Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It suddenly occurred to me the other day that that Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow is essentially a roguelike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I feel like there's gotta be more than just "prevent the navicomputer from aborting the jump" to pulling off a Holdo though, because otherwise it's unthinkable that the Alliance wouldn't have been taking transports and disabling whatever safeties it took to turn them into hypermissiles. Even as big as the Death Star is, even if one or multiple transports hypering into it didn't outright explode it, it would still wreak enough havoc to gently caress it up big time.

On thread topic, I will say that, as much as I feel like that stunt poses certain problems for the setting, the scene itself of Holdo's cruiser shredding the First Order fleet was magnificently done and really awe-inspiring in the theater.

Travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, kid.
If it requires precise calculations to avoid stars and supernovas, it would require even more precise calculations to avoid all that but thread the needle through this particular 300 cubic meter volume of space-time containing a spaceship.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

indigi posted:

idk what book it's in since I only know about it from a review, but there's a planet with sentient plants on it that humans arrive to try to colonize that has like 1.25g. they've all been prepared for that, but after a couple days all the characters are complaining that their balls and breasts hurt because the sensitive bits of our bodies aren't built to have sudden, persistent, additional weight placed on them and there's no way to train for it. that's something I hadn't ever considered and it sounds like it would suck poo poo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or maybe just put on some underwear.

Seriously, these people flew across a galaxy to colonize another world, and the concept of supportive undergarments somehow escapes them?

I like the bit in the expanse where they're on the first alien planet, where all the local flora and fauna is deadly poisonous because humans didn't evolve along side it. And everyone goes blind because of an innocuous algae like organism that the human immune system doesn't even react to because it has no way of identifying it as a pathogen. Also how shipping dirt from earth is big business and can be the difference between a colony surviving or starving.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was thinking about The Peripheral by William Gibson, and probably my favourite thing is how nobody really understands how the time travel thing works. You can send data to the past via some kind of server, but not to your past.
There's some speculation that maybe the device is physically in China, because that seems like the kind of thing they would have come up with, but nobody really knows. It works, it's exploited.
In our meta world of overly analyzed science fiction tech where every laser sword hyperdrive has to have detailed schematics and rigid adherence to at least theoretical physics, it was really cool to have this future tech that nobody really understands, but uses anyway. Because, of course it's like that. You can write an app for an iPhone without having the first clue how one works. You can stare out the window of an airplane at the engine for hours without having anything more than a rudimentary idea of how that engine runs. I dunno, I found it a refreshing take.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Error 404 posted:

I'm not sure I'm entirely on board with your interpretation, but also this is probably the best argument in favor of the Borg having a Queen that I've seen.

That's what I always thought her whole deal was. The borg want to assimilate the humans/federation, but thus far have been, to their incredulity, rebuffed. So they try again with a new tactic, dangling a lure like an angler fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Maybe Lucutis was a slow acting virus or parasitic fungus that ultimately killed the borg. By assimilating Picard, the collective gained some level of individualism and centralized leadership they never had before. Even the fact that he had a name (7of9 was still just a number of a subgroup.) says something. That festers and infects the whole collective to the point that now they're driven to create a centralized leadership entity with individual identity that they can't function without. This also plays in to the idea of humanity/the Federation being the real virus in the galaxy, parallel but ultimately more insidious than hard forced collectivism.