Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Edit: Update on previous page!

Wow, this game really isn't coy about its origin, is it?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

“If we get all the wolves, we win. If the wolves get everyone else, we lose.”

Also you die. Kind of feel like that's a bigger deal than whether or not you won the game. Unless the consequences are either way bigger (victorious wolves will end the world?) or way smaller (everyone comes back to life at the end?) than presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I feel like, whether he's a wolf or the snake, showing your cards like this on round one is an incredibly dumb move on Muro's part.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

placid saviour posted:

I feel like, whether he's a wolf or the snake, showing your cards like this on round one is an incredibly dumb move on Muro's part.

If he's a wolf, he's already totally neutered the Spider this night, and if he can keep the ruse going the two wolves can chew through a lot of people pretty quickly.

On the other hand, on a meta level, it also makes sense for the plot if the Snake is actually providing some early information in a way that all but guarantees they won't be there by the time things really ramp up.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Wait, you don't know if you hanged a wolf or not by default? That's usually a commonm rule that the role is revealed on-kill.
This presents 2 issues:

1. How do you even know you got both wolves? Let's say the crow bites it tonight, how do you know to stop hanging folks?
2. Someone is gonna fake being a crow so we'd relax a bit too early -____-

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Regallion posted:

1. How do you even know you got both wolves? Let's say the crow bites it tonight, how do you know to stop hanging folks?

Presumably, no one dies that night.

Unless the wolves can choose not to kill anyone?

Maybe also a case where only one wolf is left, and they target someone the spider is protecting. But maybe the protectee gets to know that they would have died.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I mean the wolves could just decide to kill nobody, there ain't no rule they can't skip a night if they want to.
It's not stated if the wolves know they are wolves though or if they know who the other wolf is.
In fact it's not even confirmed that our protag isn't a wolf.
This is a mite annoying

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

everyone says "werewolf, who wolf"

nobody ever asks, "how wolf" :smith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ah, yes, the entirely new and never-before-thought-of strategy of Follow the Cop. No possible way that could go wrong.

So, in Mafia/Town of Salem terms, we have 14 people, counting the protagonist:
6 Vanilla Town
1 Confirmed Town (Haruaki/The Player)
1 Doctor
1 Cop
1 Weird Role
2 Confirmed Masons
2 Werewolves (who may or may not have additional powers)

Under normal rules, this would be an extremely town-favoring setup, and would still be pretty town-favoring even with two night kills... except for the hangings being automatically janitored. That is going to make the primary tactic of the town players, "re-evaluate everyone's statements and reactions in light of the flips", much less effective. Instead, it's going to rely almost entirely on A) how effective the town power roles are at playing their parts, and B) how good the wolves are at lying. Gonna be real interesting, especially with actual lives and grief on the line.

Chiemi being a wolf would make for an interesting twist, but it would also completely break the outsider's (and, thus, the player's) emotional connection to how this works out. Plus, none of what she's done makes sense if she's a wolf, unless she's going for an absolutely galaxy brain late-game play of flipping on him once everyone else is extra-suspicious.

I'm curious what the plot lock about her real reason is. Maybe she's one of the power roles and knows something. (Although, the answer being "because you're a werewolf" being behind Key 20 would be hilarious.) Aside from that 'it'd be funny', I think that, if something's going to happen with her, I think it's much more likely that it'll be her dying near the end of the game, once we've had time to get to know these characters ourselves.

I'm also about to buy the game for myself, so this will be my last time actively speculating in the thread, rather than just relentlessly shitposting.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The part where it's actually happening and people (who they've mostly known all their lives and are related to in several cases) are actually going to die tends to throw the pure logic game for a loop. Especially since at this stage it seems like a bunch of the younger folks think this is all just a bunch of superstition.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Okay, so...presumably anyone wandering around outside of their rooms is fair game for the wolves (in addition to their single free kill at night per standard Werewolf rules). There's no real reason for the "hole up in your rooms and pray" rule otherwise.

