Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Flag of the Ukrainian Free Territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

My Russian/Ukrainian is pretty lovely but, um, that top word means '(TO) DIE' I think?

Not that the big gently caress-off skull didn't tip anyone off, probably

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Death to anyone who threatens the freedom of working people, or something along those lines I think.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guavanaut posted:

Death to anyone who threatens the freedom of working people, or something along those lines I think.

Yeah basically if my bad russian helps read ukrainian at all.

Although honestly it works better as a design if there's just a big DEATH up top imo

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie

The flag of Wales, love it or hate it.

The flag of Lovely, a micronation declared as a stunt for the 2005 BBC series "How To Start Your Own Country."

Barbados. The former colonial flag featured Britannia holding Neptune's trident. The broken-off trident head therefore represents freedom from colonial rule.

The US state of Georgia, 2001-2003. The result of a compromise between the Democratic governor and Republican legislators who wanted to keep the confederate flag in some form.

Hamilton County, Ohio. Big energy. I think if the color scheme and proportions were cleaned up it could be pretty good.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

QCIC posted:

Hamilton County, Ohio. Big energy. I think if the color scheme and proportions were cleaned up it could be pretty good.

Yeah, all that really needs is for the teal to be replaced with either yellow or blue

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Barbelith posted:

Coat of Arms chat!

This is the Coat of Arms of my home state, Styria in Austria. It was first used by Otakar III of Steyr, who took it up in 1160.

It was described in 1790 as "ein rechts sehendes aufrechtes silbernes sogenanntes Pantherthier mit aufwärts geschlungenem Schwanze, aus dessen Rachen und allen Öfnungen des Körpers Feuerflammen gehen, im grünen Felde wegen des Herzogthums Steyermarkt", or "an upright standing, silver Panther-animal looking right, with upwards curled tail, from whose throat and all orifices of the body fiery flames are licking, in a green field because of the Duchy of Styria".

From all orifices you say? In 1926 the original Coat was changed to only spew fire from the mouth, where it has before spewn fire from the mouth, ears, rear end and penis. This change was instigated by a member of the Styrian state assembly for reasons of obscenity.

But luckily fiery rear end and dick panther is preserved to this day in the Coat of Arms of the Styrian capital Graz:

Holy poo poo lmao

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh, I get it. BARB-ados.

Should've been a bident.

QCIC posted:

The US state of Georgia, 2001-2003. The result of a compromise between the Democratic governor and Republican legislators who wanted to keep the confederate flag in some form.

You can't say that story without saying what flag it led to today.

Oh whoops, mixed something up there. This one.

Which if you don't see something wrong with because that's not the racist flag that everybody knows about, well it turns out the confederacy was an absolute joke of a country, a pathetic farce. Not actually a sovereign state in any meaningful way, and the flag that they officially adopted was this.

Great idea, borrowing an actual american flag's iconography to have 13 stars for the 13 original colonies, only 6 of which actually consented to secession.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Which if you don't see something wrong with because that's not the racist flag that everybody knows about, well it turns out the confederacy was an absolute joke of a country, a pathetic farce. Not actually a sovereign state in any meaningful way, and the flag that they officially adopted was this.

Great idea, borrowing an actual american flag's iconography to have 13 stars for the 13 original colonies, only 6 of which actually consented to secession.

It gets better. Solders complained that the first flag of the CSA looked too much like the flag of the USA and made things confusing on the battlefield, so in 1863 the CSA changed their flag to "The Stainless Banner"

However that looked too much like a white flag of surrender, so in 1865 the flag was changed again to "The Blood-Stained Banner"

It can't be a good sign when your prospective country changes flags 3 times in five years.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My God, go back to the original one. Those two look like someone copy-pasted an actual flag into MS Paint.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was basically The Point, a "we're the REAL Americans" thing, plus the Confederacy did admit 13 states.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

QCIC posted:

The flag of Lovely, a micronation declared as a stunt for the 2005 BBC series "How To Start Your Own Country."

I like this unironically. This looks like some 1920s Bauhaus art.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
The town of Härnösand in northern Sweden has a coat of arms consisting of a beaver with a pike in its mouth.

Nowadays looks like this

Original sigil when the town got city privileges in the 16th century

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Interesting they would put a beaver on their sigil when they had apparently never seen one before.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The pre-1924 flag of the sultanate of Kelantan was pretty neat even if it violated the no text on flags rule.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Calligraphy like that seems like it should be allowed on some flags. It's kind of messy, but cool. Just don't put it on anything anyone has to draw.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Also it's not like those "rules" are anything more than guidelines dreamed up by people because they thought they made sense. Flags are an art, and art breaks rules all the time.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Also it's not like those "rules" are anything more than guidelines dreamed up by people because they thought they made sense. Flags are an art, and art breaks rules all the time.

