Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

triplexpac posted:

I just saw the thing about Cornette’s wife as well.... I feel like that’s the sort of thing that would have come out or been hinted at before, has it been?

It's been an "open secret" for many years but nothing has ever come of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The hornyposting has gotten really gross and out of control in the past few months, and clearly isn't as ironic as people want to claim it is. We've had multiple people admit that it's made them uncomfortable and not want to post in certain threads anymore.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

cams posted:

my barometer for what is okay to post on an internet forum is way off because that is a cool and good post to me. i've almost certainly made similar statements about kota ibushi. i'm definitely the weirdo in the situation though, so i'll defer to those who don't care for that sort of thing because my voice is not the one being told to keep quiet.

There is zero universe where calling someone "cum gutters" is cool or normal.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
A lot of people have conflated "wrestling is a cosmetic business and for better or worse, visuals and aesthetics are important" with "I should be allowed to post about wanting to live in wrestlers' asses and you're the weird one if you have a problem with it"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

And nothing of value was lost

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In lighter news, at least King is still cool :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/Sienna/status/1274061174678663169

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Thank you Matt Riddle's Cheap-rear end Lawyer I needed a good laugh today

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We all knew that WWE would circle the wagons so that doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm more interested in how AEW responds to the stuff about Havoc and Roberts.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

StarkRavingMad posted:

Maybe we should have a hornyposting containment thread where people can talk about sexy to their heart's content and if they do it in other threads people can be like "take it to the horny thread"

like Cornette's thread, but with more butts

This place already exists, it's called Reddit

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gaz-L posted:

I'm kinda hovering around this line myself. The New Japan Cup had me feeling more excited and happy than I have in weeks, and then this poo poo happens and now the forum is kinda imploding to the point where saying 'x got new gear, they look cute' is gonna be a bannable offence...

Nobody is pushing for this and if that was your takeaway from the whole conversation you weren't paying attention

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jesus Christ leave Kylie alone

She works for Impact, she's suffered enough already

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Are there any indie promotions from the early-mid 2000s that weren't gross/sleazy/run by horrible people?

Was ... was John Zandig the least problematic promoter of the era?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm more surprised they didn't fire him sooner when he showed up with that lovely pirate tattoo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Reality Protester posted:

Gallagher might have been the first to answer his phone

Firing Gallagher while everyone else lawyered up makes me think that they're just using him as a sacrificial lamb

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Uproxx hasn't posted a thing all day so I wonder if Stroud finally got the boot (at the very least he has no loving business being in charge of a website that employs multiple women writers)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Waffleopolis posted:

I saw Xavier Woods on one of the lost and have been trying to find out what it was. Only thing comes to mind was the sex tape between him and Paige but I thought that was a consensual thing and it got leaked out somehow. Anyone else know what it's talking about?

It may have been a fake list, the account that was leaking this stuff (which included other names like Chris Hero that haven't been corroborated anywhere) got deleted

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

abraham linksys posted:

elgin got dropped pretty quick after poo poo started coming out about him, didn't it? though that seemed more related to whatever happened w the viking guys

Nah, his contract just expired. They were still booking him for like a year after that stuff came out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Something tells me that Tony Khan is now perfectly happy letting ROH keep the All In rights

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll take any excuse I can to post this

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Has anyone mentioned yet how gross and insulting it is that most of these dudes talk about going to therapy in their rambling non-apologies?

Like ok, it's better than nothing, but ... there's a whole lot of people struggling with mental issues and going to therapy who aren't abusive sex creeps who only do it when their careers are in jeopardy. It reminds me of when #MeToo first started and the most prominent offenders suddenly took rehab super-seriously after they lost their movie/TV roles.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Rarity posted:

Uproxx still haven't posted a single thing about this movement :lol:

Based on my experience with online media scandals, they probably made everybody go radio-silent until they're ready to announce a change in leadership

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah most of these outlets have at least one person "on call" to cover breaking news when the full-timers aren't available. Given that their literal boss is at the center of this, staying quiet is probably not a decision they made themselves.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Imagine being so creepy that even Fox News doesn't want you around

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
For whatever it's worth, BTE has been quietly deleting videos featuring Ryan

Still waiting for the Bucks et al. to explain what they knew, when they knew it, and why they were pushing to get him in AEW, but it's a start