That makes Chiemi a strong contender for the spider, I think; it'd explain why Haruaki survived the night in the outhouse despite the wolf's(?) efforts to open the door.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Are there versions of Werewolf/Mafia where the wolves can transform a human player to further complicate things?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Grammarchist posted:

Are there versions of Werewolf/Mafia where the wolves can transform a human player to further complicate things?

There's stuff like that, stuff where there are competing evil/neutral factions that can turn humans, stuff with evil humans that win with the wolves even though they aren't wolves themselves, other roles that are hostile to the humans for different reasons... pretty much anything you can imagine, somebody's made a role for it.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.

Bloody Emissary posted:

That makes Chiemi a strong contender for the spider, I think; it'd explain why Haruaki survived the night in the outhouse despite the wolf's(?) efforts to open the door.

...Now that you mention it, it's perhaps worth noting that he was technically still alive when they found him in that bad end. Barely, but the point is that he survived the night in spite of getting completely mauled.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Grammarchist posted:

Yes! They're generally considered to be among the most bastardish and unfun kinds of games to play (at least as Town.)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Godammit Takumi everyone knows you don't make Day 1 power role claims :cripes:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...Guys. It's not an actual game of Werewolf. It's just a motif. Danganronpa isn't actual about actual legal trials.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Junpei posted:

...Guys. It's not an actual game of Werewolf. It's just a motif. Danganronpa isn't actual about actual legal trials.
Are you saying... video games aren't real life?!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Bloody Emissary posted:

Okay, so...presumably anyone wandering around outside of their rooms is fair game for the wolves (in addition to their single free kill at night per standard Werewolf rules). There's no real reason for the "hole up in your rooms and pray" rule otherwise.

No, it sounds like the roles were all assigned the previous night, but they haven't had a chance to use their powers yet (They said Takumi couldn't have gotten info yet). I assume this includes the wolves because no one died in their bed, the two reporters (and Haruaki in the bad end) were outside at night breaking the rules. I think the thing wandering around outside was just some kind of rule-enforcer.

Speaking of Chiemi....

“But there’s something even worse.”

“Hm? What? Worse than bears?”

Snakes. Monkeys. Crows. Spiders.

Huh? Were they venomous or something…? I really doubted that. Those really didn’t seem worse than bears…

Also, wolves.

Why does she say the 4 guardian animals are dangerous here, even before mentioning wolves? I guess she could've actually been talking about the 4 head families who are each represented by an animal, but the wolf mention makes it seem like she's talking about the game.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 7, 2020

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
You actually sold me on this game, marathon(ed) it today (instead of actually being productive :P ) up until the point the game says for streamers to stop.
Would probably have given it a pass were it not for this LP thread

Arkanumzilong fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 7, 2020

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Junpei posted:

Without spoilers, the 'rules' of the game actually make it extremely close to a game of Werewolf.

As noted though, the difference is that in a traditional game of Werewolf, you'd consider it a 'town win' if you died but the town overall survived and so you might intentionally sacrifice yourself to prove a logical point. That's less likely to occur here.

I bought the game myself, so this LP can consider it a seller. I'm only up to 'day 3' myself.

As noted, despite the group's misgivings, the Follow the Cop strategy that was put forward - Cop reveals on day 1, Doctor protects the Cop, nobody is lynched without the Cop's say so - is actually optimal if the werewolves have no special powers, with the only strong counterstrategy in a 'normal' game being trying to convince the townsfolk that actually someone else is the Cop.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 8, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bewilderment posted:

As noted, despite the group's misgivings, the Follow the Cop strategy that was put forward - Cop reveals on day 1, Doctor protects the Cop, nobody is lynched without the Cop's say so - is actually optimal if the werewolves have no special powers, with the only strong counterstrategy in a 'normal' game being trying to convince the townsfolk that actually someone else is the Cop.

