Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That bit in Devs where the old-ish guy sets the machine to run two seconds into the future.

Any one of the people in that room could've broke the machine by simply not doing what they had just watched themselves be about to do, but none of them did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

indigi posted:

they couldn't, actually

Wasn't that one of the whole points of it? It's been a while but (finale spoilers) doesn't the fact that there was a huge blind spot in the future of the Machines predictions that turned out to be caused by a character saying "gently caress what the machine says I'm supposed to do, I'm going to do something different instead! Universe, you're not the boss of me!" imply that anyone else could have done that at any time and caused the blind spot that broke the machine to occur, but they all chose not to because they wanted to believe the machine was omniscient, and that the Universe was deterministic?

Or maybe I just completely misinterpreted the whole thing lmao.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is the only place on the internet I can stand to talk about games still so thank you for your service

I dunno what it is but like, Reddit, gaf/era whatever within 10 minutes I'm just like this is dumb. You're all dumb

Balls'n'Breasts!

Checks out!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tulip posted:

Devs is pretty dumb on those counts so I'd mostly say that the writers just plumb hosed up on making a thematically coherent story.

Wasn't it also implied that they themselves were probably a simulation inside a machine, that was itself a simulation in a simulation etc, and that reality is a nested bunch of simulations simulating each other infinitely in both directions? Yeah it was very naval-gazing tech-mogul-esque. Still liked it though, and the soundtrack was brilliant when it was being eerie.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That description of the post-apocalypse reminds me of Adventure Time. The end of the world was a thousand years ago, there's only one human left as far as most people know, and everyone's long moved on. The detritus of the old world is all over the place in the background. And there's a massive chunk blown out of the Earth.

B-but what about isostatic adjustment?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

What's blowing my mind watching this is the animators decision to make the character go commando and bear her arse at every opportunity.

Come on sci-fi, can we not be better than this?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I mean don't get me wrong I'm not a prude or anything. I'll watch Game of Thrones, or Masters of Sex, or Raven Riley, or whatever, without batting an eyelid. It just seems comedically, eye-rollingly out of place to have that kind of titillation in such a cerebral cartoon.

edit:
the art style and music remind me a lot of a sci-fi cartoon I used to love rewatching as a kid, Time Masters

Cactus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

She's wearing pants. It's basically the same uniform as the soldiers of the Valley of the Wind are wearing. I do kinda wonder why her legs are so rigidly back instead of swaying like they're being pushed by the wind currents, but it doesn't read as horny at all.

There's a point in the movie where she does wear a dress, but she also puts on an even thicker pair of pants underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFgZJWjsAks

I think this is also an interesting bit because it illustrates the sky itself having a sort of geography that Nausicaa has to maneuver around. That may actually one thing the movie does better than the manga, because the manga talks a lot about Nausicaa's ability to read and ride wind currents, but since it never really explores what she's thinking about how she's gliding, it kinda comes off as just another one of her supernatural messiah abilities.

I didn't see it as being deliberately horny either, just kinda funny, kinda eye-rolly, and unnecessary in the context of what type of film it is.

In that bit near the end she is wearing pants, definitely. Right at the beginning, though, I'm not so sure, and I'll tag it NWS just to be on the safe side.

...i mean come on

aaanyway for content:
I always like when sci-fi authors try to get across a totally alien way of thinking, perceiving the world, or existing. Iain M Banks has, rightfully, already been brought up in this thread, and one particular passage I remember reading and it making me go "whoah" was in I think Excession. It was a few pages long and he was describing the concept the AI Minds had to be mindful of called "the Off Switch". What does a sentient artificial intelligence with vast amounts of processing power do for lesiure? Why, they construct mind-bogglingly complex multi-dimensional VR-scapes in their own minds and lose themselves in there for varying amounts of time. The problem is, when you can create a whole multiverse-sized virtual world that is more real, more compelling to exist in than the real thing could ever be, why would you ever leave? So you have to also create an Off Switch, and you have to place it in a prominent place in your virtual world where it's always easy to use, or you'll stay forever and never wake up. Just the way he wrote that entire bit was awesome.

Some good example of interesting descriptions of aliens' POV are Peter F Hamilton when describing the Ly-cilph in his Confederation trilogy, or MorningLightMountain in the Commonwealth Saga. Arthur C Clark has numerous examples of well-concieved aliens though I'll admit my memory of any specifics here is failing me as it's been so long since I read any of his stuff, as has Vernor Vinge with his Dog-like pack-creatures, the Tines. I'm a sucker for outside-the-box weirdness when it comes to describing things that are truly alien, and it must be far more difficult to do than it seems because of how rarely I see it done well.