Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Fraser or something descriptive like tree-filled coast or west-facing land or everyone smokes weed here in a First Nations language is all I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

S'nice.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Obviously British Columbia is not a great name as it's related to one of the worst colonizers with a long list of egregious actions against the indigenous population of the western hemisphere. Therefore, I propose we change the name to Northern Columbia.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Femtosecond posted:

What you'd rename the province to however I have no good idea.

Tell Alberta to gently caress off by calling it True West.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Cascadia. Washington and Oregon had their chance to be the OG. :colbert:

The flag should be a vexillologically-fixed version of the Doug Flag. Something like this one except expand middle part so it has more of a Canadian pale and further simplify the tree. Or lose the tree and go with something more locally specific like a simple version of the the Haida art as seen in the Haida flag or perhaps an outline of a totem pole in a style similar to the flag of Nunavut.

And it would thematically match the existing flag of neighbouring Yukon:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jehde posted:

I don't have any good candidates for what the region now commonly known as British Columbia should be called though. All I can think of are lame things like Pacifica.

My idea would be to ask the remaining local natives how the area was called in their language before colonization, and then choose the best-sounding name from the list you get.

Wikipedia posted:

British Columbia, before the arrival of the Europeans, was home to many Indigenous peoples speaking more than 30 different languages, including Babine-Witsuwit'en, Danezaa (Beaver), Carrier, Chilcotin, Cree, Dene language, Gitxsan, Haida, Haisla, Halkomelem, Kaska, Kutenai, Kwak̓wala, Lillooet, Nisga'a, Nuu-chah-nulth, Nuxalk, SENCOTEN, Sekani, Shuswap, Sinixt, Squamish, Tagish, Tahltan, Thompson, Tlingit, Tsetsaut, and Tsimshian. There was frequent contact between bands and voyages across the Strait of Georgia and the Strait of Juan de Fuca were common.

There should still be plenty of choices available.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chicken posted:

Obviously British Columbia is not a great name as it's related to one of the worst colonizers with a long list of egregious actions against the indigenous population of the western hemisphere. Therefore, I propose we change the name to Northern Columbia.

I legit didn't know why that goon wanted the name changed

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

edit: double post

Kreez fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 27, 2020

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

My idea would be to ask the remaining local natives how the area was called in their language before colonization, and then choose the best-sounding name from the list you get.

My understanding is that it's unlikely there would be much to choose from as far as words in native languages that describe anything close to the area made up by the current boundaries of BC. You have names for the lands of a particular nation (see: Haida Gwaii), which make no sense to use for a broader state as they already mean something geographically (and increasingly politically). You have words that describe "the land" in general, but they would be generally meant to refer to the whole of the land/world/existence, and would be entirely inappropriate to use for a political state.

You get something similar in regards to using indigenous imagery on a flag. There's no art/vexillological tradition that comes anywhere near encompassing the whole of the current area in BC. Nunavut is a unique case of being mostly nationally homogeneous and so it makes sense there.

And this ignores that even if we could agree on a name and imagery, is it appropriate for a white settler state to plaster indigenous imagery all over itself? I've never met an indigenous person who would be in favour of it (though many wouldn't give a poo poo) but I'll admit that
the conversations I've had on the subject with friends and co-workers would never be considered scholarly or authoritative.

Banana Canada posted:

The Cascades barely reach into BC, so that might be a bit of a stretch. The flag would work though, just replace the douglas fir with a western red cedar.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 27, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The march of time has erased the true name of Bolshaya Gora.

Banana Canada posted:

The reason why Washington is a seperate state from Oregon is because Oregon maintained black exclusion laws to establish itself as an all-white zone, and Washington is where the black pioneers trying to live on the frontier wound up.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's been interesting watching these extremely non-indigenous countries discuss Columbus. Maybe slightly ironic too, but I get it.

What about the actual country of Colombia, do they have a movement like that?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The march of time has erased the true name of Bolshaya Gora.

The reason why Washington is a seperate state from Oregon is because Oregon maintained black exclusion laws to establish itself as an all-white zone, and Washington is where the black pioneers trying to live on the frontier wound up.

Three states on the west coast is already ridiculous. I can't believe there was ever a possibility it might be two.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The weird thing about all these things named after Columbus is that Columbus never went to any of those places. I think it was mostly generally just celebrating the general fact that the new world was discovered and that Europeans could go there to explore and settle with no thought to the specifics of the long-dead Italian man. I haven't seen anything named after him that's less than 300 years after his death, and the use of his name for generic new-world symbolism gets a little weird.

