Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ChrisBTY posted:

Man I was apparently the only Al Snow fan on the planet back then. Hearing him be such a bitter misogynistic rear end in a top hat is so disheartening.

Same. I loved him because of his ECW run even though he never really did anything remarkable in WWE. He was just one of those guys I latched onto because he was doing something different at the time and it sure does suck that he's an actual pile of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i was also a big al snow fan because I love weirdo jobbers but sadly he is a dumb old man now.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I felt the same way with Val Venus. When I was a kid i thought the gimmick was funny and cool and I always rooted for him and now hes...him.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Apter mags were really high on Snow in 94-95 and treated him like the best unsigned talent out there. The first time I saw him wrestle was at a Superstars taping where he took on Chris Candido. Even though Al was working the Avatar gimmick I instantly recognized him from the PWI mags. They had a good little match and I was convinced that Al really was destined for great things. The next few years proved me wrong. The Leif Cassidy gimmick was kind of funny at first but I don’t remember many good matches from him. I think his match against Flash Funk was his best one. I never saw his ECW run but by the attitude era Snow was just a low card comedy guy at best.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I felt the same way with Val Venus. When I was a kid i thought the gimmick was funny and cool and I always rooted for him and now hes...him.

A man who appeared on infowar

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Both Snow and Venus were about the same level to me; Competant midcard journeymen. They werent going to stink up the place, but they werent going to carry anyone to a classic either. And now they are still both the same level to me: Trash fire human beings, who assume that "Basically okay for a long time" is the same as "Great with opinions worth listening to".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The thing about the Attitude Era is that most everyone was such an awful wrestler that being a competent one the way Snow and Val Venis were made them into Pretty Good wrestlers by comparison

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Al Snow could have been the best wrestler on Earth in his prime and that still wouldn't excuse the bullshit he told Abadon and Heidi Howitzer. I know we all know that here in this thread, but I felt like it needed to be said.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Venis, because Penis.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Al Snow used to get some praise back when he was Leif something as a talented but underrated guy. He wasnt bad bad but he burned every bridge and never arose above mediocrity but got an ego and claims far removed from what he actually did and his skill. Hes a more famous but less talented Austin Aries.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Paul Heyman made him tbh

he got drat lucky

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Lid posted:

Hes a more famous but less talented Austin Aries.

That's pretty harsh.

I liked ca. 2000 Snow but I've never understood the hype with Aries.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Heyman doling out hundreds of bucks to buy styrofoam heads for fans to hold up and make Al Snow look like he's over is pro god drat wrestling

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Claytor posted:

That's pretty harsh.

The closest comparison point for what Aries would be if he wasn't a sexist misogynist unlikable prick who burns every bridge would be is PAC. Aries and PAC both are undersized, but ridiculously fit looking, wrestlers who ostensibly use a high-flying style but are just supremely gifted at being pro wrestlers in the various facets. Hell both were WWE signed, both horribly misused, and both parted on a burned bridge with PAC sitting out his contract forever and Aries being Aries.

Honestly the sole difference between them is personality, and that is confusing because PAC's entire personality is he is A Bastard and we love him whereas Aries is a hot loving mess.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Claytor posted:

That's pretty harsh.

Aries loving ruled in ROH, almost right from the beginning of his run (technically he was on a couple of meaningless shows before Generation Next started). He wasn't the guy to end Samoa Joe's lengthy title reign by mistake. Fair enough if mid-2000s US indies wasn't a style that resonated with you, but Aries was excellent at it in a way that Snow never was at what he did.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Also PAC seems to be a quiet, kinda nerdy guy out of kayfabe and Aries is somehow even more abrasive and lovely

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, Pac has been known to chat with fans for an hour about socialized medicine and unions, then comment that he has to go back to being a jerk now

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, Pac has been known to chat with fans for an hour about socialized medicine and unions, then comment that he has to go back to being a jerk now

What a guy :allears:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DeathChicken posted:

PAC's Art of Wrestling interview was before he went to WWE, and he was very open about his confidence issues and questioning whether or not he was capable of being anything more than an indy darling. He's obviously more confident now, but that's something he's earned, whereas Aries is just an entitled rear end in a top hat who thinks everyone should indulge him because he's talented.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
She spoke out about emotional abuse while being trained by NXT UK's Sid Scala

https://twitter.com/MariahMayx/status/1303734999297019904

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/TheRobertMartyr/status/1304827241747144705

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/FutureMeltzer/status/1304585976119873537?s=20

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

That’s gotta be fake, right? Please be fake :pray:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Lars Sullivan? Is he still signed?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vagabundo posted:

Lars Sullivan? Is he still signed?
He's out injured but evidence suggests yes.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Insertnamehere31 posted:

That’s gotta be fake, right? Please be fake :pray:

It's an add taped to the toy box

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

It's an add taped to the toy box

im pretty sure he's hoping the intent is fake, because it would imply that they're directly going after recruiting children by taping these things to the backs of toys which is incredibly brazen and horrible

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

im pretty sure he's hoping the intent is fake, because it would imply that they're directly going after recruiting children by taping these things to the backs of toys which is incredibly brazen and horrible

Oh God I didn't even think of it that way.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/b3rt4/status/1305186801586499589?s=19

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Can someone paraphrase the above?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm confused, was she a minor that he kidnapped, or did he just not ask her parents for permission to marry her? Because if it's the latter and some people in Japan consider that akin to kidnapping, that kind of patriarchal "a daughter is property" bullshit can eat a dick. If she was a minor, toss his rear end in jail.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Also, who is Dylan?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

Also, who is Dylan?

Dylan James from AJPW, sorry

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The comments seem to suggest the victim was Yuhi, who was also in ZERO1 at the time and quit the business in 2014 at the age of 17

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ew. Yeah, that seems to have been poorly translated because I was having a hard time making sense of it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm confused, was she a minor that he kidnapped, or did he just not ask her parents for permission to marry her? Because if it's the latter and some people in Japan consider that akin to kidnapping, that kind of patriarchal "a daughter is property" bullshit can eat a dick. If she was a minor, toss his rear end in jail.

The age of majority in Japan is 20 but you can get married with parents' permission under that age, so he took her to New Zealand to get married where the age of majority is lower to marry her without her parents objecting to her getting married fresh out of high school I presume

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The age of majority in Japan is 20 but you can get married with parents' permission under that age, so he took her to New Zealand to get married where the age of majority is lower to marry her without her parents objecting to her getting married fresh out of high school I presume

Age of consent is 16, voting age is 18, alcohol buying age is 18, age of majority is 20.

But marrying age is 18, 16 with the family court's permission. "I brought her from overseas against her family's wishes" probably won't get you that.

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Deleted, already posted and discussed

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/IsTeddyInJail/status/1305979250936295425?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Posted 10 hours ago:

https://twitter.com/IsTeddyInJail/status/1305838363593801729?s=20

He manged to stay out since April though, that may be a new record.