Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

"Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences" sounds kind of like the Jovian lifeforms described by Arthur C. Clarke in 2010: Odyssey Two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

nine-gear crow posted:

Something I noticed watching that gif is you can see the transport fire up its engines to make the jump to lightspeed, but it smashes into the Devastator just before it can accelerate, probably because its NaviComputer's safeties engaged when it detected the ship in front of it. If the Star Destroyer came out of hyperspace like even half a second later than it did, it would have been Holdo'd into oblivion and probably taken out the Death Star then and there with its shrapnel.

I feel like there's gotta be more than just "prevent the navicomputer from aborting the jump" to pulling off a Holdo though, because otherwise it's unthinkable that the Alliance wouldn't have been taking transports and disabling whatever safeties it took to turn them into hypermissiles. Even as big as the Death Star is, even if one or multiple transports hypering into it didn't outright explode it, it would still wreak enough havoc to gently caress it up big time.

On thread topic, I will say that, as much as I feel like that stunt poses certain problems for the setting, the scene itself of Holdo's cruiser shredding the First Order fleet was magnificently done and really awe-inspiring in the theater.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Finger Prince posted:

Travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, kid.
If it requires precise calculations to avoid stars and supernovas, it would require even more precise calculations to avoid all that but thread the needle through this particular 300 cubic meter volume of space-time containing a spaceship.

I don't mean like aiming a hypermissile across the whole galaxy. The Alliance probably could have gotten a few transports within spitting distance of the Death Star near Yavin before lighting off the hyperdrives.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me, all those ISD ships with the BDE Cannon underneath from RoS? yea they're all supposed to be like 10km long.

bullshit. they don't even look any bigger to me, they just look like a fleet of death penis impstars.