Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to rule them all,
One Potato to find them,
One Potato to bring them all
And in the darkness bind them.

Bread Liar

Rendezvous with Rama, by Arthur C Clarke. (I think)

A huge O'Neill cylinder, 20km wide by 50 km long enters the solar system and humanity sends astronauts to meet it. They make their way inside the darkened vessel and hear a roaring which they eventually realise is coming from a "waterfall" made by a central core pipe running along the centre of the cylinder pouring out water.

It's so dark they can't see it, but one astronaut remarks that the water won't be falling straight down, but must be making a huge spiral due to the turning of the cylinder.

The idea of that spiral waterfall 20km across blew my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to find them,

Bread Liar

Barudak posted:

All you are is an upper torso and one arm in Trespasser, you don't even have legs despite them letting you down accounting for the majority of your deaths.

I will never forget what the player model in Thief: The Dark Project looked like.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to find them,

Bread Liar

Yeah, the one in Rise really hosed up any chance of a simple answer beyond "we've already spent the money on the effects, just cram it in somewhere."

If they'd added a line in Last Jedi like "Divert all power from shields to main batteries, I want those ships brought down the instant they come into range and they're in no position to be any threat to us," all would be well.

If there's one thing Imperial/First Order officers have shown us, is that they're arrogant idiots who are responsible for their own deaths 99% of the time.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 27, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to find them,

Bread Liar

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to find them,

Bread Liar

indigi posted:

tie a weight around your sack for a week and get back to us

Or maybe just put on some underwear.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to find them,

Bread Liar

If you want to talk about shows getting butchered - Battle of the Planets / G-Force.

Whoah, that's a really unfortunate salute they've got going there.

I loved the show as a kid, but I tried watching it again as an adult and, good lord, it made no goddamn sense.

They had so obviously taken bits from multiple episodes and just spliced them together with no care for how they worked. And when things were too ridiculous even for that, they inserted 7 Zark 7, a robot who lived at the bottom of the sea and didn't even exist in the original cartoon, to exposit some bullshit "Oh no, the giant insect robot suddenly changed into a giant spaceship robot off camera for some reason!" and just generally pad out the running time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to find them,

Bread Liar

Maybe the author simply didn't want to risk being dragged from his bed in the middle of the night, tortured and thrown in a hole for the rest of this life for the crime of not showing sufficient enthusiasm to the authoritarian state run by a monster in which he lived?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to find them,

Bread Liar

Yeah, sorry that was me overreacting after spending too much time arguing with tankies over the whole Apple Daily thing. But that's my damage and I should have taken a deep breathe before posting.

Your reading of things makes much more sense.