True, but most art is lovely, ergo most flags are lovely, and to break the rules in an interesting fashion, you've got to know them first. Art brut is rarely more than merely interesting.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Indonesia/Malaysia looks like an alternative history Stany Zjednoczone Ameryki.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Vietnam/Philippines is sexy

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Where does the Indonesian pentagon come from since it's not in Indonesia's actual flag design? I suppose it's to represent the pencasila but IRL this is represented by a coat of arms without any pentagon in it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vietnam/Philippines is sexy

A Communist Philippine flag would be super sexy as would a Communist (not connected to PRC) Philippines.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is sweet.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Is this a series? If so, can you post the rest, I don't feel like trawling through miles of Instagram trash :(

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Is this a series? If so, can you post the rest, I don't feel like trawling through miles of Instagram trash :(

Europe is just every conceivable tricoleur with a rainbow of union jacks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
:911: :canada:

various combinations of union jacks, seals, and coats of arms on a navy blue or red background. sometimes, a boob.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:911: :canada:

various combinations of union jacks, seals, and coats of arms on a navy blue or red background. sometimes, a boob.

California x Virginia: a bear, with boob. State motto, sic sempbear tyrannis

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

George says every American should have a vacuum cleaner in their basement. :patriot:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BonHair posted:

Calligraphy like that seems like it should be allowed on some flags. It's kind of messy, but cool. Just don't put it on anything anyone has to draw.

Arabic is a beautiful language when written down. I can't read it, I don't think I'd have an easy time learning because I can't even really handle cursive, but it sure looks nice.

I hope none of these flags has something bad written on them, I wouldn't know.

Like I feel like this would be recognizable even at a great distance, as opposed to how latin alphabet characters tend to blur into little squares

A little accent to the main design, sure. Much better than Tunisia's earlier flag, although maybe not as distinctive.

Also very distinctive, as well as having a cool notable pattern to compliment it. I'm not really sure how this is supposed to be a whole word, but if it is, what an efficient as well as artistic language.

This is apparently "kufic script", which is an alternative arabic writing system that still looks plenty distinct. I like it, it looks like a skyline.

This has been brought up before, and I don't think the words are very readable from a distance, but it is a clever looking design.

And all of those flags you can juxtapose next to this piece of trash.

Absolute garbage. All the distinct aesthetic qualities of arabic are missing, this looks like something you could type out with a latin alphabet keyboard, in lower case so it looks even shittier. Poorly written even, the characters are all lumpy. The sole part of the design that isn't just text is a white oval on black that is weirdly lumpy. What a terrible, terrible flag.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I remember we had a project in the kindergarten where I worked when we learned about different flags. One of my colleagues that's originally from the Philippines informed me that I had accidentally displayed their flag in a manner that indicated that their were at war.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alhazred posted:

I remember we had a project in the kindergarten where I worked when we learned about different flags. One of my colleagues that's originally from the Philippines informed me that I had accidentally displayed their flag in a manner that indicated that their were at war.

Wikipedia confirms

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I was real loving careful about how I displayed the various flags after that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also very distinctive, as well as having a cool notable pattern to compliment it. I'm not really sure how this is supposed to be a whole word, but if it is, what an efficient as well as artistic language.

Arabic and hebrew denote short vowels with what can be best described in latin as more like accents, so cat could be written as, say, çt, while cot could be čt. Also, the way semitic languages construct words means that you can often get the meaning while dropping the vowel marks entirely. This is usually done outside of stuff like the koran and torah where exact meaning is considered very important. That's why words and sentences can look so concise compared to latin.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Absolute garbage. All the distinct aesthetic qualities of arabic are missing, this looks like something you could type out with a latin alphabet keyboard, in lower case so it looks even shittier. Poorly written even, the characters are all lumpy. The sole part of the design that isn't just text is a white oval on black that is weirdly lumpy. What a terrible, terrible flag.

I think this flag is trash on purpose, kind of like brutalist architecture is meant to convey to the individual that they mean nothing.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I love the City of Portland flag. The green represents the forest, yellow the agriculture and the blue lines represent the two major rivers (Columbia and Willamette) that run through the city.

Tiger Crazy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 14, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiger Crazy posted:

I love the City of Portland flag. The green represents the forest, yellow the agriculture and the blue lines represent the two major rivers (Columbia and Willamette) that run through the city.

There's something about that offset cross...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Arabic and hebrew denote short vowels with what can be best described in latin as more like accents, so cat could be written as, say, çt, while cot could be čt. Also, the way semitic languages construct words means that you can often get the meaning while dropping the vowel marks entirely. This is usually done outside of stuff like the koran and torah where exact meaning is considered very important. That's why words and sentences can look so concise compared to latin.

It's my understanding that the vowel marks were not originally part of the script (in either case), but later added in some situations to reduce ambiguity.