The way they explained the rules makes it sound like the Doctor can't protect the same person every night which is the common rule used to block the Follow The Cop strat

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Isn't it safe for the villagers to hang Haruaki? Chiemi may object, but what can she do against everyone else if they decide to do so?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Considering the previous end game I don't think they would have any problems.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
By not being invited to the feast, Haruaki doesn’t have a vote. Even if he is a wolf, it makes more sense to seek out the wolf who can vote before voting him out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If anything Haruaki's flavour is clearly setting him as a Solo Survivor so voting him out is just a waste of a day

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Update 12: See? You’re Weirded Out

“He’s actually sleeping...Was, anyways.”

“We’re done for today...Sorry for the wait.”

Good to hear...Ugh, ow.

Unfortunately, waking up proved that this whole mess wasn’t just a nightmare.

“So, is the ‘feast’ some sort of ritual? The kind you do to ward off evil or whatever?”

“No. It’s more of a gathering.”

“I see. So you try to find the culprit.”

“Haruaki-san, you don’t beat around the bush, do you?”

“Yeah. I realized I’m a real victim here, so I need information. It’s a tall order to stay alive without any.”

“*sigh*Takumi-niichan, can I tell him about this?”

“Yeah. Better you than me. I gotta go clean up and stuff.”

Takumi-san walked away.

“Clean up...the bodies, I assume?”

“Yeah. Tae-baachan probably won’t let us off until we’ve sent the yomibito to Saranaga.”

You’re supposed to preserve the scene of a crime, right? This is doing the exact opposite. Then again, it didn’t seem like anyone expected the cops to show up in the first place.

“Here’s my first question, then…”

“Let’s take this somewhere more private.”

BGM: Tragic Morning

Chiemi took me to the place where I’d met Rikako Uematsu and Meiko. It was a grass field with stones littered all over. It bordered Saranaga.

“You could say that this is the heart of our religion, the Graveyard of the Hanging Pine.”

“Now that’s a hell of a name.”

The place was filled with dense mist, but it was probably thinner than that in the rest of the settlement. The sunlight seemed brighter here. I could even see a bit farther. The “Hanging Pine” had to be the old-looking tree at the edge.

“Is this really a graveyard?”

“Yes. I don’t know about the ones in the actual settlement, but these stones here are all graves.”

“Remember how you tripped on one of ‘em? Pretty bad move, huh? Better apologize.”

Huh?! Seriously?! You should’ve told me sooner! Yasumizu’s ancestors, I’m so sorry!

“Ahahah. Sorry. I thought that’d scare you.”

“I know you didn’t really have a choice, but I brought you to a half-ruined village with monsters in it.”

I asked, ignoring what I’d seen for myself.

“Yeah. I do.”

Chiemi’s voice resounded through the impossibly thick, cloudy air.

“I didn’t think you were the type.”

“And you’re the type who’s weirded out by that.”

“Umm...I wouldn’t go that far.”

“Bullshit. I can see it all over your face.”

Was it that obvious? It wasn’t like I found it disgusting or anything, I just didn’t think I could get along with people who believed stuff like that despite a lack of actual proof. That was probably how it was.

“Can I have a reason?”

“What? I don’t have one.”

“Not sure I believe that.”

“Well, if I do…”

*Everything goes silent*

See? You’re weirded out.

“Tell me more.”

“Wow, not bailing out after all. For now, let’s just focus on the immediate issue.”

She was hiding something. It was either that hard to explain or a lot more important than she was acting.

“About this ‘feast’ thing, huh? All right then.”

Chiemi’s Explanation!

“Yaay! I’ve been waiting for this.”

A graveyard probably wasn’t the place to joke around like this, but at least you could see past your nose, and it didn’t seem like we had to worry about anyone eavesdropping.

BGM: Encroaching Supernatural

First, Fujiyoshi Village had a unique legend. There might’ve been similar ones somewhere outside, but I’d just treat it as Fujiyoshi-exclusive for the time being.

The people here worshiped a god called “Great Lord Shin’nai”, “The Avatar of Shin’nai”, or just “Shin’nai-san”. Also, the mountain this village was on was called “Mount Shin’nai”, meaning this religion deified a mountain.

