Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

She's delusional,
"where's god", etc.
Completely suicidal.
One day she snaps.
She wants to kill herself
but she realizes that
teen suicide is out this year
and homicide is a much healthier therapeutic expression.

Haha, this actually just happened to me while posting in another thread. I was mentioning how one of the planned concepts for The Empire Strikes Back was half of Cloud City's population being black.

And that got me thinking about how automatic we the audience seem to accept that certain things depicted on screen are simply a product of time period and culture: everyone in Star Wars is "white" for the same reason everyone in Star Wars speaks "English". But then, if they'd gone through with introducing a majority black setting, that would appear to have canonized human races as we know them being A Thing in the Star Wars universe, and that came with it a lot of questions: why is everyone in the rebellion white? Why does Cloud City have so many black people? Are there any particular cultural and political differences between the races? If so, do they resemble the way they are IRL? ie., do they call themselves "white" and "black", etc.?

Or maybe that's just another example of trying to apply IRL baggage to a fantasy setting, maybe humans in this universe have completely accepted that after a bunch of generations people in a specific setting will tend to look similar and, especially when there's thousands of species of sentient aliens walking around, they by and large haven't decided to classify themselves into "races" and it's just my limited IRL 21st century Earthling sensibilities that presume that they must? Hell, maybe that's exactly the provocation: oh, so you see a bunch of black people together on screen and therefore that must Mean Something, eh? You racist lol...

I don't loving know the answers to any of these, but it made me realize there's a long rabbit hole to go down that I didn't even realize was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

She's delusional,
"where's god", etc.
Completely suicidal.
One day she snaps.
but she realizes that

Robot Style posted:

Leia also demonstrates some racism against Lando in an early draft, but it's due to his nature as a clone rather than because of his skin color:

When Leia says "I don't trust Lando," I always imagine Han going "Why cause he's black?"

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

She's delusional,
"where's god", etc.
Completely suicidal.
One day she snaps.
but she realizes that

nine-gear crow posted:

This moment right here.

It's a magic combination of the music, the shot composition, the building tension, and the moment of release of three whole movies-worth of struggle and hardship for the TOS crew that begins when Khan fires those first phaser blasts at the original Enterprise and ends right here when the camera pans over the bow of the Excelsior and reveals the Enterprise-A.

It's just one of those perfect movie moments that I wish I could live in forever.

I could quibble that this probably isn't the type of thing the thread's about... but instead I'll agree, the catharsis of this scene is amazing.