And sure, you can say that aside from Columbus's individual crimes, the more general discovery of the Americas by Europe led to horrible things, and it might've been better if it never happened, but one way or another, everything in the Americas today, literally every government, owes its existence to European colonization, and it's a whole lot to ask people to not be proud of, and even be ashamed of their general existence.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Banana Canada posted:

The flag should be a vexillologically-fixed version of the Doug Flag. Something like this one except expand middle part so it has more of a Canadian pale and further simplify the tree. Or lose the tree and go with something more locally specific like a simple version of the the Haida art as seen in the Haida flag or perhaps an outline of a totem pole in a style similar to the flag of Nunavut.

And it would thematically match the existing flag of neighbouring Yukon:

Unfortunately this orientation of the Cascadian tricolour was co-opted by white nationalists. Not that it cannot be used at all, just gotta use caution to avoid normalizing white supremacy elements in Cascadian movements.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Brace for some new possible flags for Mississippi

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1276888075776507905

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Can't believe Mississippi has the Stennis flag which is adequate if bland and uninspired (Red white and blue color scheme and 20 stars for being the 20th state? It's completely generic and baby's first flag redesign but whatever its not racist and it follows the flag rules). But definitely seems to be the most popular replacement choice among the public because people love lovely flags.

This flag which is actually cool and unique and represents both Magnolias and the Mississippi river.

There's other flags I found with this general layout but cleaned up a bit like this one on reddit which includes a design statement and a version with 20 stars because I guess people in Mississippi know that they're the 20th state by heart?

And the Republicans who run the state are coalescing around this bullshit because they're just addicted to bad flags and signaling how conservative and christian they are.

https://twitter.com/PhilBryantMS/status/1276167725434494981

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

BonHair posted:

Minor nitpick, but the native acronym would be Latinised as SSSR, the "CCCP" is just lazily ignoring that Cyrillic is a different alphabet. I've never seen SSSR used though.

Maybe not in English-speaking countries, but "SSSR" was definitely used in Norway, back in the day. (Course, you can construct a plausible translation of the full name into Norwegian which also yields the acronym SSSR.)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Mississippians should be bold and adopt this flag:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This would be a good forumswide contest, actually.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How bout some more state flags.

Nevada: The anti-Overwatch state.

Iowa couldn't really think of anything, so it just went with the fact that it was part of the Louisiana Purchase, so it just stole the french flag. The design they put on top of it is pretty good, but it's kinda fiddly detail that'd be hard to duplicate, and it's hard to read text on flags anyways.

Oklahoma's flag has the right idea to honor the natives, but it's so weirdly photorealistic. I feel like I'm looking at a 90s comic from the detail and the irregular shades of colors.

Too much detail isn't good for flags. The choctaw flag that the Oklahoma flag drew some inspiration from knew to keep things simple.

And of course Oklahoma's first flag was terrible, but the only reason they got rid of it because of the red scare and they were worried about the association with communism, which is dumb.

The flag of Indiana has a lot of spirit, although it doesn't really seem like it denotes much about Indiana, and really one of the worst trends that the US flag inspired was the idea of forming a constellation from some large amount of stars that's a pain to remember.

But the Ohio flag I really love. It's really cool when a flag is an irregular shape, and even though the rest of the iconography is just borrowed from the US flag, it manages to look unique. The single non-derivative feature is recognizable, but it's just an O for Ohio. It's the best US flag remix.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Why do so many bad flags with text use the same loving font

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You wanna trust in God, do ya?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

This would be a good forumswide contest, actually.

That sounds like an idea which is going to backfire horribly but gently caress it. Posting in GBS now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930381

Make sure to contribute!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Jehde posted:

I don't have any good candidates for what the region now commonly known as British Columbia should be called though. All I can think of are lame things like Pacifica.

It would be a huge pain in the rear end to change the acronym, so it should stay as BC.

Bountiful Coast?

I think that pretty much nails it.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Australian Aboriginal Flag

I think it is a good flag as far as flags go.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

lilbeefer posted:

Australian Aboriginal Flag

I think it is a good flag as far as flags go.

Where we're going, we don't need flags to see.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Can't believe Mississippi has the Stennis flag which is adequate if bland and uninspired (Red white and blue color scheme and 20 stars for being the 20th state? It's completely generic and baby's first flag redesign but whatever its not racist and it follows the flag rules). But definitely seems to be the most popular replacement choice among the public because people love lovely flags.

Back when Mississippi seceded from the Union, it declared itself an independent republic, and as one it needed a flag. This was what the secession committee settled on:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That sounds like an idea which is going to backfire horribly but gently caress it. Posting in GBS now.

Make sure to contribute!

Thank you- beat me to the punch!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Back when Mississippi seceded from the Union, it declared itself an independent republic, and as one it needed a flag. This was what the secession committee settled on:

Ironically, adhering to the Liberia school of flags

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Make sure to contribute!

