Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah if you trace back the original rumour that was out there about Stroud it was all message board chatter that was referring back to a deleted Reddit post. Everything else about Stroud - far as I know - has been recent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/AustinAries/status/1278415642933129216

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

What the actual gently caress?! :stare:

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

holy poo poo go the gently caress away Aries

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Do I even want to know what the bizarre loving story behind this is? I feel like there are probably trunk loads of Aries stories that haven't seen the light of day yet.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I want to think that this is the Christy Hemme incident but gently caress giving him a listen on any platform.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TV Zombie posted:

I want to think that this is the Christy Hemme incident but gently caress giving him a listen on any platform.

Nope, this is referring to an incident with Rhett Titus's girlfriend

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

wow. what a garbage human.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Austin teaching everyone the important lesson of don't bring a girl to the wrestling show, right ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g3qQy1RsUU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I mean "if you see austin aries, immediately begin pummeling him with any weapon available, it will definitely be self defense" IS a lesson you can teach...

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

It's not sexual assault as long as you're proving a point and teaching a lesson. Got it. Reported.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What a miserable loving piece of poo poo

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

if I ever see austin aries in person I am going to beat his rear end with a lead pipe but it's ok because I'm just teaching him a lesson so he cant do anything about it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's harrowing that he openly admits to his power fantasy reasons for sexually assaulting people. i know it's not functionally different from people who lie about that but it's more distressing to be able to see him barreling through life with his goals in mind and how he's clearly not done.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz37qRsH6KQ

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

projecthalaxy posted:

I mean "if you see austin aries, immediately begin pummeling him with any weapon available, it will definitely be self defense" IS a lesson you can teach...

hard to argue with the facts

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A Michael Elgin video titled "Hopefully you'll listen" is a good way to ensure I don't even click, let alone listen

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

If you're trying to put out a video to address accusations about yourself, maybe don't do it with a mouthful of chew ffs.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm not watching that, is he still as dull and un-charismatic as he was in his worked wrestling promos?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah if you trace back the original rumour that was out there about Stroud it was all message board chatter that was referring back to a deleted Reddit post. Everything else about Stroud - far as I know - has been recent.
It wasn't just a Reddit story. I'm pretty sure I heard it before it hit Reddit.

As for the Elgin video: What's the first allegation he's talking about? I didn't see that anywhere.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RealFoxy posted:

Austin teaching everyone the important lesson of don't bring a girl to the wrestling show, right ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g3qQy1RsUU

The incredibly hosed up part of this is like... Titus and King don't seem to have any real problem with this. They make it clear the guys in the locker room didn't and were creeps too. "Lots of stuff happened." Titus is clearly angrier at the girl than Aries. "gently caress this bitch." Then he boasts that he went and had sex with her "on the catwalk" to prove what a man he is. And like... they basically tell the story like Aries is the hero, the locker room leader, who taught them the lesson of women's natures or some poo poo.

Its so hosed up and I'm not even sure Aries is the part that grosses me out the most.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, that entire story is a case study in the different ways society's assumption that men are uncontrollable predators fucks with us.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, like the basic premise is "Don't bring a pretty girl to the locker room because all the wrestlers are perverts and predators and they're gonna be pervs to your girl and she'll just do it because bitches and you gotta bang her good to show you and them who the man is."

Aries is basically a bit player in the story. Which in no way is meant to alleviate his own part in the horrific story.

Benne posted:

I'm not watching that, is he still as dull and un-charismatic as he was in his worked wrestling promos?

Its meandering and whiny.
- Says someone accused him of something in a hotel room but there were 4 other wrestlers there who all agree he made a move on her and she turned him down so...
- Says someone said he sent a dick pick but he was drunk and doesn't remember and its not his dick and he apologized so...
- Says someone said he called them fat but he didn't do it and it hurt his feelings because he grew up obese so...
- Says he doesn't like wrestling anymore and is selling his collectibles.
- Says he had to spend his son's college and Disney fund to defend himself against something that's been discredited.
- Says some story about peeing on a girl but says it was exaggerated to sell DVDs and he shouldn't have done it but it was just to sell DVDs so...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, we might get Jimmy Havoc and Michael Elgin both retiring out of this? I'll take it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, like the basic premise is "Don't bring a pretty girl to the locker room because all the wrestlers are perverts and predators and they're gonna be pervs to your girl and she'll just do it because bitches and you gotta bang her good to show you and them who the man is."

Aries is basically a bit player in the story. Which in no way is meant to alleviate his own part in the horrific story.