However, just like nature could be really harsh, he had a scary side, too, and if you didn’t follow his “laws of the mountain”, he’d curse you without mercy. The Ookami-sama was the ultimate form of his cruelty. Though the Ookami-sama watched over the hunt, the Ookami-sama also oppressed, tortured, and punished humans.

The other guardians, though, were largely benevolent ones.

The snake predicted the weather and harvest yields, bolstering the humans’ prosperity.

The monkeys defied the wolves, secretly teaching the people of fire, along with other important bits of knowledge.

The crow pecked at and ate up the flesh of the yomibitio - the enemies of Shin’nai-san.

The spider warded off the yomibito and ensured that the humans slept and dreamt soundly.

The “yomibito” did, indeed, mean “people from Yomi” - as in, the land of the dead - but apparently, it wasn’t very clear what they actually were. But just as I’d suspected before, it was thought they had something to do with the corruption and death. The most likely idea was that they were the dead that had returned to bring harm to the people still alive.

At the start of the legend, Shin’nai-san, the animals and humans were facing the yomibito. Apparently, that was still how it was in Kamifujiyoshi - the leading part of Fujiyoshi. It was the basis of the teachings of Great Lord Shin’nai’s religion. Thanks to that, the five beasts - including the Ookami-sama - and Shin’nai-san were still worshiped there.

In Yasumizu, however, things were a bit different.

With the destruction of their cruel rule, the human village experienced great growth. That had been when the four head families - who were said to have the blood of the four guardians in their veins - were formed. The snake was Miguruma, the monkeys were Higuchi, the crow was Nosato, and the spider was Uematsu.

However, it didn’t end there. The Ookami-sama joined the yomibito side and became a sinister creature that wanted to bring harm to humans. The Saranaga Rapids were yomibito territory, and the Ookami-sama appeared from there whenever the evening mists came. The Ookami-sama would then kill an inhabitant, take on their form, and act like them. But at night, they would show their true self and brutalize the real inhabitants.

That was why the people of Yasumizu, who lived next to the Saranaga Rapids, had to stop them. For that, Great Lord Shin’nai created an event called the “Feast of the Yomi-Purge”. Despite the name, it was no banquet, but a ritual to kill the wolf.

You had to basically kill your own people - something that was taboo for ages...But it was permitted here in order to rid the group of the wolf. Some humans were also given the powers of the guardians - snake, monkeys, crow, and spider. It was like a banquet of betrayal. They all drank some sake and chose someone to kill.

“I see…”

It was a lot to unpack, but I got the gist of it. Basically, the humans betrayed the Ookami-sama - one of their guardian divinities - and were still paying the price. But…

There were some points I didn’t really get.

“I won’t tell this to anyone else but you, but I’m pretty sure I saw the Ookami-sama.”

No way...Where?

“Umm, I just took a peek through a space in the outhouse door, so I didn’t get a good look.”

I couldn’t tell her that I’d had a realistic dream where I was killed.

“It had a human body and the head of a wolf...I think.”

“No way…”

“Uhh, can I take that as ‘he seriously saw it?’”

Hmm…

“Before I saw it, though, I heard a woman’s scream, so I figured that thing killed Mamiya-san. Was that the ‘brutalization’ you told me about? I mean, if it ‘killed and replaced’ here, you wouldn’t have her body, right?”

“Sorry, I forgot to tell you something. Shin’nai-san is very strict with his laws, and gives various punishments to those who break them.”

“You mentioned something like that.”

“Umm, basically…”

“They broke the rule of preparing for the feast by bathing, locking up in a room all by yourself, and sleeping. That’s why it’s believed they died to the corruption.”

I couldn’t see how you could get such mutilated corpses from something called the “corruption”, but there was something more important.

Basically, you didn’t tell me about the laws and turned me into toilet-man so I could die, huh?

No no no no!

“Listen, I honestly thought there was no way an outside could survive. But I wanted to at least find a way that gave you a shot at making it through the night…’cause I didn’t want to let you die...”

“And look at that, I actually survived.”

“Yeah...Sorry, but I really didn’t expect this.”

“Shame I didn’t get splosh sploshed, huh?”

