Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If you can’t think of 100 wrestlers today better than Marty, you just need to watch more companies one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rotinaj posted:

am i wrong or is cancellation misspelled in that, too

Being petty, but I think I'm allowed to be petty

Either way is correct :eng101:

The 2 L version is pretty common but 1 L is still correct as I've always understood it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'd like to imagine he got in because he was 1/3rd of the ROH World Six Man Tag Team Champion for slightly under 2 weeks of 2020.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that feels like "we're a kayfabe publication so like he fits there but we know he shouldn't be there but instead of doing the logical thing and just leaving him off we're gonna do this."

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tonfa posted:

The list has never had any artistic value. It's just wrestlers the average Western fan is most likely able to name and they don't actually think about anything when compiling it

One year had both Hijo de Fantasma and King Cuerno in at separate spots (it's the same guy) and also talked about how good AR Fox was on Lucha Underground as Killshot (Killshot was Shane Strickland).

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that feels like "we're a kayfabe publication so like he fits there but we know he shouldn't be there but instead of doing the logical thing and just leaving him off we're gonna do this."
Hasn't been a kayfabe publication in years, but the 500 is still more "accomplishments" than "who's the best peformer."

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

StarkRavingMad posted:

One year had both Hijo de Fantasma and King Cuerno in at separate spots (it's the same guy) and also talked about how good AR Fox was on Lucha Underground as Killshot (Killshot was Shane Strickland).
The best one was when NJPW had picked up momentum in the west again and they ranked Hiroyoshi Tenzan near the top because they confused him with Hiroshi Tanahashi.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

davidbix posted:

The best one was when NJPW had picked up momentum in the west again and they ranked Hiroyoshi Tenzan near the top because they confused him with Hiroshi Tanahashi.

Maybe Suzaku was an editor

there will be maybe three people who get that joke

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's not the PWI 500 if there isn't at least one glaring mistake. It's become a bit of a running joke.

davidbix posted:

Hasn't been a kayfabe publication in years, but the 500 is still more "accomplishments" than "who's the best peformer."

It''s always been who's had the "best" year during the rankings period (usually something like July to July). Ability plays into it, but not as much as titles won/held, caliber of opponents/feuds, and main event appearances.

PWI has also issued an apology.

https://twitter.com/OfficialPWI/status/1301243032591888386?s=20
https://twitter.com/OfficialPWI/status/1301243034361827329?s=20
https://twitter.com/OfficialPWI/status/1301243036253540353?s=20
https://twitter.com/OfficialPWI/status/1301243038111395840?s=20
https://twitter.com/OfficialPWI/status/1301243039097196548?s=20

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Christ, I thought that was Mad Kurt trolling with a photoshop; I can’t believe it’s real

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Davros1 posted:

It's not the PWI 500 if there isn't at least one glaring mistake. It's become a bit of a running joke.

It''s always been who's had the "best" year during the rankings period (usually something like July to July). Ability plays into it, but not as much as titles won/held, caliber of opponents/feuds, and main event appearances.

https://twitter.com/OfficialPWI/status/1301243032591888386?s=20
https://twitter.com/OfficialPWI/status/1301243034361827329?s=20
https://twitter.com/OfficialPWI/status/1301243036253540353?s=20
https://twitter.com/OfficialPWI/status/1301243038111395840?s=20
https://twitter.com/OfficialPWI/status/1301243039097196548?s=20

"as long as a rapist is pushed hard and booked strong they're in!" is a hell of a line of reasoning

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Davros1 posted:

You know, it seems pretty sincere in its feeling that they tried their best to make the right call in an tough situation and recognize that a lot of people are telling them they hosed up. I can appreciate that.

That said, it seems like the obvious solution would have been to not rank the Accused But Not Fired you thought deserved to be on the list and list them in a footnote that makes it clear WHY you're not including them despite thinking they were good enough.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Seriously, it's not difficult.

"You may notice some names are conspicuous in their absences - several names that otherwise may have been ranked have been deliberately omitted due to the nature of the allegations against them. At the PWI Offices, we choose to support the victims and prioritise their voices. If you have an objection to the decisions we have made regarding the matter, we strongly urge you to contact organisations such as RAINN or Rape Crisis England & Wales, and access the educational resources that such organisations offer. Perhaps this may provide some perspective for you as to why we have chosen to believe the victims. We believe that there is no place for sexual abuse or assault in the industry that we cover. This would also be an opportunity for us to apologise to the victims of any wrestlers we have profiled in our previous publications, prior to these allegations being brought to our collective attention. We are sorry that you had to suffer in silence for so long, we are sorry that this happened to you to begin with, and we are sorry that we may have contributed to the perpetuation of their actions through our coverage."

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 3, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sanguinia posted:

That said, it seems like the obvious solution would have been to not rank the Accused But Not Fired you thought deserved to be on the list and list them in a footnote that makes it clear WHY you're not including them despite thinking they were good enough.

