Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

What's a war hero got to do to get some lubrication around here?

There is a part in Dune where Duke Leto is walking around the palace at Arrikeen and he comes across two soldiers.

"Where's the shower?"
"None here, you scrub your rear end with sand! Oh poo poo its the Duke!"

Everyone in Dune is either a noble, a mystic, some kind of desert survivor or otherwise not a normal person, so they all talk in very specific ways, none of it sounds like a regular person would talk, but here you have 2 just regular soldiers and they talk like no one else in the novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Fremen kind of are normal people for Arrakis, mind.

There is nothing normal about the Fremen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

When you really pull back and look at the chronology of the mega-franchise, this was very arguably the moment when the era of "Peak Trek" began. The next major release was "Encounter at Farpoint" which set off a run of spin-offs and theatrical releases which spanned around 13 years. It's weird to think of now, and it's not like Star Wars didn't exist during that time, but there were no major Star Wars releases so for the late 80s and nearly all of the 90s Star Trek was the big sci-fi franchise in town. I honestly took it for granted as a kid, and now having had literally 2/3rds of my life bombarded by Lucasfilms' creations I wish I had appreciated that era more.

The 90s was the decade of Star Trek. Star Wars at best had video games, comics and books, but without a TV and movie presence it was not going to unseat Star Trek as the nerd thing. There was always 2 shows on the air during the majority of the decade, movies came out regularly. The quality might be debatable, but Undiscovered Country and First Contact were extremely well received, Generations a bit less, Insurrection was probably better than is given credit for.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Not the thread for it, but Insurrection is really terrible and I'll go to the ground on that. It was well-received at first and it's very inoffensive when you first watch it, but its awfulness is insidious. The more you let it sit, the more the little things add up and the worst it gets. It's a lot like "Man of Steel" in that regard. I'd honestly cite it as the real turning point for when Peak Trek ended and never recovered.

I haven't seen Insurrection in years so i am probably forgetting a lot of details, so you're most likely right. I watched Jesse Gender's ranking of Trek Movies video today and she ranks that near the bottom, one of the things that she points out that makes it terrible is that Picard only goes Rogue once he realizes he might get some age appropriate lovin' from the Baku lady.

Two related things, i was rewatching 2001 after watching a video that got really into its meaning and something I realized is that when Bowman is walking down the access corridor in the Jupiter 2 he very carefully steps on black panels, which is because those are velcro and he has velrco on his boots so he can walk in the parts of the ship that don't have gravity.

Related, The Expanse does really cool stuff with gravity. They have a ready made excuse not to have the actors floating all the time, with the magnetic boots, and that lead to one of the coolest an creepiest shots in the entire series. Mild spoilers, but an UN ships crew goes nuts and everyone starts killing each other, and there is a shot of a hallway with dead crew still in their magnetic boots dead, just floating in the zero G, lifeless.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

I have to get props for Lucas having Palpatine's plan being really clever; create a crisis that causes one of the few major military powers in the galaxy to rise up, continue to feed that crisis so more and more factions join together. Then use your public position to respond to the crisis you've created and get an army of completely loyal soldiers AND put your mortal enemies in control until the right time. He destroys anyone who could challenge him, both the Jedi and the forces that made up the Confederacy, gets the best apprentice out of it and can rule with what can be argued to be a legal mandate.

He could have had Palpatine win because the heroes are idiots, but actually put some thought into it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

It suddenly occurred to me the other day that that Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow is essentially a roguelike.

Now I want a cut where every time he dies, the Dark Souls YOU DIED thing appears.

Sanguinia posted:

I just wish he could have put somewhat MORE thought into it so the movies could have told that story better. And also a better form of that story.

Not going to deny that, all the kid friendly moments and pointless action scenes that just go on too long.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Battle of Scarif is probably the best space battle in Star Wars.

frogge posted:

I'm playing through Subnautica right now and all the little details they add in the documents/voice logs really build that universe well. The thing that blew my mind was early on when you catch and cook local fish- the PDA/helper AI tells you to not turn your nose at it because humans have ate cooked meat for millennia instead of vat-grown nutrient paste blocks. Like of course food is gonna be different in an interstellar civilization when you might not have the space for a giant rear end ranch on a starship.

I was thinking about this when developing the backstory for what I've been trying to write for ages. Humans going into space are not going to take cows and chickens with them. seeds and bulbs and such are a much better food source. If the planet they're going to isn't suitable for crops they can grow them hydroponically until it becomes possible to grow them on the planet. You could not rely on local food sources, we evolved eating certain things and on an alien world where life may take entirely different forums it might give you the Hershey squirts every time you eat something, or worse. This eventually just turned the humans who colonized space to just culturally become sorta vegan. Even after they find animals that are safe for humans to eat they just keep eating plants.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 24, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

It was said, I think in the guide to Last Jedi, that the Raddus had experimental shields that made it possible for such destruction. It's not something you can just do. Then it shows up in Rise of Skywalker because it was a finished effect and they just had to cut and past it.

Also the transport that smashed into the ISD there, those are basically just tin cans that haul cargo, they're not designed to survive anything stronger than taking off and landing, so i don't think they would do much damage.

That reminds me when I watched Return of the Jedi on DVD for the first time I saw that you can actually see the A-wing crash through the bridge in the flames of the Executor.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Gangringo posted:

For actual content I really enjoyed a scene in one of the Culture novels where the ship is showing a person what they think is a real-time view of a fight it is having with another ship but then the ship says something like "and this part coming up is the best"

It explains that the actual fight was over in a fraction of a second and he was just slowing everything down for the human's meat brain.

I really should read the Culture novels someday. I've realized that people at Games Workshop have decided that the Dark Age of Technology era of humanity that humans reach their apex of technology and power is basically the Culture setting. There is a short story that features some Tech Priests and Space Marines boarding a fully functional AI controlled ship that has reappeared. The AI just mocks them endlessly for their primitive technology and religious fanaticism and runs off.

The level of AI that was described to me in the Culture novels sounds exactly like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

That reminds me, all those ISD ships with the BDE Cannon underneath from RoS? yea they're all supposed to be like 10km long. And the effects team literally just dug up the models used in Rogue One, made them black put the gun on the bottom and increased their size. That's it. That blew my mind in how lazy the whole movie was. Though costume department outdid themselves with the Sith Uniforms, probably my favorite uniforms in Star Wars, the dark grey with red accents, really striking and perfectly space fashy. Too bad we see them for like 30 seconds in the entire movie.

I can find enought redeeming stuff about every star wars movie to put them at least a C, but RoS is a D-, squeaking by due to one very cool fight and Rey's exquisitely sculpted arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

bullshit. they don't even look any bigger to me, they just look like a fleet of death penis impstars.

Yea, its how loving lazy it is. And people didn't even realize it until they looked into the Visual Dictionary for RoS and saw that.