“Don’t be like that. I’m actually really glad you didn’t die.”

I wasn’t sure how to feel about this, but hey, at least she tried, right?

“Hmm...So that scream really was Mamiya-san’s, huh? Or was it someone who got brutalized?”

“No...I’m not really sure.”

“Well, it’s possible. But I know full well I’m no wolf, and that’s what I’m gonna say.”

“Just like everyone else, huh?”

“Fair point…”

Now this was a predicament.

“Question one.”

“Ask away.”

“Are those marks the only proof that there are two wolves?”

I recalled the strange symbols on the large rock - the two warped diamonds with spirals inside.

“Yeah, that mark represents the Ookami-sama returning from Yomi, so since there are two marks, it stands to reason there are two wolves.”

“So it’s speculation.”

“Not much reason to question it, though...We have these annual mountain festivals, and there’s always a guardian costume parade. The number of wolves in the parade is announced in a similar way.”

Hm?

“So it’s normal for there to be multiple wolves, huh?”

“Yeah. In Shin’nai-sama’s shrine, for example, you have three wolf statues. For the festival, the Miguruma divine the number of wolves or something, and then record that number overnight.”

“By leaving those marks on the stones, huh?”

“No. Kamifujiyoshi doesn’t have okiba - those stones, I mean - so they apparently draw them on the shrine grounds.”

“‘Apparently’?”

“The people of Yasumizu are taught to wait for the guardians in Yasumizu, so I never saw the marks myself.”

“Hmm...So one of those marks in Kamifujiyoshi means one wolf in the parade?”

“Not exactly. The wolf’s sign in Kamifujiyoshi isn’t as warped, for one. The mark with the spiral is only a sign of the wolves that came back from Yomi. It’s a Yasumizu thing, so they don’t have it there.”

“I see. But still, the number of wolves and marks match up.”

“Yep. A three-wolf festival is considered good luck there.”

Chiemi herself didn’t look the least bit happy to talk about it. Anyway, all I had to take from this was that there were at most three wolves.

I wasn’t too well-versed in myths and folklore, but I certainly hadn’t heard of any Japanese myth about werewolves or wolf-men. I did hear of jinmenken and of possession by fox spirits, but werewolves did seem like a very...European thing.

On the other hand, the fact there were three of them seemed pretty standard. I guessed it had something to do with presentation. Trinities and all that. Though, the idea of three werewolves did seem a bit...excessive in terms of content.

Anyway, I now had a better grasp of the situation. That made it easier to understand what was going on here.

“There are two monkeys, but only one of the rest.”

“I see...So there are five guardians and two wolves, and the rest are humans.”

“It’s pretty bad that there’s two wolves.”

“‘Cause that makes them strong?”

“That’s one reason, but you can only kill one per day, right? If there’s multiple, getting them all will take more time.”

“Oh yeah...I just realized, the crow would be kind of pointless if there was only one wolf.”

“Why?”

“The crow’s ability lets them tell whether the corpse is a wolf or human, right? That means that a wolf doesn’t transform back into a wolf even when it dies. The corpse stays human. That makes the crow’s power useful. You wouldn’t be able to tell if a wolf was dead otherwise.”

“Yeah, that’s true. But what does that have to do with the number of wolves?”

“Imagine if there was only one wolf. They killed him. What happens next?”

“U-Umm...I got nothin’.

“Exactly that, ‘nothing’. Or, rather, the wolves won’t kill any more people. Game Over. Humans win.”

“Oh...I see. So if there was only one wolf, you could tell it was dead because the killing would stop...And the crow would be pointless.”

“Exactly.”

“Wow, you’re sharp.”

“Well, it’s not like this information is very useful.”

“What else could I be?”

“A detective?’

“I like that. I’m a famous detective who came to solve a difficult case in the countryside. Seishi Yokomizo’s world.”

“And you normally investigate affairs and debts.”

“Wow, that got real quick...Anyway, I got more questions.”

“How many people can the wolves kill per day? It’d suck if everyone got killed overnight.”

