Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

This moment right here.

It's a magic combination of the music, the shot composition, the building tension, and the moment of release of three whole movies-worth of struggle and hardship for the TOS crew that begins when Khan fires those first phaser blasts at the original Enterprise and ends right here when the camera pans over the bow of the Excelsior and reveals the Enterprise-A.

It's just one of those perfect movie moments that I wish I could live in forever.

When you really pull back and look at the chronology of the mega-franchise, this was very arguably the moment when the era of "Peak Trek" began. The next major release was "Encounter at Farpoint" which set off a run of spin-offs and theatrical releases which spanned around 13 years. It's weird to think of now, and it's not like Star Wars didn't exist during that time, but there were no major Star Wars releases so for the late 80s and nearly all of the 90s Star Trek was the big sci-fi franchise in town. I honestly took it for granted as a kid, and now having had literally 2/3rds of my life bombarded by Lucasfilms' creations I wish I had appreciated that era more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Insurrection was probably better than is given credit for.
Not the thread for it, but Insurrection is really terrible and I'll go to the ground on that. It was well-received at first and it's very inoffensive when you first watch it, but its awfulness is insidious. The more you let it sit, the more the little things add up and the worst it gets. It's a lot like "Man of Steel" in that regard. I'd honestly cite it as the real turning point for when Peak Trek ended and never recovered.

-------------

The little moment that always got me was Geddy Tartakovsky's Iron Man 2 flight sequence, watching the HUD chart his flight path. They really went out of their way to show the Iron Man suits as almost vaguely plausible as military devices in the visual details, and while later Marvel movies were fun I did miss the times when the Iron Man suits were these tank/flight suit hybrids with weight and heft.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I haven't seen Insurrection in years so i am probably forgetting a lot of details, so you're most likely right. I watched Jesse Gender's ranking of Trek Movies video today and she ranks that near the bottom, one of the things that she points out that makes it terrible is that Picard only goes Rogue once he realizes he might get some age appropriate lovin' from the Baku lady.
The example SFDebris points out-- and his review is great incidentally you should watch it-- is that during the production the writers got a note from the studio questioning the fundamental questions of the movie: why are we meant to be sympathizing with the Ba'ku when they're not even natives of the planet, hoarding the magic healing bullshit? These are the studio people. The money people. The "don't care if it's art or even good, as long as it gets us paid in the end" people. They saw the holes right away.

What will always steam me is that there's a really great version of the same story where you make the Ba'ku less sympathetic and lovely production-wise, and basically make TNG: Civil War with the crew split and fighting each other.

But alas.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The goddamn Star Wars prequels managed to land 'the people who appear to be doing good are ultimately doing bad things' and that seems to be too much for a lot of people. You know what, a lot of people including myself drag Lucas for a lot of things with the prequels, some of which I quite back up, but can't say he wasn't daring.
In hindsight even his begrudging pandering with baby Boba Fett in 2 and Chewbacca in 3 was nothing compared to what we'd get in 7 and 9. Don't get me wrong those movies still suck hot rear end, but it's a lot easier to pat them on the head for trying in 2021.

nine-gear crow posted:

I sometimes wish Michael Pillar's original idea for Insurrection, outlined in Fade In made it to production instead of him getting talked out of it by basically everyone around him. It sounds like it would have been a lot more interesting than the finished product we got was. It was basically Heart of Darkness in space, and the Col. Kurtz stand in who was in control of the magic healing bullshit planet was an exploitative unsympathetic rear end in a top hat and Picard has to go rogue to stop him.
Really anything would have been better than the movie we got.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wouldn't even say a Souls-like, it's more of an NES game given how little he ultimately changes his loadout and strategy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cactus posted:

I didn't see it as being deliberately horny either, just kinda funny, kinda eye-rolly, and unnecessary in the context of what type of film it is.

In that bit near the end she is wearing pants, definitely. Right at the beginning, though, I'm not so sure, and I'll tag it NWS just to be on the safe side.

...i mean come on
I don't know dude. I'm all for calling out extraneous cheesecake-- especially of underage characters and/or supposedly family friendly properties that feature it-- but this seems like a reach. I've watched that movie half a dozen times and never noticed that.

Cactus posted:

aaanyway for content:
I always like when sci-fi authors try to get across a totally alien way of thinking, perceiving the world, or existing. Iain M Banks has, rightfully, already been brought up in this thread, and one particular passage I remember reading and it making me go "whoah" was in I think Excession. It was a few pages long and he was describing the concept the AI Minds had to be mindful of called "the Off Switch". What does a sentient artificial intelligence with vast amounts of processing power do for lesiure? Why, they construct mind-bogglingly complex multi-dimensional VR-scapes in their own minds and lose themselves in there for varying amounts of time. The problem is, when you can create a whole multiverse-sized virtual world that is more real, more compelling to exist in than the real thing could ever be, why would you ever leave? So you have to also create an Off Switch, and you have to place it in a prominent place in your virtual world where it's always easy to use, or you'll stay forever and never wake up. Just the way he wrote that entire bit was awesome.
I always liked Surface Detail for recognizing that if VR worlds were a thing, there would absolutely be loads of insane idiots making virtual Hellscapes to punish their enemies. It's one of those "So obvious you never think of it until you see it done" conceits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

One of the threads in PYF talked about how Endless has both ghost robots and robot ghosts, and even having briefly played Legend I have absolutely no idea what that means.

I played through Dungeon of the Endless so much I almost 100% it, and I still couldn't tell you dick about the lore other than that it's cool as gently caress.

It's like everything evocative about WH40k but with the edgelord blissfully smoothed over.