Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, the transition from PPC to Intel was a cluster because processor speeds and storage tech were improving so rapidly that a 3 year old PPC was positively ancient compared to a Core2Duo or Core2Quad, which is why PPC was cut relatively quickly.

Intel Macs will be supported for at least the next 5 to 8 years after the ARM transition I would imagine.

This is an important point. A buddy of mine who bought a dual G5 in 2005 was already struggling to justify the purchase a little because an Athlon64 X2 walked away from it in most cases. By the time 2008 rolled around with dual Xeon-branded Core 2 Quad Mac Pros, even a quad G5 would have felt pretty quaint.

The per-thread performance of an ARM Mac in a mobile form factor probably won’t constitute that kind of a revolution this time around, even with a more generous TDP. It’ll be interesting to see the iMac and Mac Pro, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
I would have thought that Intel would be the pro option for a while and ARM would be the battery life/quiet fan option, but the fastest supercomputer is now ARM-based (https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/23/21300097/fugaku-supercomputer-worlds-fastest-top500-riken-fujitsu-arm) so forget about Intel I guess unless they finally get extreme ultraviolet lithography working.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SaTaMaS posted:

I would have thought that Intel would be the pro option for a while and ARM would be the battery life/quiet fan option, but the fastest supercomputer is now ARM-based (https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/23/21300097/fugaku-supercomputer-worlds-fastest-top500-riken-fujitsu-arm) so forget about Intel I guess unless they finally get extreme ultraviolet lithography working.

The fastest HPC hasn’t been Intel based for years now anyway. It switches between IBM and a Chinese developed one. But everyone still uses Intel/AMD based clusters because they’re cheap and readily available off the shelf.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 23, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I just checked in with 3 of my main programs developers (the non apple ones). The only one I didn't check in on is Infinity photo, which has windows, apple and IOS support. I'm not worried about them, but the other three all also said they'll make the native apple apps when they need to. two are writing apps, one is a production design app. (Scrivener, highland 2, and Vellum). Everything else pro I use are apps built by Apple. (And word, but they showed Word and that will do).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there an office for Windows that’s ARM native? Or does it just run some sort of web based office?

From a simple perspective how much x86-specific code could there be?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Is there an office for Windows that’s ARM native? Or does it just run some sort of web based office?

From what I've heard there's a lesser native one from a while ago, but otherwise just the x86 Office (or 365 Office online?) if you want the whole thing?

But the code base itself is the shared across platforms, they got to that point two years ago. That link makes it sound like the difference between platforms is in the UIs and what they choose to implement and expose to the user, course the "core functionalities" detail is a big vague umbrella for what's not shared yet. But basically for the Mac version I wouldn't be too surprised if it's ported pretty quick. Hell I think they got the iOS one going first and leveraged that work for the Mac version.

One thing I'm wondering about if Office still has a dumb screen size restriction (free on <10" screens?), could you use the iPad one in a smaller window to unlock all the features :raise:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

There was a feature limited variant during the WinRT days, modern win10 arm laptops run emulated x86-32 bit builds

Office run on custom code stacks that are best summarized as spaghetti code, i would bet they cut a lot of corners by basing it implicitly on x86 uARCH

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Duckman2008 posted:

I have a 2012 MacBook. Still supported by Apple, but I’m betting not much longer. Runs fine, so likely any upgrades will be in a year or two when (In theory) poo poo gets more stable and a $1,000+ laptop is a more feasible purchase.

If someone was buying a laptop now, would it be really smart or dumb to buy a 2020 MacBook Air (or Pro) ?

The new MacBooks just got released and overall great reviews , so I’m just curious if people buying them are screwed out of future support as it switches to ARM, or better because the first round of ARM could be rocky since it’s a transition ?

I'm in a similar situation (2013 Macbook Pro) and I wouldn't buy a laptop now if you can avoid it. At least wait until the first ARM computers are released end of the year, you can always buy an Intel one then if they are a disaster. I'm 100% sure they will be good

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My wife bought a MacBook Air like a day before WWDC and her last laptop lasted her 9 years. She only needs Internet and MS office, I’m not really worried about it. (Until she cant update OSX in 3 years).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Dave posted:

My wife bought a MacBook Air like a day before WWDC and her last laptop lasted her 9 years. She only needs Internet and MS office, I’m not really worried about it. (Until she cant update OSX in 3 years).

You're gonna get like 2 more new OS releases at a minimum (Big Sure and whatever else comes after I'm guessing) and then you may not get a new OS but it will still be supported for like 6 more years after.

Catalina was released on 8 year old Macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Dave posted:

On the other hand your keyboard, screen, battery or logic board could have went out twice by now and your laptop is only four years old