“That won’t happen. Remember the snake? They need to ask the mountain who’s what.”

“True. And the spider would be pretty useless if they just protected one human while everyone else including them died. This is also why I wondered if Mamiya-san and Hashimoto-san got ‘brutalized’.”

“Killing even two peoplel would make it pretty bad. But if it was just one per day, or…”

“Well, that raises another question. Why do these supernatural monsters even need to follow rules like that?”

“Is that weird?”

“Of course it is. Imagine if there were three. One corpse would barely serve as a snack.”

“Uhh...I don’t think they’re attacking people because they’re hungry.”

“Oh, so they’re just out for revenge?”

“Not really sure, but it doesn’t seem like they’re doing this because they want to. I feel they have their own laws they have to obey.”

That was what bothered me so much. The Feast of the Yomi-Purge had rules, and breaking them would mean being taken by the “corruption” - some sort of supernatural punishment from Shin’nai-san. If this was really just divine retribution, surely he would want the yomibition done away with immediately.

However, instead, the humans retained the aid of their guardians, and only one kill was permitted each day. Even the wolves couldn’t break that rule. Were the laws of the mountain equally binding to both man and wolf? In Christian theology, buth human and Satan were God’s creations, equal before him and all acting based on his master plan. Was the god of the mountain similarly inclined?

A legend of slain wolves and their revenge...Was it really that simple? Or was there something else going on?

“True…”

“But...is someone really gonna die again tonight?”

“We already got two casualties. And for all we know, those the wolves replaced might be dead, too…”

“Hold on. They’re cleaning up the bodies, right? We gotta check them properly. To see if there aren’t more than two bodies or anything.”

“Kanzo-jiichan checked it first thing in the morning. There were only two people’s worth of bone and guts.”

“Huh? Really? Does he have experience doing this kind of thing?”

“He’s a hunter, so he’s used to butchering animals.”

Well, that made sense.

“That reminds me. This is probably the most important thing. Why aren’t you trying to run away and call the police?”

*Everything goes silent*

“I want a straight answer to this. I honestly can’t think of a better move in this situation.”

I was aware the people here were superstitious, but those superstitions are getting people killed. So why was not a single person objecting?

BGM: Creeping Despair

“We can’t escape this place.”

“Can I ask why?”

“It’s complicated, but we all know it’s true. There is no way to escape this place. The mist is completely impassable. I’m not going to waste time on something I know can’t be done.”

“Have you seen it yourself or are you just trusting what someone else said?”

“Sorry, I can’t really explain how, but I just know.”

“Once the feast begins, no one can leave Yasumizu.”

So it wasn’t logic, but blind conviction. Or perhaps she’d subconsciously gained that knowledge through some experience.

Yeah, as if.

“So you have no proof, but still believe you can’t escape.”

“Yep. Everyone else would probably say the same.”

“What are the odds that your blind faith is in something that’s total bullshit?”

“Well, higher than zero…”

“What if I said that I, as someone overlooked by the god of the mountain, would try to leave anyway?”

“I’d do everything I could to stop you. Even if the others allow it, it’s because they don’t care if you die.”

That was pretty scary.

“So you’re worried about me?”

“More than anyone else here!”

“Thanks. I can just feel the love.”

*Everything goes silent*

Love?!

She was going all red on me now. This seems to be taking it pretty far for an act.

BGM: Safety Zone

“Uhh, no. I just have a conscience.”

“The others here don’t, then?”

“Well, you should know that they’re way colder to outsiders than they appear. I’m kind of an outsider myself, so I can relate to your situation.”

“You’d go on a road trip with someone just based on that?”

“Huh? You only agreed ‘cause you felt sorry for me? Don’t think you can get out of your promise that easily.”

“W-Wow, how do I respond to that? Oh, but wait, your bike’s broken.”

“If it’s for a date, I’ll take out a loan on a new one.”

“A-A date? I-I guess it is! But wait, you’ll take out a loan while you’re still in school?!”