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If nothing else this week has taught us that "make your wrestling gimmick yourself turned up to 11" is some terrible, terrible advice

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sounds like Uproxx is either shutting down the wrestling site or re-organizing it

https://twitter.com/emilyofpratt/status/1275214926135431168
https://twitter.com/AnotherElle/status/1275233964454805511

Benne fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 23, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1275255511710040067

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

IceAgeComing posted:

The Joey Ryan thing does reveal the inherent consent issues in spots like the stuff he used to do and personally I'm fine if they go in the bin forever. Like in a dream world you'd have a situation where before anyone was booked against someone like that they'd give their consent and if they didn't the match wouldn't happen or they'd not do that stuff but when you have power imbalances like you had there (Ryan being a somewhat major indy star) then its much harder for someone to have said no since that might have harmed their future bookings or even cost them a spot on that show if the only reason they were contacted was to wrestle Joey Ryan. There are probably ways you could do it correctly but like its such a tricky balance that I don't know I think anything should try.

It's very similar to how film and TV actresses get pressured into doing nude/sex scenes. Often it's couched as a woman being "fearless" or "taking a chance" to become a bigger star (at least that's what gets fed to the media), but most of the time it's really under fear of being blackballed or labeled "difficult to work with." We saw this play out way, way too many times in the 90s and 00s, when talented actresses considered rising stars "mysteriously" stopped getting work when they refused Weinstein's advances.

That power dynamic was very much in play with Joey Ryan matches. He positioned himself as an advocate for intergender wrestling and basically claimed that women wrestling him was almost a rite of passage in the business -- more than a few times he went on Twitter and congratulated himself for putting someone over and claiming he made them a bigger star. Getting in the ring with him and being expected to take a dick flip or boobplex was really more of a threat than a "consensual" suggestion. Less "do you agree to do this" and more "I'm the star, I gotta get my poo poo in, do you want this main event match or not"

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 23, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I mean, people spent an entire half-day viciously grilling AEW when they didn't immediately make a statement about the Sammy Guevara stuff, even though the story first came out overnight and it was clearly going to take at least several hours between Sammy talking to Sasha, Sammy talking to his bosses, his bosses consulting with HR/legal, AEW making a final decision, and AEW going public with that decision.

As much as we want immediate closure on Twitter, due diligence takes time, for better or worse.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
More on Stroud

https://twitter.com/sundownmotel/status/1275898009050480640/photo/1

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jonny Nox posted:

good cops (I know) will feel willing to expose worse cops

There are literally no good cops hth

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
lol what a chickenshit statement

I'm pretty convinced that Stroud has something on upper management, a lot of these allegations have been out there for years and they consistently went out of their way to protect him. Now they give him the weakest of "punishments" (what are the odds he's on paid leave?) while leaving the rest of the writers twisting in the wind. I would not be at all shocked if they try to quietly bring him back in a few months.

gently caress Uproxx.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm not watching that, is he still as dull and un-charismatic as he was in his worked wrestling promos?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Better late than never I guess. Hopefully the other writers can land back on their feet.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's not like the With Spandex name has any deep history or something -- it was literally just a play on words based on the old blog Stroud started writing for, (which itself was named after an obscure Chris Berman meme), which got spun off into its own vertical when Uproxx bought With Leather.

There's really no reason why they couldn't have rebranded and kept the other writers on, especially if they're still planning to cover wrestling.

E: SNV said it way better than me

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 3, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I've literally never heard of that site before today :shrug:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Florida was a mistake

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If "cancel culture" is real then why is Chasyn loving Rance still a thing

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean, this pretty much is it. You can't ban him from owning a school. There is nothing criminal going on here, people are allowed to associate with someone who committed a crime and went through the justice system. So cancelling pretty much means this, if someone is seen with him or associated with him it's going to hurt their reputation and income. That then hurts him and hurts his business. His name becomes mud.

If wrestling training had any semblance of regulations, background checks, or meaningful licensing, then Chasyn Rance's school wouldn't even exist. The fact that this loving guy somehow has a power stranglehold on the Florida scene is proof enough that wrestling cannot police itself and needs outside intervention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Chris James 2 posted:

I actually think there's no amount of money in the world I could be paid to sit through this for that long