Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mrs sexual and daughter are twisting my arm. Our deck was constructed to have one and one was there before we bought the house (they took it :confused: ) Seems like a lot of work and $.

Anyone have good or bad stories about an outdoor bathtub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Don't gently caress in them or you'll get a UTI

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Burt Sexual posted:

Mrs sexual and daughter are twisting my arm. Our deck was constructed to have one and one was there before we bought the house (they took it :confused: ) Seems like a lot of work and $.

Anyone have good or bad stories about an outdoor bathtub?

Cleanliness is next to godliness. Theyre going to baptize you, burt.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Get the hot tub.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Daughter “promises” to take care of it and do whatever you do with an exterior bathtub maintenance plan entails.

I’d probably use it once or twice a year.

They mentioned parties and I’m like wtf people gross.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Make a pro/con listing. How often will someone use it? How often will dead animals drown themselves in it? Will someone try to drown you in it? Also estimate the electricity costs.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've been threatening my wife with bringing home a hot tub for years. But I realize I would die from spending too much time in it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Boats and hot tubs are both huge loving money sinks and you already got the boat so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
You need to balance the cost of buying and maintaining your outdoor mosquito garden with the amount of emotional capital you gain when you want something stupid, and expensive.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Make a pro/con listing. How often will someone use it? How often will dead animals drown themselves in it? Will someone try to drown you in it? Also estimate the electricity costs.

They will likely use it a lot.

I think they come with covers.

Unlikely as I’m not getting in a tub with girls. Gross.

I heard a dollar a day of operation, which would mean like $150. Nit. Compared to purchase, setup, maintenance I bet

E they’d have to use a crane to get it on the second story deck lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Burt Sexual posted:

They will likely use it a lot.

I think they come with covers.

Unlikely as I’m not getting in a tub with girls. Gross.

I heard a dollar a day of operation, which would mean like $150. Nit. Compared to purchase, setup, maintenance I bet

Hmm... I guess if its getting used a lot... but then again https://www.seattlepi.com/national/article/Someone-drowns-in-a-tub-nearly-every-day-in-1201018.php

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It will not get used every day, or even close to every day, after the novelty wears off.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Tell them to build their own with a shovel. They can heat the water by putting their curling irons into the hole.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My place has a hot tub but it doesn't work so it's just a tub.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Start invoicing neighbors for HOA fees to fund the hot tub operation and maintenance under the assumption that burt in a banana hammock taking a bath outside is beautifying the neighborhood.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

treat them to a night or two in a fancy hotel room with a hot tub in it every year and you'll come out way ahead in the long run

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Crusty Nutsack posted:

treat them to a night or two in a fancy hotel room with a hot tub in it every year and you'll come out way ahead in the long run

We go to Vegas twice a year. Or used to. They agreed we ain’t going back anytime soon per my Mod decision.

https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/resort/rooms-suites/wraparound-terrace-suite
Lol imagine booking a room wo a jacuzzi.

So really this is in lieu of our vacations. (See canx cruise/Vegas trips)

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Burt Sexual posted:

They mentioned parties and I’m like wtf people gross.

Leopard print was only the first step to degeneracy, sorry Burt

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Just put a tarp in the bed of a pick up and drive dat bitch around! Mobile tub! Maybe hot if you use hot water idk

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oscar Wild posted:

Start invoicing neighbors for HOA fees to fund the hot tub operation and maintenance under the assumption that burt in a banana hammock taking a bath outside is beautifying the neighborhood.

I hope they like chicken legs and a beer belly

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hot tub maintenance is really intense if you want it to not be freakily murky and scummy. And the scary chemicals to avoid growing things in what is otherwise the perfect primordial soup make pools and processed frozen dinners look like organic kale. I wouldn't trust a teenager with it.

You spend like 2 weeks straight trying to make it go back to normal after a party unless you ban drinks beside water and make everyone take a shower before.

Otherwise if you have the weather for cold-hot-cold saunaing its a nice alternative to a sauna room.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Oh sweet God a sauna. Burt, tell them "gently caress the hot tub let's get a sauna" then get a sauna.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Literally A Person posted:

Oh sweet God a sauna. Burt, tell them "gently caress the hot tub let's get a sauna" then get a sauna.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Hot tubs are gross and if your daughter is in her teenage years she will 1000% have friends over while you are away and they will drink in the hot tub. The hot tub will never be the same afterwards.

