Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Musluk posted:

So, Yuuzhan Vong?

I can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

David D. Davidson posted:

Looking down and seeing my feet in Halo 2.
Not really a Sci-Fi moment but it was the first time playing a shooter where you could do that.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay did it too.

every morning I open palm slam the button on my xbox...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Vernii posted:

The Revelation Space books had a lot of mindfuck moments. In particular, it's a series in which not only does FTL travel not exist but every attempt to experiment with it ends disastrously by wiping the people attempting it from the timeline. The only way to piece together that an accident even happened is leftover residual evidence from the old timeline and figuring out ways in which the new timeline isn't quite right.

This is a cool idea because it also has a built in reason for whoever figures out FTL to share their method with pretty much everyone, even if just to avoid more timeline fuckery.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The Borg Queen in First Contact is actually quite a bit more in line with your preferred conception of the Borg then you're giving her credit for. She is a "face" the Borg is presenting to Data and Picard in an effort at seduction, to convince someone they deem worthy, rather than to force assimilation (that Data and Picard have managed to foil their plans a few times may be exactly why the Borg are attracted to them here - "an equal"). It makes me wonder if the Borg were going after Troi or Crusher, would they be presented with a Borg "King?"

It's entirely the point that the Borg suck at this, looking like a grotesque parody of human sexuality: the Borg have no social skills, they are a single entity floating in space for an eternity in abject isolation. It's why the the Borg's attempt at being social can only present as a vain, insecure narcissist obsessed with perfection; they refuse to make the kind of compromises necessary to be genuinely attractive, they only truly love themselves.

It's also why the Borg don't simply conquer the Federation rather than go through the time travel plan to stop first contact. The federation is a group of friends, and the Borg find greater pleasure in erasing that moment of interstellar bonding out of petty jealousy.

Someone's about to say :goonsay: "But in Voyager...!" I never saw Voyager. Don't know, don't care. I'm talking about First Contact.

I'm not sure I'm entirely on board with your interpretation, but also this is probably the best argument in favor of the Borg having a Queen that I've seen.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Agreed. I loved the post about culture shock in Macross. I'm not the biggest Mecha-enjoyer, but that whole dive into "what art really means" was resonant and brought some poo poo I've been thinking about into focus.