Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«73 »
KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Rarity posted:

Sorry, pigs are pigs

its okay, they're astronaut construction workers now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

A former roommate of Stroud just made the worst accusations against him yet. Genuinely horrifying including drugging and surprise sex.

https://twitter.com/scottheisel/sta...632255545016322

Jesus christ this dude needs to be in jail

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

OctoberCountry posted:

Jesus christ this dude needs to be in jail

Yep. I'm in favor of carceral reform, but honestly, I see no reason to try to "rehabilitate" people who do things like this, especially repeatedly. I just don't think it's possible. They can, and will, only do harm to others. Stroud, Dave Crist, and Joey Ryan should be locked away in (humane) facilities for the rest of their natural lives.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Benne posted:

There are literally no good cops hth

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Io "Stolen Valor" Shirai

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Benne posted:

rotinaj
Sep 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

Officer Cabana would disagree but he’d be wrong, acab

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

plz remember that it was ~ME~ who told you that everything you like is actually really not good, because I knew all along.

Uproxx regarding Brandon Stroud https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/wit...x-announcement/

quote:

Recently, allegations of inappropriate behavior by one of our employees came to our attention. We are deeply disturbed by these allegations. We condemn discrimination and harassment of any kind. There’s no place for it in our business.

We took immediate action, including placing the employee on leave, suspending the publication of With Spandex, and launching an internal investigation into the employee’s behavior. Pending the outcome of the investigation, we will take appropriate action.

— Uproxx Management

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

So after nearly two weeks of complete radio silence Uproxx has finally released an official statement on Brandon Stroud by, uh, going out of their way to not mention him at all

quote:

Recently, allegations of inappropriate behavior by one of our employees came to our attention. We are deeply disturbed by these allegations. We condemn discrimination and harassment of any kind. There’s no place for it in our business.

We took immediate action, including placing the employee on leave, suspending the publication of With Spandex, and launching an internal investigation into the employee’s behavior. Pending the outcome of the investigation, we will take appropriate action.

— Uproxx Management

edit:
beaten

OctoberCountry fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 30, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

uproxx should go on leave from existing. Leave existence (for good)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

Excuse me, I'd like to
speak to the moderator

"Two weeks ago we heard multiple stories that one of our writers was a rapist. We have not yet taken any action and we will continue to take no action until further notice"

Jonny Nox
Apr 25, 2008

Rarity posted:

"Two weeks ago we heard multiple stories that one of our writers was a rapist. We have not yet taken any action and we will continue to take no action until further notice"

That's unfair, they put all his coworkers out of work

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Who wants to say I'm sorry
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah Watching the aftermath of this sucks.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

They weren't even his coworkers. Stroud was EIC of Uproxx's wrestling vertical and they're still protecting his name while loving over all his subordinates and freelancers.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

lol what a chickenshit statement

I'm pretty convinced that Stroud has something on upper management, a lot of these allegations have been out there for years and they consistently went out of their way to protect him. Now they give him the weakest of "punishments" (what are the odds he's on paid leave?) while leaving the rest of the writers twisting in the wind. I would not be at all shocked if they try to quietly bring him back in a few months.

gently caress Uproxx.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

BROTHER I WANT YOU TO JOIN THE DSA AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE AWARD WINNING WWE NETWORK FOR ONLY $9.99 A MONTH

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=137581
Apparently this person was behind SPLX as well as being an NXT UK Ref

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

plz remember that it was ~ME~ who told you that everything you like is actually really not good, because I knew all along.

Ligero's parents are harassing victims who spoke out

https://twitter.com/JamesBacon96/st...854909304619008

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Who wants to say I'm sorry
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

OctoberCountry posted:

They weren't even his coworkers. Stroud was EIC of Uproxx's wrestling vertical and they're still protecting his name while loving over all his subordinates and freelancers.

This.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

With Spandex (Stroud's Uproxx site) is out of the dropdown sports menu.

So With Spandex is probably closing, or at least has a long "current and former writers can't say anything" period. It's a genuine bummer that so many excellent writers have come and gone through a horrific EIC when they've all done good work while still being allowed to inject a lot of personality. They've had Impact reviews focused solely on the knockouts, Total Divas/Bellas reviews written by Emily and others, it was genuinely a good site to go for mainstream women's wrestling coverage.

And they're letting every one of them on staff and anyone who read it down.

https://twitter.com/emilyofpratt/st...145667945230339

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

Just found this thread, and yikes. Looks like we should've listened to that old trope "wrestling characters are your real personality turned up to 11" when Joey Ryan played a creepy harassing slimeball so well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

I SURVIVED THE AWFUL BLOCK, AGDQ 2018

"Oh, it's been months, lemme catch up with the wrestling n...oh."

