Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Chocobo posted:

Nah, basically the premise was Luo Ji had set up a system that would, with the press of a button, broadcast the coordinates of Trisolaris through the rest of the universe, which would effectively doom both worlds and both races to die. He used the threat of Mutually Assured Destruction to leverage a truce. The Trisolarans knew that he was fully willing and capable of burning down the whole house the instant he thought they were up to something, so they didn't make any attempt while he was the Swordholder. The Trisolarans also knew that his successor was softhearted and wouldn't be capable of dooming all humanity without hesitation. Literally within seconds of him handing over the kill switch and leaving the room, the aliens launch an attack at the gravity-wave antennas that would have been used to make the broadcast, eliminating the threat of MAD and effectively conquering the Earth.

That's an extremely condensed version, the author spends entire chapters building Luo Ji's resolve and explaining how human society and culture changed over the years to even allow a softhearted person to be elected successor. loving love that series.

Doesn't it then go into some pretty Authoritarian and nationalist wank, like entire paragraphs about how humanity will be cured of a desire for democracy because they'll see it doesn't work? Isn't Liu Cixin like, a huge piece of poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Polaron posted:

Don't the warships, at least, canonically look like dildos per that exact "can gently caress whole solar systems" conversation? :v:

That's Honor Harrington.

indigi posted:

if you look at the improvement in living conditions and life expectancy in China the last half century+ it seems pretty rational for someone who lives there to come to that conclusion given that the only other example in history that comes close to the standard China set is another authoritarian nondemocratic nationalist state (the USSR). He may be a piece of poo poo but I wouldn’t hold that particular belief against him

That doesn't justify him treating chinese americans as traitors who've been too brainwashed by western ideals to "See the truth." Or being 100% down with the Uighur Genocide. A CHUD sci-fi author is a CHUD sci-fi author, it doesn't matter if they're an American like Heinlein or E.E Doc Smith, or Chinese like Liu Cixin.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Bug Squash posted:

The Dark Forest theory long predates the Dark Forest book. It just forms a central theme. We wouldn't even be blinking if an American had written a book with that premise.

Yes we would. If Someone brought up The Killing Star, I'd raise a fuss about how it's central premise is inherently xenophobic and depressingly cynical. I talk about how E.E Doc Smith and H. Beam Piper both have terrible ideas that they put in their works and how it ruins them. This isn't sinophobia- this is disliking regressive and xenophobic politics and outlooks regardless of the source.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Okay real talk, I've got an example of my mind being blown that happened like five minutes ago. I got to Musashi's sacrifice in the final volume of the original Getter Robo. Holy poo poo.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Bug Squash posted:

It's not that you're wrong about the author, but this is the same arguement we see from freeze peach defenders. Lots of noise about how in theory they would rush to defend a Marxist, yet strangely only ever seen to defend fascism. I'm happy to go over Bad Politics Authors, but in the context of rising and virulent sinophobia it's a bad look that it's only the 3BP guy getting savaged.

This is absolutely disingenuous and you know it. "You can't criticize this author because then its SINOPHOBIA" is a bullshit defense akin to people saying you can't criticize Israeli actions towards the Palestinians because that would be Antisemitism.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Pacifist sci-fi is for people who have never had to face oppression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Expo70 posted:

The fact you equate non-violence and pacifism to mean the same thing speaks volume of your character. These are the thoughts of a person with a persecution complex. I can say without a doubt that while you have probably have had a hard life, these are not words you have never heard.

You know, I loving hate it when people talk down to me.