Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

picture me workin McDonald's!
I'd rather pull a mac on you
sorry Ms. Jackson, but I'm packin

Pillbug

idk what book it's in since I only know about it from a review, but there's a planet with sentient plants on it that humans arrive to try to colonize that has like 1.25g. they've all been prepared for that, but after a couple days all the characters are complaining that their balls and breasts hurt because the sensitive bits of our bodies aren't built to have sudden, persistent, additional weight placed on them and there's no way to train for it. that's something I hadn't ever considered and it sounds like it would suck poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

a cool thing about The Culture is that there's ships that without notice will go dormant for centuries and hide in random spots in the galaxy so that in the event of some galactic threat that wipes out all sentience or w/e they can restart The Culture from scratch after the threat has passed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

Cactus posted:

That bit in Devs where the old-ish guy sets the machine to run two seconds into the future.

Any one of the people in that room could've broke the machine by simply not doing what they had just watched themselves be about to do, but none of them did.

they couldn't, actually

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But both balls and breasts vary far more than that in weight? It'd exacerbate issues like big breasts causing back strain, but how does as little as +25% strain cause universal problems? I suppose maybe every character either had big breasts, or they were like "Yeah, my balls are so huge, so this is a real issue to me".

That said, the think I'm imagining now is people getting jacked eyelids, since they need stronger muscles to keep them open.

Roko's basilisk is very clearly a theistic belief, you even call it a god-AI in your own post. Depending on the version of Christianity, it's either just a repackaging of Christianity in a "rationalist" package, or a sort of anti-Christianity where God comes into being to punish humanity as opposed to dying to save us - the more extreme interpretation of that being the notion that Christianity is an atheistic religion, because God is dead.

Sure, it comes out of a certain subset of atheist thought, but that thought is by all appearances just a vociferous rejection of an upbringing the person never manages to let go, so it's not exactly weird that a bunch of them would eventually find a new god to worship/fear.

Balls and boobs are only meant to be “load bearing” in one sense. they don’t suddenly increase in weight by 25% in your 40s

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

tie a weight around your sack for a week and get back to us

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

lol wait a second

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, boobs might increase by more, earlier.

do you think puberty happens over the course of 20 minutes?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

a notoriously painless procedure

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

wow that artist cannot draw faces at all. it’s almost impressive how bad they are. very weird since the rest of the art seems decent at worst

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

it doesn’t make more sense, if it was accomplished in seconds they could have attacked the gravity wave antennas at any time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

why is it even some dudes responsibility, it should just be an automatic response. if weapons armed = yes then broadcast

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

Bug Squash posted:

I see no possible problems with an automated doomsday device. Especially one you need to react to never before seen technology from a much more advanced enemy.

the human system is perfect (???)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

there was a twist in Blindsight?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

Bug Squash posted:

When we had a gun to their head, all they needed to do was wait for the hand to waiver, regardless of how long it took.

that's why you give the trigger to a robot, whose hand will not waver

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

just put it in an anti-sophon box. this isn't difficult

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

I mean if all computers are vulnerable then the gravity broadcaster would never be a viable deterrent in the first place, unless the entire system were somehow analog. clearly there's some limit to what sophons can do

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

oh yeah that was a pretty neat version of misanthropy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

that felt really cheap to me. “oh haha you thought this one thing that was supported by the entirety of the text to this point? actually it’s this other thing I just made up”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

Fivemarks posted:

Doesn't it then go into some pretty Authoritarian and nationalist wank, like entire paragraphs about how humanity will be cured of a desire for democracy because they'll see it doesn't work? Isn't Liu Cixin like, a huge piece of poo poo?

if you look at the improvement in living conditions and life expectancy in China the last half century+ it seems pretty rational for someone who lives there to come to that conclusion given that the only other example in history that comes close to the standard China set is another authoritarian nondemocratic nationalist state (the USSR). He may be a piece of poo poo but I wouldn’t hold that particular belief against him