Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nine-gear crow posted:

Something I noticed watching that gif is you can see the transport fire up its engines to make the jump to lightspeed, but it smashes into the Devastator just before it can accelerate, probably because its NaviComputer's safeties engaged when it detected the ship in front of it. If the Star Destroyer came out of hyperspace like even half a second later than it did, it would have been Holdo'd into oblivion and probably taken out the Death Star then and there with its shrapnel.

I feel like there's gotta be more than just "prevent the navicomputer from aborting the jump" to pulling off a Holdo though, because otherwise it's unthinkable that the Alliance wouldn't have been taking transports and disabling whatever safeties it took to turn them into hypermissiles. Even as big as the Death Star is, even if one or multiple transports hypering into it didn't outright explode it, it would still wreak enough havoc to gently caress it up big time.

On thread topic, I will say that, as much as I feel like that stunt poses certain problems for the setting, the scene itself of Holdo's cruiser shredding the First Order fleet was magnificently done and really awe-inspiring in the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It was said, I think in the guide to Last Jedi, that the Raddus had experimental shields that made it possible for such destruction. It's not something you can just do. Then it shows up in Rise of Skywalker because it was a finished effect and they just had to cut and past it.

Also the transport that smashed into the ISD there, those are basically just tin cans that haul cargo, they're not designed to survive anything stronger than taking off and landing, so i don't think they would do much damage.

That reminds me when I watched Return of the Jedi on DVD for the first time I saw that you can actually see the A-wing crash through the bridge in the flames of the Executor.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, how do you guys pronounce"Executor?". I always said it like the guy who chops your head off is is the guy who EXECUTES you, but then there's a popular Star_Wars_Talker_Abouter on youtube that pronounces it like "executive," except -tor.

So I'm right, right?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

sajobi posted:

This is not a little moment. But the entire book Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon is a mind blowing experience.

This is true. Last and First Men is pretty mind-blowing too, along with the fact that both were written in the 1930s.

GORDON posted:

Hey, how do you guys pronounce"Executor?". I always said it like the guy who chops your head off is is the guy who EXECUTES you, but then there's a popular Star_Wars_Talker_Abouter on youtube that pronounces it like "executive," except -tor.

So I'm right, right?

It's like executive. If it was named after the person who executes, it'd be called the Executioner.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, Executor is a real profession that someone can have, though it's a lot more, uh, dry than sharing a name with Vader's flagship would imply.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's also the title of the Protoss general in Starcraft

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, Executor is a real profession that someone can have, though it's a lot more, uh, dry than sharing a name with Vader's flagship would imply.

IDK, figuring out who gets what from a will can get pretty spicy depending on the character of the beneficiaries.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I always pronounce it like the pokemon and so far that's served me well.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

One way to make Insurrection a much better movie is to watch it with the commentary track on. The commentary is done by Johnathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis. Frakes directed the film and was involved in nearly every aspect of the production. Sirtis is in about 10 minutes of the final cut and saw it once at the premiere.

So many times Frakes will rattle off something about how nice some actor that played a random ensign was and remember their full name, and Sirtis is just lost and doesn't know what is happening.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

For actual content I really enjoyed a scene in one of the Culture novels where the ship is showing a person what they think is a real-time view of a fight it is having with another ship but then the ship says something like "and this part coming up is the best"

It explains that the actual fight was over in a fraction of a second and he was just slowing everything down for the human's meat brain.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Gangringo posted:

For actual content I really enjoyed a scene in one of the Culture novels where the ship is showing a person what they think is a real-time view of a fight it is having with another ship but then the ship says something like "and this part coming up is the best"

It explains that the actual fight was over in a fraction of a second and he was just slowing everything down for the human's meat brain.

That's Surface Detail. The central schism in that book is good, war over the existence of virtual hells to simulate dead assholes from your species. The cool little detail is that virtual hells still require physical hardware to run, so of course an enterprising guy winds up cornering the hell market and owns 70% of all hells.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Robot Style posted:

an executor carries out a will, much like Vader carries out Palpatine's will.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thatbastardken posted:

an executor carries out a will, much like Vader carries out Palpatine's will.

Whoa

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bug Squash posted:

That's Surface Detail. The central schism in that book is good, war over the existence of virtual hells to simulate dead assholes from your species. The cool little detail is that virtual hells still require physical hardware to run, so of course an enterprising guy winds up cornering the hell market and owns 70% of all hells.

Veppers is an absolutely accurate portrayal of real tech billionaires, who only WISH they owned the rights to Virtual Hell (they have to make do with Twitter).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I feel like there's gotta be more than just "prevent the navicomputer from aborting the jump" to pulling off a Holdo though, because otherwise it's unthinkable that the Alliance wouldn't have been taking transports and disabling whatever safeties it took to turn them into hypermissiles. Even as big as the Death Star is, even if one or multiple transports hypering into it didn't outright explode it, it would still wreak enough havoc to gently caress it up big time.

