Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So in one of the Culture novels, the story briefly describes this giant cruise ship that's designed to never stop. It sails on giant rivers on ringworlds, takes hours to walk end-to-end, weighs over a billion tons and takes several years to get up to top speed because they're so massive.

Much later in the story, a character enters one of the storage bays of a Culture starship and it's offhandedly mentioned that way off in the distance, barely at the edge of his vision, one of those cruise ships was being casually packed away for storage and transport.

It's such a little thing that manages to drive home the awe-inspiring size of Culture starships and it does it in text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

McSpanky posted:

I don't quite get this, he fell to his death in the absence of gravity?

Culture Orbitals are ringworlds and the Culture, being the efficient lot that they are, just spin them up to provide gravity instead of bothering to install artificial gravity.

So the dude jumped off a deck expecting to float down thanks to his anti-gravity device, which only works in artificial gravity.

Instead he got hit with the rotational velocity of a ringworld.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
That may be correct. It's been a long time since I read whichever book that was in (probably Consider Phlebas, according to free hubcaps).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It's worth pointing out that the stuff in the background of that shot is the skybox. That's not in the playable game space.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

frogge posted:

I'm playing through Subnautica right now and all the little details they add in the documents/voice logs really build that universe well. The thing that blew my mind was early on when you catch and cook local fish- the PDA/helper AI tells you to not turn your nose at it because humans have ate cooked meat for millennia instead of vat-grown nutrient paste blocks. Like of course food is gonna be different in an interstellar civilization when you might not have the space for a giant rear end ranch on a starship.

I've always liked the codex entry that mentions your wetsuit is actually some hypertech environmental suit, which neatly explains why you never have to worry about the bends.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Since the galaxy Homeworld takes place in is a real one (the Whirlpool Galaxy), I always assumed that it took place so far in the future that humanity had traveled there from the Milky Way, established a civilization (the Progenitors) that fell and fractured into every empire we see in the Homeworld series, and it's just been so long that nobody remembers any of this any more. IIRC, even what we see of the Bentusi in Cataclysm looks human.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
There's definitely signs even in HW1 that the various factions we see are just children playing in the graveyards of giants. Look at the Junkyard Dog inside of the wrecked dyson sphere: a ship a little bigger than an assault frigate capable of effortlessly disabling heavy cruisers and taking more punishment than the Mothership. You also run into the ghost ship, which can subvert anything larger than a corvette and that you never really defeat, just disable long enough to get away.

Also, I'm pretty sure you see Karan Sjet in the very first game and she's recognizably human. It's all moot anyway thanks to Deserts of Kharak, of course, but still.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Don't the warships, at least, canonically look like dildos per that exact "can gently caress whole solar systems" conversation? :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Fivemarks posted:

That's Honor Harrington.

quote:

Ulver laughed. "It looks," she snorted, "like a dildo!"
"That's appropriate," Curt Lyne said. "Armed, it can gently caress solar systems."

:colbert:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah they'd talk about setting up an alpha base but dunno if they ever went there or it played a significant part in the story (I stopped watching at the wacky space racing episode). That would have been an interesting background story with many off world colonies going and how they could have issues with being hard to govern or attract candidates.

I liked that episode with the "bad future" that showed if the Goa'uld made a serious effort they could wreck earth no problem, it created a sense of urgency and showed how earth stood zero chance without tech or allies and the only thing saving them were their foes being too busy.

The Alpha Site does get set up and shows up more than a few times. I feel like the really dangerous black hole-type stuff stopped happening around that point, but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

MikeJF posted:

(Of course, there's a whole bunch of other crap in that season that messes with the concepts of the Borg, but whatever)

Picard S2 messes with the concepts of serialized television, much less what it does to the Borg. God it was bad (aside from the first couple episodes with the Star Trek Online ships showing up, that was cool).