Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On a related note, Im not sure any game has ever gotten me more invested on going on an insane, galaxy spanning suicide sojurn than "Kharak is burning". You've got this massive sand planet burning in the background as you scramble to move these absolutely massive sheets of machinery containing the last of your people into your mothership before you leave it behind forever and then get repeatedly dwarfed the whole way to a new home.

That said the expansions subtle entire game build up to "This is the warship Kuun-Lan" is such a great capstone to a narrative arc that other games/films/books/tv shows/epic poems wish they could make good on.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Breakdown had it earlier with full, and whenever you did a spin kick or flip, totally dizzying body movement.

Im mentioning this only because Breakdown is some good rear end scifi that also involves punching a lot of shirtless muscle men.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Escape from Butcher Bay's most unrealistic element wasn't that triple-max security prison existed instead of just executing you but rather that people in the future still smoked.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

trespasser from 1998 would have blown your goddamn mind then

All you are is an upper torso and one arm in Trespasser, you don't even have legs despite them letting you down accounting for the majority of your deaths.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is just something literally all FPSes do for no particular reason

As mentioned Halo 2 and Breakdown have very detailed body models, to the point of nausea in the latter's case.

One of my favorite current ones is Doom 5 have a second set of arms for when you are climbing because they need to be bigger.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wasn't that similar to the gimmick to some popular fantasy series where the ultimate death spell didn't kill you so much as it made you never exist so using it could, after it murdered you completely, have unintended consequences like the caster having long ago been murdered in this new time line.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

wdarkk posted:

There's at least EU support for the idea that shields being up can stop a hyperspace ram there's a comic where the Executor takes three Imperial Star Destroyers decelerating out of hyperspace into it with so little space the guys on the ISDs have no idea they're gonna die, but the Executor's shields are able to prevent all damage to it.

As to why the Supremacy had its shields down in Last Jedi, well, what was shooting at it?

The problem is a) anything about shields being down isn't in the film and more damningly b) the end of Rise of the Skywalker shows another ship in space blown up by this because my god you will learn to love suicide bombing star wars fans

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Death is the Road to Awe is one of those songs where if you write it its fine if you never make anything good again, you're still gonna be on the whole a good artist.

The whole ending of that movie is so sumptuous.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What was the one where the younger members of the species are fully sentient and aware but have latent mindcontrol powers over their elders who do everything for them? I thought that was neat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"They're made of meat" was such a good enjoyable short script and a funny way to think about what it truly means to be alien. Makes a good short film someone did too.

The other is I read an astounding number of short sci-fi stories and one was the planet has brutal super long winters so the people were engineered/evolved to go involuntarily into cocoons of goo that kept them in stasis when it got cold and theyd wake up for another brief "summer" between the thousand year winters that would radically alter the landscape so long term construction and continuity of place impossible. Just an interesting way to prevent people having records or civilization markers and how that impacts society and the passing of knowledge.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

I mean, wouldn't he just disappear forever into a work camp if he came out swinging against the CCP? I feel like we have to factor that into account.

They haven't dissappeared the writers of the current smash hit gay romance wuxia despite crackdowns against that elsewhere. There is a difference between "not running counter to the CCP's breakpoints" and "gently caress Yeah CCP Forever!" and pleeeeeeenty of other creators can manage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Maybe the author simply didn't want to risk being dragged from his bed in the middle of the night, tortured and thrown in a hole for the rest of this life for the crime of not showing sufficient enthusiasm to the authoritarian state run by a monster in which he lived?

I consume a decent amount of chinese media and cultural products. There are very definite gaps between something like this and Wolf Warrior 2 and other media, just as there exists in the US a difference between Act of Valor and other war films. Like people who get unpersoned/rejected in china are the people doing documentaries on how hosed up air pollution is, not people whose sci-fi stories lack enough endorsement of CCP.

This is not a situation where a censor demanded these things, this author just is into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is plenty of other sci-fi in China and so many goddamn online only novels that there is no unfairness in critiquing this author the exact same as we critique western authors by writing The Iron Dream which is a devastatingly good book.

Liu Cixin wrote a shitload of other books and short stories (honestly the Three Body Problem would possibly cause trouble for them if published today due to the setting backstory details) and actually gets mad if you try to only discuss Three Body Problem and argues his whole body of work better reflects his views. The rest of his books I've perused are just as heavy handed "I've created a scenario to exposit a moral point to you and tough men must make tough decisions" so to me he has an oeuvre.