On thread topic, I will say that, as much as I feel like that stunt poses certain problems for the setting, the scene itself of Holdo's cruiser shredding the First Order fleet was magnificently done and really awe-inspiring in the theater.

Travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, kid.
If it requires precise calculations to avoid stars and supernovas, it would require even more precise calculations to avoid all that but thread the needle through this particular 300 cubic meter volume of space-time containing a spaceship.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bug Squash posted:

Isn't this Roko's Basilisk

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No, I think it's The Sims

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No, Roko's basilisk is the jerkoff techbro notion that if you don't bring about the singularity then the god-AI will simulate a perfect you and torture you because ???

The Hells in Surface Detail are explicitly maintained because numerous cultures around the galaxy believe their populations will immediately resort to cannibal sex-murder if they're not threatened with punishment once they die and/or they're just brain-scanned and dumped into a Hell because you pissed off the wrong person.

One is Reddit transhuman atheism, while the latter is just your standard broken interpretation of Christianity. You can tell the difference because the whole of Christian history has slightly fewer pedophiles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gangringo posted:

I really should read the Culture novels someday. I've realized that people at Games Workshop have decided that the Dark Age of Technology era of humanity that humans reach their apex of technology and power is basically the Culture setting. There is a short story that features some Tech Priests and Space Marines boarding a fully functional AI controlled ship that has reappeared. The AI just mocks them endlessly for their primitive technology and religious fanaticism and runs off.

The level of AI that was described to me in the Culture novels sounds exactly like that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
a cool thing about The Culture is that there's ships that without notice will go dormant for centuries and hide in random spots in the galaxy so that in the event of some galactic threat that wipes out all sentience or w/e they can restart The Culture from scratch after the threat has passed

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'd love to read the Culture books but I am an idiot who insists on owning a fancy hardcover printing of every book I buy; were they ever reprinted in hard cover?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Your phone has a hard cover.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Finger Prince posted:

Travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, kid.
If it requires precise calculations to avoid stars and supernovas, it would require even more precise calculations to avoid all that but thread the needle through this particular 300 cubic meter volume of space-time containing a spaceship.

I don't mean like aiming a hypermissile across the whole galaxy. The Alliance probably could have gotten a few transports within spitting distance of the Death Star near Yavin before lighting off the hyperdrives.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't mean like aiming a hypermissile across the whole galaxy. The Alliance probably could have gotten a few transports within spitting distance of the Death Star near Yavin before lighting off the hyperdrives.

There's at least EU support for the idea that shields being up can stop a hyperspace ram – there's a comic where the Executor takes three Imperial Star Destroyers decelerating out of hyperspace into it with so little space the guys on the ISDs have no idea they're gonna die, but the Executor's shields are able to prevent all damage to it.

As to why the Supremacy had its shields down in Last Jedi, well, what was shooting at it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

indigi posted:

a cool thing about The Culture is that there's ships that without notice will go dormant for centuries and hide in random spots in the galaxy so that in the event of some galactic threat that wipes out all sentience or w/e they can restart The Culture from scratch after the threat has passed

Sure, that's their excuse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

wdarkk posted:

There's at least EU support for the idea that shields being up can stop a hyperspace ram – there's a comic where the Executor takes three Imperial Star Destroyers decelerating out of hyperspace into it with so little space the guys on the ISDs have no idea they're gonna die, but the Executor's shields are able to prevent all damage to it.

As to why the Supremacy had its shields down in Last Jedi, well, what was shooting at it?

The problem is a) anything about shields being down isn't in the film and more damningly b) the end of Rise of the Skywalker shows another ship in space blown up by this because my god you will learn to love suicide bombing star wars fans

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, the one in Rise really hosed up any chance of a simple answer beyond "we've already spent the money on the effects, just cram it in somewhere."

If they'd added a line in Last Jedi like "Divert all power from shields to main batteries, I want those ships brought down the instant they come into range and they're in no position to be any threat to us," all would be well.

If there's one thing Imperial/First Order officers have shown us, is that they're arrogant idiots who are responsible for their own deaths 99% of the time.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 27, 2021

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Barudak posted:

b) the end of Rise of the Skywalker shows another ship in space blown up by this because my god you will learn to love suicide bombing star wars fans

I will admit to never having seen that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

:boom:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That reminds me, all those ISD ships with the BDE Cannon underneath from RoS? yea they're all supposed to be like 10km long. And the effects team literally just dug up the models used in Rogue One, made them black put the gun on the bottom and increased their size. That's it. That blew my mind in how lazy the whole movie was. Though costume department outdid themselves with the Sith Uniforms, probably my favorite uniforms in Star Wars, the dark grey with red accents, really striking and perfectly space fashy. Too bad we see them for like 30 seconds in the entire movie.

