Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

When I read a Culture novel for the first time there was an offhand mention about how the Culture has no laws or prisons, even for murder. My initial reaction was to scoff and roll my eyes at it, but it got me to question a lot of basic assumptions I had about justice and morality which blew my mind.

Like a lot of the Culture's utopia, the idea works because of the Culture's post-scarcity egalitarian society run by god-like minds, but it made me realize we can and should do a lot better even without those things.

They get a slapdrone that stops them hurting anyone else and they don't get invited to any parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mazerunner posted:

isn't a big part of roguelikes the randomness?

Yeah, it's more a soulslike.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

indigi posted:

idk what book it's in since I only know about it from a review, but there's a planet with sentient plants on it that humans arrive to try to colonize that has like 1.25g. they've all been prepared for that, but after a couple days all the characters are complaining that their balls and breasts hurt because the sensitive bits of our bodies aren't built to have sudden, persistent, additional weight placed on them and there's no way to train for it. that's something I hadn't ever considered and it sounds like it would suck poo poo

G is stored in the balls

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Double

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thatbastardken posted:

an executor carries out a will, much like Vader carries out Palpatine's will.

Whoa

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tulip posted:

Most of Invisible Cities is pretty mindblowing but I think Zora is my favorite that's easy to explain, the city that compels all those who see it to learn all its details,

Great stuff.

I love invisible cities so much

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

3 body problem is relentlessly contrived but it is a fascinatingly different style of story telling, you can feel the internal cultural whiplash of things not going the way you expect them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Critiquing political implications of nerd culture? On MY Something awful?!