Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Two things come to mind. The part in mass effect at the beginning when Nihilus twitches his mandibles around after watching the ground footage of Sovereign,

this one's really good

I also liked the fractal pattern section breaks in the Jurassic Park novel. First time I'd seen fractals.

Also the bit where Malcolm tells them to have the computer try to find more dinosaurs than there was supposed to be. Kind of an introduction to "read as written vs read as intended" and also that computers are not smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

It suddenly occurred to me the other day that that Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow is essentially a roguelike.

isn't a big part of roguelikes the randomness?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 19, 2021

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

frogge posted:

I'm playing through Subnautica right now and all the little details they add in the documents/voice logs really build that universe well. The thing that blew my mind was early on when you catch and cook local fish- the PDA/helper AI tells you to not turn your nose at it because humans have ate cooked meat for millennia instead of vat-grown nutrient paste blocks. Like of course food is gonna be different in an interstellar civilization when you might not have the space for a giant rear end ranch on a starship.

I haven't play subnautica, but isn't there a hypnotic fish that will 'speak' to you in the voice of the AI, saying poo poo like "go clooossseeerrr, touch iiiitttt, don't resissstttt"