Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

In the unlikely event you haven't done so already, you really owe it to yourself to read the comic version.
:yeah:

This is what i always say whenever it comes up but: the movie is a pretty decent (proto)Ghibli movie, but Miyazaki's manga version is a complete masterpiece. Basically right up there with Dune, or Neuromancer for me. The story in both starts in the same place, but they quickly diverge and it is so so good

Here's a little thing from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

She has white leggings on. There's still too many low angle shots and fluttering skirt/coat stuff going on tho.

e: another reason the manga is better

e:e: it also isn't very clear that that is the case in the anime. I bet you can find the same question on some old usenet pages

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 3, 2021

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wow, I completely and absolutely forgot about Girl Genius. I had (and maybe still have) the original physical comics. I lost track of it, then heard it went to a webcomic version or something?

Huh, wonder if it's worth trying to get back in to

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Because there's a whole book full of context for it that is maybe a lot to try to put into a post about small things in scifi stories that blew your mind

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

The "Borg Queen" was an impressively stupid idea that completely ruined the malice of the borg by giving them a leader rather than making making assimilation an act of perceived 'benevolence' on their collective behalf.

Edit:
The Borg, as they were introduced, were amazing and really blew my mind as a kid. A group of people who gathered together and networked themselves into a single entity, who then spread out to 'share' their unity with others? A species/entity intent on self-improvement but unafraid to incorporate others into their/its perceived 'self,' in the same manor as the Federation except with technology replacing diplomacy and 'the needs of the many / the needs of the one' being folded into a single question.

I'm tired, I'm not explaining myself very well. I just couldn't help but wonder how much more effective the Borg would've been if they'd used the Federation's tactics: inviting others to join with them rather than forcing the issue, and at the same time it also made me picture them as interstellar drug dealers.

"Would you like to try Collective? The first hit is free."

I want to say, they mention that idea in one of the Culture novels. Something like a distinction between Aggressive Hegemonizing Swarms and Evangelizing Hegemonizing swarms