Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

On a related note, Im not sure any game has ever gotten me more invested on going on an insane, galaxy spanning suicide sojurn than "Kharak is burning". You've got this massive sand planet burning in the background as you scramble to move these absolutely massive sheets of machinery containing the last of your people into your mothership before you leave it behind forever and then get repeatedly dwarfed the whole way to a new home.

That said the expansions subtle entire game build up to "This is the warship Kuun-Lan" is such a great capstone to a narrative arc that other games/films/books/tv shows/epic poems wish they could make good on.

For nearly the entire game Fleet Intelligence reads his lines very passively and coolly, except for when he's reading off the damage they can see; the voice actor chokes slightly and is quieter.

He's back to impassive and cool when he mentions that the alien soldier they captured didn't survive the interrogation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjjANMCYm9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1ahWObI37w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

twistedmentat posted:

I have to get props for Lucas having Palpatine's plan being really clever; create a crisis that causes one of the few major military powers in the galaxy to rise up, continue to feed that crisis so more and more factions join together. Then use your public position to respond to the crisis you've created and get an army of completely loyal soldiers AND put your mortal enemies in control until the right time. He destroys anyone who could challenge him, both the Jedi and the forces that made up the Confederacy, gets the best apprentice out of it and can rule with what can be argued to be a legal mandate.

He could have had Palpatine win because the heroes are idiots, but actually put some thought into it.

I mean, the heroes are pretty stupid too, p so that helped

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't this Roko's Basilisk

No, I think it's The Sims

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of post-apocalyptic games, a little moment in Armored Core For Answer that you have to go as far out of your way as possible to see is almost getting shot down by a satellite cannon. The premise for the endgame in For Answer is that you can either divert power from flying orbital habitats to ground based anti-satellite cannons to maybe clear the way to space to leave the dying Earth (while simultaneously forcing the habitats down, which are currently using the last bits of energy and resources on the planet to sustain and will eventually finish the human race off with the rest of the planet, one way or the other). Low Earth Orbit is saturated with tens of thousands of military satellites shooting at anything that leaves the surface as well as rival company satellites whenever their orbits cross.

One mission early on is to defend one such habitat that's under attack. If you go back into the level in new game+ (or really know how to build your mech), you can fly straight up from the flying habitat and you start to see streaks of light - you're being targeted and your handler immediately freaks out, ordering you to lower altitude before the unknown force makes you; this is the only time in the game you ever see the satellites and your handler has no clue they're even there. Supposedly in a later level towards the end you can see the streaks of light horizontally as two swarms of satellites crash into each other as well.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Post-apocalyptic views of the present in general are interesting. Fallout doesn't play with it much, but FNV does mention that most Pre-War literature is incomprehensible to post-war people presumably just from lacking context, though ignorance tends to be a function of lacking education rather than a widespread problem, given well-educated people generally have a decent idea of pre-War history, and there's various individuals still surviving from that era. (mainly robots, ghouls, and individuals like Mr House. And the protagonist of Fallout 4, which is a fun idea that's probably not really used to its full potential)

One of my favorite little things that 3, NV, and 4 don't dwell on but make pretty clear is that the world was about five minutes from solving the problems that led to the resource wars that killed the planet (though that also wouldn't have stopped anyone)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 2, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least the Vaygr are still alien. And they have the best looking ships and the best theme music.

Makaan's pretty clearly a dude

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bug Squash posted:

The human system failed. So would have any automated system. The Trisolarans were throwing intelligent protons at Earth. There would simply be no way to automate a defence when you couldn't predict what an attack looked like (nevermind the eventual false positive).

Earth was doomed from the start. Their advanced technology wasn't even their greatest advantage. They were capable of a resolve far greater than mankind. When Earth was discovered the entire planets resources were dedicated to a one shot hundreds year long plan to conquer it. When we had a gun to their head, all they needed to do was wait for the hand to waiver, regardless of how long it took.

Seems pretty dumb of humanity to not pull the trigger immediately anyway then

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 1, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dont think people have an issue with Robotech itself. Robotech is fine and the Macross stuff comes across pretty well. The anger is mainly directed at Harmony Gold for being The Worst.

It's pretty impressive how many things they hosed up or with, isn't it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

I only know about the Macross/Robotech and the Battletech fuckups what else is in there?

They got designs from a whole mess of shows, not just Macross

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I think the Queen is at her best when the show uses her to suggest that there is so much more about the Borg than we understand (her initial appearance, "I am the Borg," "You think in such three dimensional terms"). She's at her worst whenever she appears to make them more concrete and knowable (ie. whenever she comes off as simply "Queen of the Zombies").

She's a tricky character and there are moments even First Contact doesn't really stick the landing, but I'm glad they went for it at least.

I've long had the idea of an episode where the Borg arrive in a kinder, gentler, more peaceful form where they all look like attractive friendly people with built-in bluetooths everywhere and they ride around in a giant G4 Mac Cube and rely on a giant PR and ad campaign to get folks to volunteer for assimilation.

Of course by the end it devolves into the usual massive space battle. The signature image I always imagine is a giant floating billboard in the background with a smiling iBorg representative with the voice of a flight attendant cheerily giving the usual "your culture will adapt to service us, resistance is futile" spiel in the midst of utter chaos and pandemonium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DcjiStB8Ao

The best one is when they suggest that to be as helpful and gracious hosts as possible, hold still so it's easier for the demons to tear your head off

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 27, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

muscles like this! posted:

Reminds me of something that they did in John Scalzi's Old Man War series where Earth colonized another world and set up all their space government stuff there and then lied to all the aliens they met saying that this was their homeworld.

Lol

"Oh no you got us, goodbye forever"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I posted this in the sci-fi ship thread but it blew my mind a little as a kid when, after finally making it to the galactic core in Homeworld, I realized just why the enemy Taiidani ships were yellow and red. It's camo! You're in the middle of huge dust clouds and nebula the rest of the game and it's all yellows and oranges and reds. No black void of space here.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Twenty Four posted:

Every faction in homeworld was cool in some way I think. I'm mostly familiar with the original, but if you want to talk about Sci-Fi moment that blew my mind, playing the beginning of that game when the world gets toasted and your task is to save the last possible surviving chance of the race while Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings but in choir format played behind a somber report of "everyone has died" was jaw dropping.

"The subject did not survive interrogation." lets you know a ton about what happened to that dude

It's hosed up that the only resources you can harvest in that level are the ruins of the Mothership's own scaffold, since you already harvested what few asteroids were around in the first mission.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's one hell of an anti-missile system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hathaway's Flash tried to do the same sort of thing with the plasma rifles but it doesn't work as well as just getting brained the end