I can find enought redeeming stuff about every star wars movie to put them at least a C, but RoS is a D-, squeaking by due to one very cool fight and Rey's exquisitely sculpted arms.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sure, that's their excuse.

Bunch of weirdos.

content; My family owned a hardcover of the first three Dune books bound as one edition, and it's one of the first "serious" books I remember reading. Dune is pretty loving mind blowing to read as a kid, but then I got the fourth book out of the library, and it starts 3500 years after the third one.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That bit in Devs where the old-ish guy sets the machine to run two seconds into the future.

Any one of the people in that room could've broke the machine by simply not doing what they had just watched themselves be about to do, but none of them did.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cactus posted:

That bit in Devs where the old-ish guy sets the machine to run two seconds into the future.

Any one of the people in that room could've broke the machine by simply not doing what they had just watched themselves be about to do, but none of them did.

they couldn't, actually

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

indigi posted:

they couldn't, actually

Wasn't that one of the whole points of it? It's been a while but (finale spoilers) doesn't the fact that there was a huge blind spot in the future of the Machines predictions that turned out to be caused by a character saying "gently caress what the machine says I'm supposed to do, I'm going to do something different instead! Universe, you're not the boss of me!" imply that anyone else could have done that at any time and caused the blind spot that broke the machine to occur, but they all chose not to because they wanted to believe the machine was omniscient, and that the Universe was deterministic?

Or maybe I just completely misinterpreted the whole thing lmao.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

idk what book it's in since I only know about it from a review, but there's a planet with sentient plants on it that humans arrive to try to colonize that has like 1.25g. they've all been prepared for that, but after a couple days all the characters are complaining that their balls and breasts hurt because the sensitive bits of our bodies aren't built to have sudden, persistent, additional weight placed on them and there's no way to train for it. that's something I hadn't ever considered and it sounds like it would suck poo poo
But both balls and breasts vary far more than that in weight? It'd exacerbate issues like big breasts causing back strain, but how does as little as +25% strain cause universal problems? I suppose maybe every character either had big breasts, or they were like "Yeah, my balls are so huge, so this is a real issue to me".

That said, the think I'm imagining now is people getting jacked eyelids, since they need stronger muscles to keep them open.

grassy gnoll posted:

No, Roko's basilisk is the jerkoff techbro notion that if you don't bring about the singularity then the god-AI will simulate a perfect you and torture you because ???

The Hells in Surface Detail are explicitly maintained because numerous cultures around the galaxy believe their populations will immediately resort to cannibal sex-murder if they're not threatened with punishment once they die and/or they're just brain-scanned and dumped into a Hell because you pissed off the wrong person.

One is Reddit transhuman atheism, while the latter is just your standard broken interpretation of Christianity. You can tell the difference because the whole of Christian history has slightly fewer pedophiles.
Roko's basilisk is very clearly a theistic belief, you even call it a god-AI in your own post. Depending on the version of Christianity, it's either just a repackaging of Christianity in a "rationalist" package, or a sort of anti-Christianity where God comes into being to punish humanity as opposed to dying to save us - the more extreme interpretation of that being the notion that Christianity is an atheistic religion, because God is dead.

Sure, it comes out of a certain subset of atheist thought, but that thought is by all appearances just a vociferous rejection of an upbringing the person never manages to let go, so it's not exactly weird that a bunch of them would eventually find a new god to worship/fear.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But both balls and breasts vary far more than that in weight? It'd exacerbate issues like big breasts causing back strain, but how does as little as +25% strain cause universal problems? I suppose maybe every character either had big breasts, or they were like "Yeah, my balls are so huge, so this is a real issue to me".

That said, the think I'm imagining now is people getting jacked eyelids, since they need stronger muscles to keep them open.

Roko's basilisk is very clearly a theistic belief, you even call it a god-AI in your own post. Depending on the version of Christianity, it's either just a repackaging of Christianity in a "rationalist" package, or a sort of anti-Christianity where God comes into being to punish humanity as opposed to dying to save us - the more extreme interpretation of that being the notion that Christianity is an atheistic religion, because God is dead.

Sure, it comes out of a certain subset of atheist thought, but that thought is by all appearances just a vociferous rejection of an upbringing the person never manages to let go, so it's not exactly weird that a bunch of them would eventually find a new god to worship/fear.

Balls and boobs are only meant to be “load bearing” in one sense. they don’t suddenly increase in weight by 25% in your 40s

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Get a load of this guy who doesn't know about your 40th birthday.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is the only place on the internet I can stand to talk about games still so thank you for your service

I dunno what it is but like, Reddit, gaf/era whatever within 10 minutes I'm just like this is dumb. You're all dumb

Balls'n'Breasts!

Checks out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm sure there's people with balls that are 25% bigger or smaller than mine. But if mine got 25% heavier overnight I would probably notice.