“Besides, don’t promises like that usually end up with someone dying? Let’s worry about that after we survive!”

poo poo. First she was all over me, and now she was playing hard to get. In normal circumstances, that could be kind of fun, but right now she was the only one I could rely on. The emotional support would’ve been nice.

“Back to the whole police thing...Really, you can’t expect much from them here.”

“Because it’s supernatural?”

“Well, that’s one reason, but we also have just one officer in Kamifujiyoshi. And Kamifujiyoshi wants nothing to do with what happens here in Yasumizu.”

*Everything goes silent*

“You know, I’ve been thinking…”

“Spot on.”

I hadn’t even said anything yet.

She really did guess what I was gonna say. Ostracism. In ancient times, villages often punished criminals and the like by ostracizing them. They were ignored and excluded from all social welfare aid. Basically, people were excluded from the larger group and treated coldly. It was one step away from banishment.

It wasn’t just emotional torment, either. Back in those days, not getting the help of other people was a matter of life and death, making this quite a harsh punishment.

“Did you all do something?”

“Most of us did nothing. The Makishima, Yamawaki, and Muro families have been here for generations.”

“Can you keep a secret?”

“Sure.”

“Kaori Oribe-san was originally an outsider who married into the Higuchi family, but her husband messed up somewhere down the line and died. I heard she was forced to move here with Yasu-kun, who was still very little.”

“...”

Well, that wasn’t a pleasant story. I had heard ostracism still survived even in this day and age. Some rural groups would brazenly cut off your gas or water supplies if you didn’t fit in. Then again, neighbors in cities had their own communication problems. Basically, humans really hadn’t changed much over the years.

Still, ostracism because of family troubles? In this day and age? It seemed so weird, ugly, and behind the times.

“Then there’s Mocchi. He was the Nosato family’s heir apparent. Guy’s an actual blue blood.”

“Huh? Really?”

“Yeah. He and Kiyonosuke-san are uncle and nephew.”

They were nothing alike.

“Mocchi’s a bit weird, though, so he was put up for adoption and sent to Yasumizu.”

Oh yeah, Kiyonosuke-shi had said something like that. Sheesh, what century did they think it was?

“What about you?”

“Hahah, I did an oopsie.”

“Did you use to be a bit wild?”

“Hm. Uhh, you don’t like that?”

“Nope, I’m actually into that.”

“Wow, you really go all-in, don’t you?”

With her pulling hit-and-runs, I really had no choice.

I couldn’t expect any outside help. And everyone here believed they couldn’t escape this place due to supernatural reasons.

Another choice. As before, you may pick whichever option you like, as long as you justify it in some way, however serious or not it may be. The total will include both votes from SA and LPBeach, should there be any.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 9, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

bewilderment posted:

Without spoilers, the 'rules' of the game actually make it extremely close to a game of Werewolf.

As noted though, the difference is that in a traditional game of Werewolf, you'd consider it a 'town win' if you died but the town overall survived and so you might intentionally sacrifice yourself to prove a logical point. That's less likely to occur here.

I bought the game myself, so this LP can consider it a seller. I'm only up to 'day 3' myself.

What I meant by that post was that this isn't just about who's a wolf and who's not. There's, you know, other mysteries. Like Haruaki's evasive past, and any hidden family drama, and actual plot stuff.

Ehh, in this kind of story, leaving (or trying to leave) = death. But dying could get us a Key!

Let's try and Leave.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Id it’s for a date, I’ll take out a loan on a new one.”

“Back to the whole police thing...Really, you can’t escape much from them here.”

Typos (I assume it's supposed to be "expect").

We've already broken the bathing/sleeping rules, so I guess we can just Leave.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, it's time to :frogout:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just binged this game in three days, so I have played RL already. Don't take anything I say as serious speculation (or spoilers-hidden-as-speculation, that's the worst kind of bullshit.) I'm just gonna be shitposting, and voting in ways that seem interesting at the time.