This Stroud thing blindsided me too, the big accusation wasn't the first one either, right? Was Lobster still writing for them?

Schneider Heim
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/1517681678...78746872386815/

No official statement yet on what these people have done but hmmmmm...

John Sebastian has worked a match against LGBT+ tag team before and he spouted slurs at them and trampled on the Pride flag that they brought to the ring. It might have been a work but it made me very uncomfortable.

Kapitan Juan Tutan is a pun on "kantutan" which means sex in Tagalog. He also has a dick spot wherein he blocks a strike with it, hurting his opponent. I kind of liked him, though? He worked as an earnest face, and became a chickenshit heel just last year.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/stat...207116205912064

Half the questions are why he hasn't said anything about the #SpeakingOut movement

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

ME BOSS
YOU NOT

Saw this on squaredcircle, apparently Darby had given some DMs to Tony Khan to back up his side of the abuse allegations and it was enough for them to bring him back to TV soon. They also say Jimmy Havoc is likely completely done with wrestling post-rehab.

https://reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/...in_turned_over/

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If AEW wanted to bring Darby back early they didn't need much to justify it to themselves; it's gonna be the same with Sammy. It's clear they see those two as the future, so they'll have a longer leash than anybody else regardless of what they do to deserve or not deserve that, and it won't change that a) Darby still has multiple other accusers and b) Sammy still said those awful things and a week isn't enough to get rid of that

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

ME BOSS
YOU NOT

Yeah, making an example of Havoc doesn’t show much because he’s older and overall not important to AEW’s future.

The young group of future face of the company talent for AEW is clearly Sammy, Darby, MJF and Jungle Boy, and I agree that they more likely to do what they can to protect their investment in them when things like this arise.

Sammy is a circumstance where I think the current punishment is proportionate as long as they follow through. Its something fixable and it wasn’t something that makes him a threat to their other workers. Darby is tougher because there’s more direct abuse allegations and not just saying something real lovely on a podcast.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BWR_UK/status/1...9859019778?s=19

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/stat...207116205912064

Half the questions are why he hasn't said anything about the #SpeakingOut movement

What was the tweet?

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

fatherofmustard posted:

What was the tweet?

It was New Japan announcing a fan's questions interview with zsj.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

fatherofmustard posted:

What was the tweet?

Pretty plain "ask ZSJ some questions for an interview" bit

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's just copsplay.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Paige's mom happy to announce she's unretired, still an abuser http://womenspw.com/saraya-knight-r...out-retirement/

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

lol get hosed jimmy havoc no one will miss you

Jonny Nox
Apr 25, 2008

Raffles posted:

lol get hosed jimmy havoc no one will miss you

I'll miss him a little... (he needs to go away though)

JOHN CENA
Oct 20, 2006

You don't seem to get it, do you? I'll NEVER give up, not with the power of [MY TIME IS NOW] beside me!

Jonny Nox posted:

I'll miss him a little...

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

He was a fun tag team with Kip.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Hopefully Luther can tag with kip in his place. Seriously though I hope havoc is gone and won't even be living with kip.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 22, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I think it’s fair for someone to miss jimmy havok the character, not jimmy havok the person.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

Excuse me, I'd like to
speak to the moderator

Marmaduke! posted:

Hopefully Luther can tag with kip in his place. Seriously though I hope havoc is gone and won't even be living with kip.

Have Luther move in with Kip and Penelope and make a show out of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016
Congrats to Bix on his fav character King K Rool getting into smash!

OctoberCountry posted:

My understanding is that he was literally the only salaried staffer with benefits at With Spandex. Not to defend UPROXX, but it seems like that contributed to the specific decisions, i.e. suspending With Spandex instead of promoting someone to interim editor in chief. The fact that With Spandex was so much Stroud's Thing and so heavily identified with him probably didn't help. Still, there have to be various options better than "screw every one of his freelancers out of work."

Benne posted:

I'm pretty convinced that Stroud has something on upper management, a lot of these allegations have been out there for years and they consistently went out of their way to protect him.
I have no specific reason to think that's the case, but you're not the first person I've speculate about that with how much his general creepiness had become fairly common knowledge. I'm not sure how much was floating around other than the "stole nudes off a female wrestler's phone" allegation before the last few weeks, though. What I've heard is that they did look into that allegation a few years ago but nothing happened because they couldn't substantiate it. That does make sense, though, because the wrestler at the center of it denies all knowledge of the story.

«73 »