Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think sometimes people conflate sex positivity with letting the world know what you slap at it to and it might not be malicious but it’s way too much

Yeah. I think this is right. I think we should go back to the days of "horny is prohibited." A tiny bit of hornyposting would probably be fine but it never stays as a tiny amount. Goons are hornyposting addicts and the only way to treat addiction is complete abstinence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

1) saying "cum gutters" absolutely is different from saying "I find this wrestler attractive"

2) saying "I find this wrestler attractive" is completely unnecessary and adds very little to the discussion in the first place. So let's just not.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Well let's crowd fund a legal team for the accusers I guess. Doing the "I'm a big boy wrestler who can hire a shipping label attorney" move to intimidate his victims can't be made to work.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

he still has a lovely broken printer. Why not just screen grab the word document?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Has Ospreay said anything recently about the allegations against him? I'm finding it hard to follow all these.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

1. We are watching a sport where flamboyant young people in their underwear pretend to fight each other, and in that context I don’t think there’s anything wrong with acknowledging their sexual attractiveness sometimes.

Why is it necessary though? What does it add to the discussion to talk about how hot someone is or isn't?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Huntman posted:

Buddy of mine snagged the image and boy, you're not wrong

I think this is literally the only time I've ever said this, but

hmbol

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

As a wrestler changes their look, especially as it relates to their character, that's certainly a topic for discussion. Baylee's haircut and Jay White's beard elevate their characters. And anybody getting in better (or worse) shape will impact their performance as a wrestler and I think yeah "wow he/she got in great shape" is fine. But while a haircut or a beard or a fit body might be discussion topics, The horniness you might feel over those things probably isn't a good one.

I dunno. I don't think I horny post but I've definitely horny chatted irl while watching events with friends. But it's gross and objectifying. And I think once you're ok with gross and objectifying, maybe it's not too far from some of the creepy behavior this thread is supposed to be about.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What I find really interesting is how easily these dopes are undone by their need to be liked. If Ospreay literally just did not address this at all, he'd have made it through more or less unscathed IMO. There's only so much attention to give, and I think the massive Matt Riddle allegations would have sucked up all the oxygen.

Really, this whole things blew up because David Starr had the same stupid instinct. If he'd ignored the public allegations against him twitter very likely would have moved on. But he wall o texted himself into the end of his career. I can only imagine it's because he couldn't stand the idea that he might not be adored by some people?

This is a good thing, by the way. I'm glad this has all come out and I'm glad the trash is helping to take itself out. I just have to admit I find it kind of fascinating.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I stopped for a long time after the Benoit CTE stuff became more widely known. Like I couldn't support an industry that was physically destroying people's brains.

Not sure why I started watching again. Wrestling doesn't HAVE to be a CTE machine, and it doesn't have to be a sex assault meat grinder either.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Are there any feds, big or small, that we know to be run by actual good people who are doing their best to prevent toxic backstage culture? I don't want to give up on wrestling but I don't want to support the toxic sludge that represents most of this business right now.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

you'll never know 100% who's decent and who isn't bc the scum are v good at hiding themselves from ppl who aren't their prey

Granted. But it's either look for the companies (in any industry) that appear good, or literally never interact with anyone else again. And believe me, if I had the skills to do that latter thing I'd give it a real try.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sammy's words were reprehensible, but if he never did anything beyond saying really lovely words that's redeemable if he actually goes through the trouble of changing and seeking redemption.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Well, poo poo.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I somehow missed it, Darby is bad too?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I know I've said terrible edge lord stuff when I was like, 17. I dunno about 22 but that's still essentially a child to me.

The assault on the waitress on the other hand, really no way around that. So he's got to go.

The Marty stuff is awful. Jesus. Just really loving awful.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

MorrisBae posted:

Almost wonder if "being vile with women because I don't really like them but I have to keep up appearances" is a thing

It's been my experience that guys are extra gross towards women while in the presence of other men. It becomes a weird show for the other guys. I'm not sure how much is necessarily tied in with latent homosexuality and how much is just very basic insecurity.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Darby accusation is extremely vague and I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest.

The Teddy stuff holy poo poo.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have several friends who say Matt Riddle was exonerated. From what I remember when I was following this, that was some bullshit. But I haven't been paying attention for a few months. Riddle is still a bad guy, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

OK, thanks everyone. That's pretty much what I remembered but wasn't sure if there was anything new.