Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!

indigi posted:

idk what book it's in since I only know about it from a review, but there's a planet with sentient plants on it that humans arrive to try to colonize that has like 1.25g. they've all been prepared for that, but after a couple days all the characters are complaining that their balls and breasts hurt because the sensitive bits of our bodies aren't built to have sudden, persistent, additional weight placed on them and there's no way to train for it. that's something I hadn't ever considered and it sounds like it would suck poo poo
But both balls and breasts vary far more than that in weight? It'd exacerbate issues like big breasts causing back strain, but how does as little as +25% strain cause universal problems? I suppose maybe every character either had big breasts, or they were like "Yeah, my balls are so huge, so this is a real issue to me".

That said, the think I'm imagining now is people getting jacked eyelids, since they need stronger muscles to keep them open.

grassy gnoll posted:

No, Roko's basilisk is the jerkoff techbro notion that if you don't bring about the singularity then the god-AI will simulate a perfect you and torture you because ???

The Hells in Surface Detail are explicitly maintained because numerous cultures around the galaxy believe their populations will immediately resort to cannibal sex-murder if they're not threatened with punishment once they die and/or they're just brain-scanned and dumped into a Hell because you pissed off the wrong person.

One is Reddit transhuman atheism, while the latter is just your standard broken interpretation of Christianity. You can tell the difference because the whole of Christian history has slightly fewer pedophiles.
Roko's basilisk is very clearly a theistic belief, you even call it a god-AI in your own post. Depending on the version of Christianity, it's either just a repackaging of Christianity in a "rationalist" package, or a sort of anti-Christianity where God comes into being to punish humanity as opposed to dying to save us - the more extreme interpretation of that being the notion that Christianity is an atheistic religion, because God is dead.

Sure, it comes out of a certain subset of atheist thought, but that thought is by all appearances just a vociferous rejection of an upbringing the person never manages to let go, so it's not exactly weird that a bunch of them would eventually find a new god to worship/fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

indigi posted:

Balls and boobs are only meant to be “load bearing” in one sense. they don’t suddenly increase in weight by 25% in your 40s
Well, boobs might increase by more, earlier.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm sure there's people with balls that are 25% bigger or smaller than mine. But if mine got 25% heavier overnight I would probably notice.
Sure, but being able to feel something and that thing hurting is not at all the same thing. It'd just get rolled into a general "Oh, I feel heavy here" feeling, not a specific "Oh no, my balls are being torn apart by gravity" thing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

kraken! posted:

I think they're talking about pregnancy
I was actually talking about implants.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

indigi posted:

a notoriously painless procedure
Now I don't have personal experience with getting implants, but I feel like "getting foreign objects inserted into your body" might be a bigger source of discomfort than the actual weight of the implants.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

indigi posted:

why is it even some dudes responsibility, it should just be an automatic response. if weapons armed = yes then broadcast
I mean, that might be the message of the story. An automatic MAD system that truly assures destruction > human controlled system that can prevent an accidental doomsday but also fail to respond to an actual attack.