Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

aye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

sorry for saying that on a new page. i was trying to be flippant at dave's insanity.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

edit: I didn't pay good enough attention to which thread this was. I'm deleting this "irreverent post" out of respect for the proper subject and replacing it with this notice.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I have absolutely heard that term being used that way being in high school in the early 2000s, and it loving sucks.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Yeah I remember my brother using it a lot around 2010(?)

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Why are people mad at Dave for that?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i mean, if you go into any online game with voice chat right now, you're probably going to hear some lovely teenagers using that word and a whole host of other words. he doesn't even remotely defend it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I wouldn’t say it was common, but I definitely heard some of the douchier guys in my high school say something like that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

PASS THE MASH posted:

Censoring gently caress but not rape...is an interesting choice.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think when you say "common" it SOUNDS like you're saying "it was a different time" or justifying it within different context. I think its clear that's not what he's doing in that quote but I can understand why some people tensed up if he's saying other questionable things on the broader subject as poster seem to be indicating.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Well gently caress is considered a curse word and rape isn’t

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Censoring gently caress when he says it all the time on WOR has always bugged me.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Having never heard anyone say it before, it struck me as Dave adding a backstory for Sammy's words that I don't think Sammy himself has done, as well as ignoring Sammy's stated reason that he said it for shock value to pop the room.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
totally heard it a lot in high school and poo poo. totally heard it all time even recently in video games and people using it just as a word for being double teamed in fps games. its just used as common slag and replaced with the word gently caress because people just associate it as the same thing which is vile.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Has anything come out about the trainer who sends his female trainees videos in a thong where he then shows his dick that someone sent to Dave? Because what the gently caress.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

totally heard it a lot in high school and poo poo. totally heard it all time even recently in video games and people using it just as a word for being double teamed in fps games. its just used as common slag and replaced with the word gently caress because people just associate it as the same thing which is vile.

one of the most popular and famous internet personalities of all time got famous in the first place recording videos of himself playing horror games and just screaming the word over and over again in a high pitched voice whenever bad things happened

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I was friends with a lot of dirtbags in highschool so yes, I have heard it used a lot exactly like that. If I'm being charitable I read that as Dave cutting off any defenders arguments.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I said a lot of lovely things in high school and i'm a millenial but never was "rape" used in the way Dave claims, maybe it's a zoomer thing but I doubt that.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

No I'm in my early 30s and people in my high school said it too and also well after

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

I said a lot of lovely things in high school and i'm a millenial but never was "rape" used in the way Dave claims, maybe it's a zoomer thing but I doubt that.

I’m 34 and I certainly never said it but I heard it a few times, always by someone I wouldn’t be surprised to find out was guilty of actually doing it.

I don’t think anyone here is saying it’s normal or commonplace, just that lovely people have actually said that before.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I heard it a lot in middle school, that was it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat My Fuc posted:

Have you never gone on Xbox Live or watched an illegal stream? Maybe Live has cleaned up (Twitch slowly is) but if women said anything you'd hear rape comments and whenever women are on anything being streamed the reddit CHUDs immediately spam that. And if any POC are on screen you get slurs. Around the time I joined these forums I had been sexually assaulted and thought it would be sooo edgy and ironic to use a screen name like that based off an story or urban legend at my high school that someone had tried to use a yearbook nickname about how they were a Rapper and didn't quite realize how it would actually be pronounced. No one even commented on it for 10 years because poo poo like that was so normal on edgy forums. Feels lovely looking back as I'd only thought about my feelings and anger and not anyone else reading it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think it's very much a "who you hung out with" thing. Also, the reason I think Dave is trying to cut off arguments is because I think anyone who defends it is going to use that defense. They're going to be people where it was common as teens and they never ever grew up or developed from there so to them it's still common and probably still in their sad vocabulary as a 40 year old.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

If you play MTG and want to act like you haven't heard a dozen white dudes refer to any one-sided victory(or trade) as a rape(in between calling each other "sir" at the end of every sentence) at your local store or a tournament a billion times you're lying

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gumball Gumption posted:

They're going to be people where it was common as teens and they never ever grew up or developed from there so to them it's still common and probably still in their sad vocabulary as a 40 year old.

