Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've been a coffee drinker since I was 12 and lately I've gotten into the habit of making and drinking about a liter of drip coffee every morning, often having an espresso later in the day as well. Because I get too little sleep and night and want to nap after work I decided to try quitting on Satuday morning. Since then I've had headaches and lethargy, nothing too bad and not craving it too much. I cracked today and had a capuccino since I'd slept pretty well last night anyway. Headache's gone and replaced by a bit of guilt. I might still try to quit permanently but it's hard because coffee is everywhere.

Has anyone here tried to quit completely, how did that go? Did you have anxiety issues beforehand, and did they get better afterwards? How long did you have withdrawal symptoms if any? Alternatively, why am I dumb and should keep swilling the delicious black liquid forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Idk i drink a cup of cold brew every morning op! If i don't have my coffee i feel ugh and get headaches. I can't drink more than 4 cups or else i get all shakey

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Caffeine is the best legal drug out there. No need to stop now.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Caffeine is the best legal drug out there. No need to stop now.

Getting sweaty and jittery isn't such a great high imo. :shrug:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

whenever i cut down drastically i get a fuzzy head, headaches, and then a couple days later will sleep like the absolute dead

i suggest cutting down to one cup a day and then stopping off that, rather than just stopping on a dime.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
maybe quit gradually over a period of time?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Taper down or you’ll lust for eternal sleep.

I’m onto sipping tea and taking caffeine pills. I feel like different drinks hit me harder but ooowee do my loving meds make my energy levels nonexistent. Love falling asleep all the time, it is great and by no mean taking the life out of me.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Cutting back gradually is a good idea. My problem is an issue total lack of impulse control which usually means I'll be back to a liter+ in no time. Maybe a cup every other day if I can do it.

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

Start a stop watch on your phone, and reset it back to 0 whenever you have a coffee.

I find the psychological desire to make the number grow big and not break my streak has helped me to quit sugary foods & drinks - or at least take a break from them.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Grevling posted:

Cutting back gradually is a good idea. My problem is an issue total lack of impulse control which usually means I'll be back to a liter+ in no time. Maybe a cup every other day if I can do it.

Have a cup daily but have less cups over a week, if that makes sense. Also, swap in other drinks to sort of smooth it out.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I still have a small store of tea and coffee so having some throughout the week may not be a bad idea, just want to avoid dependence. I don't know if it's only because I expected it to but I have sort of felt less anxious, and my sleep did noticeably improve so I want to keep that going.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm sensitive to caffeine and get really neurotic and anxious with minimal amounts of it but I like my French Press and collection of various coffee beans too much.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Switching to decaf is a really effective way of not having to change much about habits and still enjoy coffee/tea instead of just drinking water

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm sensitive to caffeine and get really neurotic and anxious with minimal amounts of it but I like my French Press and collection of various coffee beans too much.

Yeah same. Also coffee is everywhere at social conventions and some people will think there's something wrong with you if you say no.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Carecat posted:

Switching to decaf is a really effective way of not having to change much about habits and still enjoy coffee/tea instead of just drinking water

That's so something to consider, in my experience decaf is both more expensive and less tasty but could be worth trying as a way to silence craving. I wonder if there's a similar thing going on as with beer and wine where the alcohol has a larger role in the pleasurable aspects of it than you realize.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The one cup I had seems to have perked me way up, probably worth the headaches just to experience that again.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Coffee, when done well, with good ingredients and technique, is absolutely delicious but caffeine is an awful drug

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
With that much coffee a day you do not want to quit cold turkey. The headaches and nausea from withdrawal will make for a bad week.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Grevling posted:

That's so something to consider, in my experience decaf is both more expensive and less tasty but could be worth trying as a way to silence craving. I wonder if there's a similar thing going on as with beer and wine where the alcohol has a larger role in the pleasurable aspects of it than you realize.

Teas I’ll have with or without caffeine, rooibos with some honey is A++.

But decaf? Why?

Also god, I’ve yawned a few min before 1PM the past few days which means my body is on a “give me the energy pill or you’re in a coma” rut. gently caress

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
decaf is for sailors

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Grevling posted:

Start with some made using an expensive process and it will be harder to notice. Then shift over to cheaper

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Allatum posted:

With that much coffee a day you do not want to quit cold turkey. The headaches and nausea from withdrawal will make for a bad week.

It wasn't so bad, I think caffeine is really one of the least bad substances to wean yourself off. The headaches did suck though. I didn't feel any nausea. I guess I'm lucky.

teen witch posted:

Teas I’ll have with or without caffeine, rooibos with some honey is A++.

But decaf? Why?

Also god, I’ve yawned a few min before 1PM the past few days which means my body is on a “give me the energy pill or you’re in a coma” rut. gently caress

Oh yeah I'm into rooibos and other fruit teas, they're great. I sometimes make a big batch and cool it down as a replacement for soft drinks. Sounds like you should think about cutting down on the caffeine a bit too though, that doesn't sound healthy or enjoyable.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Carecat posted:

Start with some made using an expensive process and it will be harder to notice. Then shift over to cheaper

Good advice, I might do just that.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

https://savoristacoffee.com/

My friend from The Peace Corps started this business for people who wanted a high quality decaf coffee. I'm pretty sure they ship anywhere in the US.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'd switch to a coffee making method that produce one cup and takes a bit of effort. An Aeropress forces you to boil water, grind beans, and spend a few minutes on making the coffee. It's more involved than pouring one cup after another. And also, the coffee tastes much better.

Also, fruit and herbal teas are a pro move. I replaced all drinks with tea and tap water a decade ago and it was absolutely the right decision. I have a tea collection now. A 2L pot of tea next to my workstation lasts a full working day and keeps me hydrated. Just replace all coffee with tea.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

I went caffeine-free a couple of years ago, and it really helped me deal with sleep and anxiety problems I was having at the time. I kind of miss coffee and black tea (decaffeinated tea is dismal), but it's nice not to feel like I need something to perk me up all the time.

You should probably taper your consumption over a few weeks, since you will probably have built up a pretty mean tolerance. Caffeine is a fairly strong vasoconstrictor, and stopping suddenly can trigger pretty bad migraines if you are prone to them.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 23, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Antigravitas posted:

I'd switch to a coffee making method that produce one cup and takes a bit of effort. An Aeropress forces you to boil water, grind beans, and spend a few minutes on making the coffee. It's more involved than pouring one cup after another. And also, the coffee tastes much better.

This worked well for me.

Instead of a continuous stream of caffeine over the day, I have 2 cups of coffee per and it's a ceremony and a treat. