Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I played X-Wing Alliance for the first time a couple years ago, and I was really hit with how at the beginning it was a really sincere depiction of just a family running their little business out on the frontier in the depths of space. Like I've never cared about space trading games before, but it really got me into the mindset, checking on the depot of storage containers, picking something up, and moving it somewhere else.

The Azzameen family is all the way in the middle of nowhere and the younger members are stir-crazy, but it's also evident that while they seem humble from not having any of the luxuries of civilized space, the family is fairly well-to-do, which is why the elders of the family are so hesitant to risk everything. They've got a whole space station and at least 4 ships big enough to live in. They've even got a family crest. Which is also what ranching families out on the frontier could be like as well, rustic surroundings, but people go out to live that life because you can make a lot of money and living out in the country is cheap. The game had a lot of atmospheric texture even if the story wasn't as spicy as Tie Fighter and so much of the game left contemporary audiences unimpressed because it paled in comparison to Rogue Squadron.

That game also taught me how cool ball turrets were, because if you have a gunner then you can focus more on flying while just keeping enemy ships in the gunner's range of fire (or try to keep enemies sandwiched in the space where multiple turrets overlap). MK-09 felt more like a useful teammate than any of my squadmates in any of the other games.

mind the walrus posted:

In hindsight even his begrudging pandering with baby Boba Fett in 2 and Chewbacca in 3 was nothing compared to what we'd get in 7 and 9. Don't get me wrong those movies still suck hot rear end, but it's a lot easier to pat them on the head for trying in 2021.

Really anything would have been better than the movie we got.

You'd really have to compare more with C-3PO and R2-D2, who are the more contrived and extended cameos in the prequels. That scene where R2-D2 sprouts rockets isn't quiet as egregious as Leia magicking herself out of space, but it comes close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

What's weird is that Dark Souls is actually lets you keep more after deaths as most opposed to other video games where everything is reversed and you go back to your last checkpoint.

Just it does it in a way that makes players extra anxious and aware of the repetition.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I think the biggest hill to get over is the fact that it was really made for a joystick, so you both need to buy a joystick and develop an entirely new set of muscle memory to use it. But if you like it, there's a number of other dated games to play as well.

But I'd really recommend playing Tie Fighter instead because it's both a more detailed plot and a much easier starting point because you start without having to worry about shields and that gives a smoother difficulty curve.

And buying on GOG I think might be better because they have some level of dedication to making sure your game works on your computer that Steam doesn't seem to have.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, its how loving lazy it is. And people didn't even realize it until they looked into the Visual Dictionary for RoS and saw that.

To be fair, a lot of sci-fi has difficulty keeping pace with its large scale, and it ends up getting retconned in weird ancillary material.

Throughout a lot of media the second Death Star is clarified as being like ten times as big of the first one, mainly on the basis of one closeup shot where there's no visible curvature on the Death Star's surface.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind has a lot of moments. Or at least a lot of moments that would've blown my mind if I had seen it much earlier. There's a lot of bits that really were my jam that I probably really would've connected with if they weren't already embedded deep into my brain. Some of it from works that even were directly borrowing from Nausicaa, so you get the same problem as a lot of influential masterpieces. It also doesn't help that the dub is pretty rough and much of the voicework lacks expression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwGLHS7J3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfP3F-ovUY

I think the biggest thing that is still pretty unique about Nausicaa is just how explicitly postapocalyptic the world is, and how it's very literally built upon ruins of the old world and occasionally wielding old-world relics, but it doesn't dwell on it. It's not depressed about the old world being dead, and it's not defining itself by its connection to the old world, or at least not usually. It's just a fact in the background, and the postapocalyptic society is free to feel joy on its own terms.

I think the only other thing that hit me in the same way was how at the start of the movie Reign of Fire they show their own postapocalyptic world with a happy little village before they go off to run around with dragons or some jazz, I dunno.

Another thing that is still truly unique is the beautiful strange wilderness of the Forest of Corruption, which is basically just a bunch of fungus species scaled way up, but fungus is pretty dang weird. Helps that there's beautiful art direction and you really can appreciate how pretty it is when there's a light and fluffy snow of deadly spores.

But I think the littlest thing that really hit me hard when I watched the movie for the first time are Nausicas's gunshells. See, she's got six of them there sewn into her shirt. Only six.

And it blew my mind because like everything connected in my head. Obviously they're not gonna have access to as much gunpowder without present day industry, and even less in a small backwoods area, so no fooling around with automatics. Gotta ration those shots as much as possible. No clips, just load and fire. And Nausicaa gets as much use as she can out of those shells, she even pours the gunpowder out of one to loosen an eyeball's shell. Really made me think about how weapons are complex tools.

And I don't think Miyazaki would've really wanted me to gain a new appreciation of weapons, but it's part of how so many of the mechanics and pieces of the world are so well-thought out. Another example is the gas masks, every group has a different design, Kushana's men have their masks built into their helmets, the Dorok have like a small clump with tubes, and the Wormhandlers have like a nose cover with tubes going directly into their noses because theirs are meant to possibly never come off. With Nausicaa's particular type of mask the bags are actually redundant filters so they can be split if it's necessary. It makes so much sense.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Adventure Time doesn't really get me the same way, because it's very much not about the apocalypse. It stated out as a background gag, and by the time it started to really elaborate on the apocalypse directly, there was a new showrunner whose entire philosophy basically revolved around the characters never considering the broader or deeper implications of anything.

Girl's Last Tour lacks a rebuilt society, and the story is still pretty dominated by the melancholy of the apocalypse, although it's still pretty good.

grassy gnoll posted:

In the unlikely event you haven't done so already, you really owe it to yourself to read the comic version.

Oh yeah, I read all of that and it's a masterpiece, but I didn't want to make my long post much longer. The manga fleshed out a lot of the politics of the world and developed a subplot of psychic powers and biotechnology where Nausicaa ends up as even more of a messiah. I think the thing that stands out most to me about that is when she and Teto are steadily suffering from radiation sickness as she guides a newborn God Warrior who is also melting from the strain of using its powers.

And then when she finds the Crypt of Shuwa, it turns out that it's a time capsule meant to guide the restoration of the world and restore civilization after the radiation is gone, because all current life is too adapted to radiation to survive in a non-irradiated environment. As part of that mission, the Crypt ingratiated itself with the political elite to maintain control. Nausicaa rejects their offers and destroys the Crypt of Shuwa with either the idea "we'll figure out how to survive in a post-radiation world and we don't need you" or "if we can't survive after the world is purified it's fine, humanity can just all die out." I'm not really sure which.

I'd sure like it to be the former, which is kinda plausible when you see the wonders that the Forest People have done, maybe they can figure it out, and it's better not to pay the cost that the Crypt asked. The latter seems pretty inconsistent with Nausicaa having spent the whole rest of the series caring about people and keeping them alive, but a lot of people really resonate with environmentalism-driven nihilism, so iunno.

I also really like the wormhandlers and their society, because they seem like a more realistic take than Dune's Fremen. They can survive out in the forest, but that doesn't make them tougher or some kind of supermen. They just know the tricks to living in the forest. And how to handle worms.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

She's wearing pants. It's basically the same uniform as the soldiers of the Valley of the Wind are wearing. I do kinda wonder why her legs are so rigidly back instead of swaying like they're being pushed by the wind currents, but it doesn't read as horny at all.

There's a point in the movie where she does wear a dress, but she also puts on an even thicker pair of pants underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFgZJWjsAks

I think this is also an interesting bit because it illustrates the sky itself having a sort of geography that Nausicaa has to maneuver around. That may actually one thing the movie does better than the manga, because the manga talks a lot about Nausicaa's ability to read and ride wind currents, but since it never really explores what she's thinking about how she's gliding, it kinda comes off as just another one of her supernatural messiah abilities.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Here's a thing that made an impression on me.

So basically in the world of Girl Genius, most of the world is teeming with the leavings of errant mad scientists, roaming across the empty areas between towns, posing a danger to travelers, but they also become a valuable resource to harvest parts and supplies from.

It's sort of been forgotten about in the comic in later days as the main characters have been able to take secure transit basically everywhere they go for a long while now, between defended train lines and airships, but the idea of roaming robots in the wilderness that you have to hunt down for their parts really captivates me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

The worldbuilding in Homeworld 2 was a hot mess, but Homeworld 1 left everything about the galaxy very vague anyways.

There's not a lot of works that have the guts to just do the whole story about aliens with no humans in sight.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Sanguinia posted:

Makes me think of Horizon Zero Dawn

I feel like it loses something when you're just breaking down sheet metal into pointy bits. They never actually use any of the mechanisms to do things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I think that something special can come out of taking liberties with localizing a piece of media, whether it's just localizing jokes or if it's a total rebuild and re-edit of an originally mediocre series.