Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Vernii posted:

There's also a little part in that chapter I thought was neat; one of the mercs Horza is travelling with tries to jump from one deck to another via anti-gravity belt or whatever and plunges to his death instead because Culture Orbitals don't actually have gravity.

That was a great moment, and only on a recent re-read did I remember that the merc leader had warned them all about that earlier, but the one guy wasn't listening or was out of the room or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Polaron posted:

Culture Orbitals are ringworlds and the Culture, being the efficient lot that they are, just spin them up to provide gravity instead of bothering to install artificial gravity.

So the dude jumped off a deck expecting to float down thanks to his anti-gravity device, which only works in artificial gravity.

Instead he got hit with the rotational velocity of a ringworld.

I might be remembering wrong, but I think it wasn't that he got hit with the rotational velocity of a ringworld (since the thing he was jumping from was obviously matching that velocity in order to let them down), just that he jumped from a lot of stories up, wrongly assuming he'd be able to use AG to slow down.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Polaron posted:

That may be correct. It's been a long time since I read whichever book that was in (probably Consider Phlebas, according to free hubcaps).

It definitely was Consider Phlebas, I do at least recall that with certainty. Looks like it's just about time for a re-read!

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

twistedmentat posted:

I haven't seen Insurrection in years so i am probably forgetting a lot of details, so you're most likely right. I watched Jesse Gender's ranking of Trek Movies video today and she ranks that near the bottom, one of the things that she points out that makes it terrible is that Picard only goes Rogue once he realizes he might get some age appropriate lovin' from the Baku lady.

I saw it in the theater when it came out with some friends. We were in college at the time, and had made some homemade pot brownies beforehand that in retrospect were significantly more potent than I could handle. I 100% completely forgot that I'd seen the movie until months later. That's how lousy it is.

That said, I rewatched it for the first time at some point semi-recently, and it wasn't as awful as I'd (not) remembered. Still dumb, and the "tee hee puberty again" stuff was ridiculous, but it had its moments. Now I'd definitely put Nemesis below it.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Sanguinia posted:

Counterpoint: Nemesis has a really good space battle that makes the rest of the film well worth it. Insurrection has NOTHING that makes the rest of the film well worth it.

A fair point, but for whatever reason after rewatching both for the first time(s) since they'd originally came out, I still hated Nemesis more.