I'd never gone to GBS before and I see now that was a wise decision.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Looks like the Mississippi state flag is really going to be changed.

What's going to happen is that when the Governor signs the bill, Mississippi will cease to have any official flag.

After that a commission will come up with a new flag, which will be voted on by the people at the next election.

If the people vote down the choice of the commission, they'll go back and figure out another one, and present that one for voter approval at the next election.

This could go on for years!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sicily is good.

Also tricolors and nordic crosses suck and are boring. But I'll more or less forgive the originals, France, Denmark, etc. Also I like the pan-Arab tricolors, especially the ones that are closest to the revolt flag with the triangle on the left.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 29, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Looks like the Mississippi state flag is really going to be changed.

What's going to happen is that when the Governor signs the bill, Mississippi will cease to have any official flag.

After that a commission will come up with a new flag, which will be voted on by the people at the next election.

If the people vote down the choice of the commission, they'll go back and figure out another one, and present that one for voter approval at the next election.

This could go on for years!

It also has to include the words In God We Trust on it in lettering so theres zero chance of having a vexillogicaly appropiate flag

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Sicily is good.

Also tricolors and nordic crosses suck and are boring. But I'll more or less forgive the originals, France, Denmark, etc. Also I like the pan-Arab tricolors, especially the ones that are closest to the revolt flag with the triangle on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHDsTbMcm_k

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bottom right is so good.

Does the law legit state it has to say "in god we trust" because fuckkkk

Phlegmish posted:

It's been interesting watching these extremely non-indigenous countries discuss Columbus. Maybe slightly ironic too, but I get it.

What about the actual country of Colombia, do they have a movement like that?

Colombia in spanish and Columbia in english aren't actually related. Well they are, but you know what I mean, they were invented independently. "Colombia" was invented by Francisco de Miranda, a sort of proto-Bolivar and the first famous spanish-american separatist. 1750-1816, so he ended up too old and out-of-touch to be a "founding father" when the revolutions actually happened, but he was a huge influence. He coined it to specifically refer to the spanish-speaking Americas as opposed to the rest. I don't know what modern colombians think of it but it's rather more tied to their national story than "Columbia" for anglos.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 30, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Bottom right is so good.

Who said the writing has to be ugly, though? Here is a proposal where the phrase is turned into an elegant graphical element.

It was either that or using Wingdings, but the latter is more for the GBS thread I think.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Who said the writing has to be ugly, though? Here is a proposal where the phrase is turned into an elegant graphical element.

It was either that or using Wingdings, but the latter is more for the GBS thread I think.

Seems like a better flag for Middle-earth

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Bottom right is so good.

Yes they don't want satanists to take over

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Well then, close your eyes, since here come a few more proposed Flags of Earth! All of these are pretty obscure, but they've gotten at least some usage in the real world (with the possible exception of the fourth one).

It's supposed to be the seven continents all interlinked, but to me it just looks like a tangled clusterfuck.

e: Angepain :argh:
I don't think that these variants are that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Bottom right is so good.

Colombia in spanish and Columbia in english aren't actually related. Well they are, but you know what I mean, they were invented independently. "Colombia" was invented by Francisco de Miranda, a sort of proto-Bolivar and the first famous spanish-american separatist. 1750-1816, so he ended up too old and out-of-touch to be a "founding father" when the revolutions actually happened, but he was a huge influence. He coined it to specifically refer to the spanish-speaking Americas as opposed to the rest. I don't know what modern colombians think of it but it's rather more tied to their national story than "Columbia" for anglos.

It's naming something after Columbus as a generic reference to the New World with no real consideration to the man who had been dead for around 300 years at that point, at around the same time that Columbus, Ohio was founded and named for similar reasons. At least British Columbia is actually named after a river (which itself was named after a boat).

I do think the wavy line for the river on the flag is a good idea. Let's see the Mississippi in other flags.

St. Paul's flag is pretty distinct, even if it does cram too many symbols in there. I do wonder whether most flags of smaller entities like cities often have the problem of nobody knowing the flag of where they are, so even if it makes for a bad visual up on a pole, it might make things faster if the flag just labeled itself for convenience so people know what it's celebrating.

Memphis also is fairly distinct and simple, even with the dumb seal in there. Interestingly, the Mississippi here is represented by the slant of the white section over to the side, because the Mississippi is at an angle on Memphis.

I think Memphis and St. Paul could both be quickly stripped down to their essential elements if they really needed quick and easy symbolism. That's something you can't say about Illinois's garbage, garbage flag.

I don't know if that water is supposed to be the Mississippi, but it easily could be. The upside-down text was certainly...a decision.

But the best flag with the Mississippi is this one:

I think it's a good enough flag that you could probably figure out what place it is just with some knowledge of the area.