Didn't realize you knew my older brother.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Using “rape” when you talk about winning heavily (whether it be in video games, watching sports, etc) was definitely common when I was in high school and college, and I’m 34. But like using certain ableist terms, it’s something that both people have grown out of and is has become far less acceptable as widely.

This is even outside of super woke territories.

Doesn’t mean it still doesn’t exist, just has tailed off quite a bit in the last decade-plus.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

harperdc posted:

Using “rape” when you talk about winning heavily (whether it be in video games, watching sports, etc) was definitely common when I was in high school and college, and I’m 34. But like using certain ableist terms, it’s something that both people have grown out of and is has become far less acceptable as widely.

This is even outside of super woke territories.

Doesn’t mean it still doesn’t exist, just has tailed off quite a bit in the last decade-plus.

mid 30s here and i saw it used in that way plenty of times in high school/college but almost never like in a "woman is hot" way, and the one or two times I did hear it like that the room and attitude of everyone around got real awkward and skeeved out by the person that said it. and none of these people were woke or anything at all, even by 2000-2005 standards

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It was definitely an edgelord slang thing on par with "owned" for a while on top of the woman poo poo. It sucks and it was real.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
A lot of people are reminiscing about the old days of this forum recently, so it is weird that people are pretending to be shocked about people being lovely in the past. Think of the dumbest guy you knew growing up and ask yourself if you would be surprised they would make jokes in bad taste.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Meltzer is not wrong here. He's at most being tactless, but then again that's kinda his thing.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

"Rape" is STILL really irritatingly common parlance in the MMA community outside of SA, and we were still pretty bad with it not that long ago. I'm pretty sure if I went through my posts from 10-15 years ago I'd be deeply embarrassed.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
All of this is personal experience but in high school "rape" was a really common joke along with dead baby jokes and other early internet humor. One of my friends pulled me aside and explained to me what she had been through so I tried to put a stop to that kind of joke among my friends and half of them agreed is was disgusting and inappropriate once they knew someone it happened to and the other part thought it was funnier to use it more often.

I believe that in Sammy's instance nobody ever sat his rear end down or he didn't have any personal experience with the issue so he was just saying dumb poo poo, especially considering what kind of stuff is coming out about the wrestling bubble where people would both joke and practice those things.

However the other story about Sammy holding down someone down is absolutely gross, having ignorant, edgy humor when you were young is a whole different monster than assault.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Paige's response is bullshit because, as pointed out on Reddit, she laughs and jokes with Austin about this stuff in the interview they did. Well she laughs and jokes, Austin looks somewhat uncomfortable with it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PASS THE MASH posted:

They can't read past the first sentence apparently

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
“It’s not rape, it’s chomp wad” was a “joke” I heard loving everywhere between high school, Boy Scouts, and the internet in the late 90s/early 00s. And here we are twenty years later and I heard what sounded like a thirteen year old boy say it while playing Overwatch literally two weeks ago, and it was in response to the only female player asking for heals.

EDIT: Apparently there’s a filter for it on the forums, that’s how prevalent it was/is. I’m sure you all know what it’s supposed to be.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

chomp wad. i really am saying chomp wad, and i'll say it again when you least expect it.

edit: hell. I keep not paying attention to the thread I'm in. if i'm allowed this one last gently caress up i will make absolutely certain that i never mess about in this thread again.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Chomp wad

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I had to preview that reply three times to realize the filter wouldn’t let the actual phrase through, I thought I was losing my loving mind.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Quack just posted... whatever the gently caress this is

https://twitter.com/MikeQuackenbush/status/1276863422756421635

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

The thumbnail alone made me nope out.