Leave. Sticking around is just asking to be a character in some slasher flick.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

People have said it already but we've been directly told that leaving means death, therefore leave since it will give us another bad ending and maybe a new key.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Leaving is a good way to gather information about the "corruption." It's probably just that weird -->thoughts--> thing that happened when we ran into Meiko and Rikako at the graveyard, though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I vote to stay because it's what I didn't do the first time through.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Time to get the gently caress outta here

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

whitehelm posted:

Speaking of Chiemi....

Why does she say the 4 guardian animals are dangerous here, even before mentioning wolves? I guess she could've actually been talking about the 4 head families who are each represented by an animal, but the wolf mention makes it seem like she's talking about the game.

And this update we see why - the wolves are also a type of guardian. Or were. So she could still be talking about Kamifujiyoshi, where the wolves are still worshipped.

Or she might have known about the Feast.

Rarity posted:

The way they explained the rules makes it sound like the Doctor can't protect the same person every night which is the common rule used to block the Follow The Cop strat

I think that just means that the spider's protection elapses after one night, not that they can only pick that person once.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Leave.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:byewhore:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Update 13: You Could Easily Walk Around It, Holy poo poo

An overwhelming majority of you want to try to leave, even knowing it would likely end poorly.

Being left out of the feast hardly guaranteed my safety. I couldn’t expect anyone to lead me out, but dropping dead in the middle of nowhere seemed better than getting eaten alive here.

After making my decision, I wrapped up my conversation with Chiemi, and we returned to her room.

I didn’t want to go any deeper into this than I already was, so I didn’t ask.

During lunch, Chiemi went to the bathroom. That was my chance. I took out a notepad, quickly wrote “sorry, I’m leaving” on it, took my stuff, and left the room.

The road was unpaved and sided by two giant boulders reminiscent of a torii without a top. I could see why everyone was afraid to go beyond this point. The humid mountain forest looked both gloomy and scary. But walking further seemed far less risky than staying in this settlement.

I walked ahead.

The road was ruined. A car would’ve been useless here. So this was why Mamiya-san and Hashimoto-san couldn’t leave yesterday and had to spend the night in the van.

However, I wasn’t exactly heavy, so getting past this was easy. I had no idea why obstacles like this were enough to hold back video game characters. You could easily walk around it, holy poo poo. Though, they could have it worse. There was that one game where there was both an obstacle and an impassible, cliff-like mist.

Most of the ground here was covered in dead leaves, ferns, and moss, making it really slippery. I supported myself by holding on to nearby saplings, but I ended up breaking a few branches. This mountain seemed completely untouched. Fujiyoshi’s people clearly didn’t do any forestry.

*Everything goes silent*

Climbing up was impossible.

But…

Logic told me that I’d be closer to Kamifujiyoshi the higher I got.

Seriously, what was up with this mist? I couldn’t see anything ahead of or behind me. I felt like I was swimming through rice water. Or perhaps milk jelly...It seemed like it was heavier than air and too dense to breathe in. I felt like it would congeal around me the moment I stopped moving…

What was I thinking? This was reality, and this was just a mist…

And kept walking…

I had to constantly remind myself that this was just a mist and this was nothing but reality.

Not really much in the way of useful information or any keys in this ending. Hint Corner will go up in a couple hours. Next update after that will see us back in Yasumizu, armed with the knowledge that escape may not be as simple as it may appear at first glance. Until then, I suggest discussing the possible implications of this ending, as well as the conversation with Chiemi, which contains many relevant bits of info that you’ve avoided discussing while distracted by the choice...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So he is now cursed to wonder through the mist forever, never finding his northwestern passage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Hint Corner: Mysterious Death in the Forest

Let’s get the hint out of the way and move right on to the next one.

“Bad Ending/04: ‘Mysterious Death in the Forest’. Just like the ‘rules’ say, it seems you can’t flee Yasumizu. I don’t know why that is, but you probably wouldn’t have believed it for yourself unless you tried it once, would you?”

“If you wanna go forward, just go back to ‘3. Yomi: Q. Leave Yasumizu?’ and pick the other choice.”

Well, that’s enough for this time! Die another hearty death next time!

This one is a lot shorter than I remembered.