Its meandering and whiny.
- Says someone accused him of something in a hotel room but there were 4 other wrestlers there who all agree he made a move on her and she turned him down so...
- Says someone said he sent a dick pick but he was drunk and doesn't remember and its not his dick and he apologized so...
- Says someone said he called them fat but he didn't do it and it hurt his feelings because he grew up obese so...
- Says he had to spend his son's college and Disney fund to defend himself against something that's been discredited.
- Says some story about peeing on a girl but says it was exaggerated to sell DVDs and he shouldn't have done it but it was just to sell DVDs so...

Yeah, and I know guys who've pulled the Aries "I was teaching a lesson" poo poo and got away with it for a long time because a lot of people bought it. The idea that they're not a creep, they're just warning someone that real creeps exist. Always with some sort of warning about how there are a lot of scumbags in this scene and you need people who'll teach you how to watch out for the really lovely ones. They can hide their predatory behavior under the guise of "there are worse predators out there and I'm just helping".

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

J-Ro posted:

If you're trying to put out a video to address accusations about yourself, maybe don't do it with a mouthful of chew ffs.

does he also rant about AOC and Nancy Pelosi. It’s required of the genre

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

WrasslorMonkey posted:

It's not sexual assault as long as you're proving a point and teaching a lesson. Got it. Reported.

Him sticking his dick in Hemme's face was somehow not sexual harrasment because he didn't want to gently caress her. That's something that he legit argued.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/with-spandex-announcement/

Stroud's been fired, With Spandex is done

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Chris James 2 posted:

A Michael Elgin video titled "Hopefully you'll listen" is a good way to ensure I don't even click, let alone listen

I'm fairly certain, without even clicking on Elgin's video, that if you swap the audio from his video with the audio from this one, it'd have roughly the same amount of substance and value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKQ3ZNQ_O8

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Better late than never I guess. Hopefully the other writers can land back on their feet.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Maybe someone who was more of a regular With Spandex reader than me—I generally just read Emily's features and interviews—can answer this, but is the idea that the With Spandex brand was too intertwined with Stroud to keep alive really a valid one?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the better question is probably did the with spandex brand have any specific value that would be lost by dropping the corny name and making a clean break, and the answer is no

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

like the name itself was a reference to a sports blog with a dumb name derived from a deadspin joke, and then it outlived the derivative sports blog, so it was basically so far removed from its origin as to be nonsensical

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's not like the With Spandex name has any deep history or something -- it was literally just a play on words based on the old blog Stroud started writing for, (which itself was named after an obscure Chris Berman meme), which got spun off into its own vertical when Uproxx bought With Leather.

There's really no reason why they couldn't have rebranded and kept the other writers on, especially if they're still planning to cover wrestling.

E: SNV said it way better than me

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 3, 2020

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

davidbix posted:

Maybe someone who was more of a regular With Spandex reader than me—I generally just read Emily's features and interviews—can answer this, but is the idea that the With Spandex brand was too intertwined with Stroud to keep alive really a valid one?

Once upon a time it was a little less directly connected, but be it because of budget or ego, it had become a lot more the Brandon Stroud show with time. Like, if you look at the last couple months of articles it posted, nearly all of the actual longform commentary posts were Stroud; there'd be the occasional NJPW report or someone filling in for him when he was sick/traveling/busy sexually harassing someone, but virtually all the non-Stroud posts are quick two-paragraph news blurbs that you could get by just looking at twitter for thirty seconds, whereas in that same span of time you'd have Stroud churning out like four or five Best/Worst columns a week.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah. Like with the "Best and Worst" pieces, you'd see Stroud do in one week:

- Raw
- Smackdown
- NXT
- Dynamite
- possible PPV
- retro review of Superstars
- retro review of a Raw/Nitro/PPV from the Monday Night War. Two of these if there was no new PPV that week.

The reviews of new stuff could easily be given to other people, though while others have already done variations of Best and Worst for less mainstream stuff (NJPW, Impact, Dark), the format is so attached to Stroud that it might not feel worth it. This is especially apparent with his retro articles. Personally, I really enjoyed those when I wasn't aware what a dickbag monster Stroud is, but if someone were to continue where he left off, it would feel really gross since it reads more as part of a whole narrative where reading the Stroud stuff is necessary.

The modern Raw and Smackdown reviews were really starting to break Stroud, so getting out of that responsibility was some real monkey's paw poo poo.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Ophidian

https://twitter.com/OutSpk/status/1278854487646535680

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I dunno man, brand new account, a couple of posts both about Quack & Chikara, no follows, it's not from the alledged victim themselves... Could be anybody.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/emilyofpratt/status/1279106342716760070

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
On the new Observer Radio April Hunter told her story of being offered a WWE developmental deal that was contingent on her breaking up with her boyfriend because they wanted her to be single and "did not want to fund an interracial relationship."