Build a sauna!

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Seconding the sauna. Hot tubs are gross.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

The_Continental posted:

Hot tubs are gross and if your daughter is in her teenage years she will 1000% have friends over while you are away and they will drink in the hot tub. The hot tub will never be the same afterwards.

I mean it's mainly this, which you're probably well aware of.

I don't recall where you live (Midwest?) but it is pretty nice to hop into when it's cold out.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

seems like a good way to build up community relations after covid dies down

"we have a sex pond now, do you want to see our sex pond, can I touch your wife titty in our sex pond once we clean out the mildew"

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I want a sauna.

I’d want a hot tub if it came with free lifetime maintenance to keep it from becoming disgusting. It’s a human soup maker.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have never known anyone with a working hot tub, but I’ve met a few people with broken ones!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

E they’d have to use a crane to get it on the second story deck lol

LOL! gently caress no!

sticksy posted:

I don't recall where you live (Midwest?) but it is pretty nice to hop into when it's cold out.

Minnesota if I remember right, which... Yeah, how the gently caress is that going to work out when it's below 0 degrees Fahrenheit?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Using a hot tub is fun but the cleaning, repair, and chemicals are a pain.

Literally A Person posted:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
-Get a 220v hot tub, not 110v- it'll heat faster and use less electricity to maintain temperature

-Make sure your electrical service can handle the 60 amp or so service you'll need

-Connect it to a GFCI breaker for ground fault protection

-Use bromine not chlorine

-Drain, scrub down and refill it every 4 or so months

-Replace the filter when you drain/refill it

-Use these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O5Y46C/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in your filter every 4 months

This company on Amazon has some nice additives to counter the bromine smell and soften the water somewhat: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Spazazz&ref=bl_dp_s_web_20511170011

Hot tubs are loving awesome if you deal with any kind of chronic pain, especially in the Winter. It's relaxing, so :siren:don't drink or do drugs when you're in it by yourself:siren:

Good luck and enjoy!

-Hot tub haver since 2007

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

LabyaMynora posted:

LOL! gently caress no!

Minnesota if I remember right, which... Yeah, how the gently caress is that going to work out when it's below 0 degrees Fahrenheit?

A good insulated lid really keeps the heat in quite well.

Far as existing in the bitter cold for a few moments after getting out... it's not the worst thing.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

grillster posted:

A good insulated lid really keeps the heat in quite well.

Far as existing in the bitter cold for a few moments after getting out... it's not the worst thing.

It's awesome because the additional heat outside and inside gives you Immunity Versus Cold for like 2 minutes, so you burn footprints into the ice/snow on your way back in.

Get a lid. Get a lid lift kit, too.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Awww man... whose suit has detergent in it...

Foam adds character.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, good point- it's just my wife and I so we go au natural but with a family, you'll want to wash the swimwear/hot tub clothes twice through the washing machine with NO detergent, to make sure there is no residue detergent because it doesn't take much detergent residue to give you a ton of suds.

Buy local. Contribute to your local economy. If you're an electrician, go for it, it's not impossible. If electrical work isn't your thing, it should cost around $1200 total, no more for the job, unless there's extenuating circumstances, like a crazy long electrical run. It will more than likely be less than that.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

-Get a 220v hot tub, not 110v- it'll heat faster and use less electricity to maintain temperature

-Make sure your electrical service can handle the 60 amp or so service you'll need

-Connect it to a GFCI breaker for ground fault protection

-Use bromine not chlorine

-Drain, scrub down and refill it every 4 or so months

-Replace the filter when you drain/refill it

-Use these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O5Y46C/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in your filter every 4 months

This company on Amazon has some nice additives to counter the bromine smell and soften the water somewhat: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Spazazz&ref=bl_dp_s_web_20511170011

Hot tubs are loving awesome if you deal with any kind of chronic pain, especially in the Winter. It's relaxing, so :siren:don't drink or do drugs when you're in it by yourself:siren:

Good luck and enjoy!

-Hot tub haver since 2007

Thanks for this effort post. You seem to have some good knowledge!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's better to know a few friends with hot tubs. Then they can spend all the money and you get to use it for free :smug:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i recommend one with the time machine option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970