Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Haha, this actually just happened to me while posting in another thread. I was mentioning how one of the planned concepts for The Empire Strikes Back was half of Cloud City's population being black.

A lot of John Mollo's early costume concepts for Cloud City citzens were drawn as black people, so it seemed to be an actual production directive rather than a random musing like Lucas considering casting everyone except Chewie with little people.

It might also be relevant to note that initially Lando was conceived as a refugee from the Clone Wars, and was hiding out on Cloud City with the rest of his family, which reproduced through cloning. If Lucas wanted to cast a black actor as Lando, casting extras in cloud city as perceived family members would necessitate a higher number of black actors.

Leia also demonstrates some racism against Lando in an early draft, but it's due to his nature as a clone rather than because of his skin color:

The Empire Strikes Back, first draft posted:

LEIA
Is he a clone?

HAN
Is he a what?

LEIA
You said his family were refugees from the Clone Wars. Is he a clone?

HAN
I donít know, he never told me, I never thought about it. What is all this anyway?

LEIA
I think your friend is lying. I think Threepio was smashed deliberately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

One of the earliest attempts to explain the Clone Wars actually came from Kenner, who pitched for a toy-only storyline after they were done with ROTJ:

Kenner posted:

A powerful force long kept in exile in a remote fringe of the galaxy has been released by the death of the Emperor. It moves now, like a plague, securing control over the shattered remnants of the empire and re-enslaving newly freed worlds. Atha Prime, genetics master, ruler of the dark worlds and architect of the Clone Wars, is free again. His advanced army of combat clones has already decimated rebel outposts along the galactic frontier. His goal is to crush forever the Rebel Alliance and control the Galaxy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, Executor is a real profession that someone can have, though it's a lot more, uh, dry than sharing a name with Vader's flagship would imply.