Or just not do the 500 list this year and say exactly why. Sells less copies, though. Are there even 500 people in the industry without accusations right now?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Looks like Clones Clone might finally make the top 500.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Or just not do the 500 list this year and say exactly why. Sells less copies, though. Are there even 500 people in the industry without accusations right now?

Yes, but a lot of them are in Japan and Mexico, so they're out of the running

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think expecting PWI not to sell the only issue every year that people buy is a bit naive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well yes, that's what my middle sentence was alluding to. It, like everything, was done for monetary gain and they probably had the apology written up before it even went to print.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Not sure if this is an appropriate thread for this, but Abadon talking about some poo poo Al Snow said to her including one particularly disgusting remark.

https://twitter.com/abadon_AEW/status/1301968327586312192

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The fact that Al loving Snow gets to be a powerful/influential trainer is even more proof that this industry needs real regulation

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/abadon_AEW/status/1301971135282769920?s=20

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

useless gently caress

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pylons posted:

Not sure if this is an appropriate thread for this, but Abadon talking about some poo poo Al Snow said to her including one particularly disgusting remark.

https://twitter.com/abadon_AEW/status/1301968327586312192

I bet he would have never said that "too fat for flips" bullshit to Bam Bam Bigelow or Vader. Al Snow loving sucks.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Al Snow suuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Critical posted:

useless gently caress

Wait do they mean this Neville Southall? :psyduck:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

Wait do they mean this Neville Southall? :psyduck:

pretty sure it's someone from the board taking the piss. they used to use all sorts of ridiculous names for those questions

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Critical posted:

useless gently caress

Blessed image

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, gently caress Al Snow for that bullshit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Critical posted:

useless gently caress

Where's the lie?

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Usually in the comments for even heinous stuff like this, there are always a few people agreeing with the obvious shithead.

Not here. Every single comment I saw was dunking on Al Snow. Brings a tear to the eye.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Al Snow sure got a lot of mileage from making people think he was a decent trainer on the original Tough Enough.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Being a bitter gatekeeping loser has kept him employed for like 30 years now so I get why he thinks he's doing it right

But gently caress that heatless jagoff.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I guess mid-90s ECW was about the only place I can think of where Al Snow didn't suck a gently caress outside of Headcheese-related shenanigans. I guess it speaks more to Heyman's ability (at the time at least) to book to people's strengths. I remember reading that he built a bit of buzz from a decent match he had with the toothless murderer (not sure how one is expected to deal with that), and it's hard not to work out why the match was decent.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not knowing anything about anything at the time, but I enjoyed Al Snow being the Brutus Beefcake to Mick Foley's Hulk Hogan for a while in WWE.

But gently caress him for everything he has said/done since.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Vagabundo posted:

I guess mid-90s ECW was about the only place I can think of where Al Snow didn't suck a gently caress outside of Headcheese-related shenanigans. I guess it speaks more to Heyman's ability (at the time at least) to book to people's strengths. I remember reading that he built a bit of buzz from a decent match he had with the toothless murderer (not sure how one is expected to deal with that), and it's hard not to work out why the match was decent.
He's a second-rate Orange Cassidy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

I have vague memories that he was alright in Smokey Mountain but also I've seen so little SMW that I could be talking shite. And in ECW, before the Benoit match (mentioning his name isn't endorsing his murders, you're alright), he had a match with on-excursion Osamu Nishimura. And while I've never watched it back I really have a fondness for that early WWF Hardcore title era where it was him, the Hollys, Big Bossman. Was it good? I mean no, but it was entertaining which isn't nothing.

Al Snow is a guy who definitely isn't as good as Al Snow thinks he is, but he's also not complete dogshit. He had moments where he was in some fun things. Unfortunately he's a delusional rear end in a top hat and misogynist.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Well yes, that's what my middle sentence was alluding to. It, like everything, was done for monetary gain and they probably had the apology written up before it even went to print.

Probably.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

He's a second-rate Orange Cassidy

Leif Cassidy??

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

forkboy84 posted:

I have vague memories that he was alright in Smokey Mountain but also I've seen so little SMW that I could be talking shite. And in ECW, before the Benoit match (mentioning his name isn't endorsing his murders, you're alright), he had a match with on-excursion Osamu Nishimura. And while I've never watched it back I really have a fondness for that early WWF Hardcore title era where it was him, the Hollys, Big Bossman. Was it good? I mean no, but it was entertaining which isn't nothing.

Al Snow is a guy who definitely isn't as good as Al Snow thinks he is, but he's also not complete dogshit. He had moments where he was in some fun things. Unfortunately he's a delusional rear end in a top hat and misogynist.

Man I was apparently the only Al Snow fan on the planet back then. Hearing him be such a bitter misogynistic rear end in a top hat is so disheartening. Has anybody ever thanked Al Snow for his influence in their career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Foley probably thanked him for all the material in his books.