos of each campsite so you can shop for ideal site conditions when you book. I mostly only have wussy car camping experience but whatever. I like Fitzroy and Emily parks a lot.

the pro move is to use google earth satellite pictures, then you can find ideal sites in places no human has traveled in a century

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rutibex posted:

the pro move is to use google earth satellite pictures, then you can find ideal sites in places no human has traveled in a century

But then you can't have an electricity hook up and can't spend your camping trip looking at your phone.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

But then you can't have an electricity hook up and can't spend your camping trip looking at your phone.

yes you can did you not see the biolite 2

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Camping is fun I haven't done it in ages, though. I got invited to go out to Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior a couple of years ago. The group was planning on hiking for about a week, and practically circumnavigating the island wilderness preserve. Two of the people that had signed on were heavy drinkers, and nobody was in good shape. I took a pass on that one. They ended up cutting their trip short when one of the hikers overindulged on whiskey the first night in, and was pale, puking, and hungover. Most folks didn't have enough socks or decent boots and ended up with blisters and foot pain.

I did North Manitou Island on Lake Michigan a few years ago, We managed to circumnavigate the island in 3 days or so. I would've done things a little differently but overall it was a good experience.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Camping is fun Red Dead Redemption style out here in the Joshua Tree area of California Hot as poo poo yes, but cool and night and no bugs. Too bad no more lonesome whistles of steam trains passing in the night, though.

Snakes aren't really a big deal and it's much better than bears mauling/bugs biting you to death.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

At least I don’t take an RV to a campsite! Tent sites don’t usually have hookups around here.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The_Continental posted:

Camping is fun I haven't done it in ages, though. I got invited to go out to Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior a couple of years ago. The group was planning on hiking for about a week, and practically circumnavigating the island wilderness preserve. Two of the people that had signed on were heavy drinkers, and nobody was in good shape. I took a pass on that one. They ended up cutting their trip short when one of the hikers overindulged on whiskey the first night in, and was pale, puking, and hungover. Most folks didn't have enough socks or decent boots and ended up with blisters and foot pain.

I did North Manitou Island on Lake Michigan a few years ago, We managed to circumnavigate the island in 3 days or so. I would've done things a little differently but overall it was a good experience.

whiskey is not efficient for ultralite backpacking. weed gives you a much better weight/intoxication ratio

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Metaline posted:

Tent sites don’t usually have hookups around here.

gonna open up a tindr based tent campsite
call it timbr maybe

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
how do I find places to free camp that wont get me hosed up for trespassing?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

google earth and check for hobo camps also avoid any that don't have at least 2.5 stars

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9XIC9P4UV0

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

Algonquin is my second home. I’ve been on one short trip this season (when they finally opened the backcountry) and I’ll be spending 18 days of July there, 10 days of that being a solo one-way trip across the park. Also I use a sea kayak instead of a canoe.

Algonquin is busy near the access points and quiet in the interior. Get over a long portage or two and the number of people you encounter drops dramatically. But it’s not really true wilderness - the park is crisscrossed with logging roads, they’re just careful to keep them away from the hiking and canoe routes.

Still, it’s my favourite place anywhere.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I heard they put real bugs in the bug juice.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Is this thread a cry for help OP? Does "long camping trip" really mean you're going out there to uh...to off yourself? Please don't do that. I know the world is dogshit right now, but do not go gently into that good night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Ignore all burn bans and if instructed to put your campfire out, intentionally burn down the whole forest. They deserve it for inconveniencing you.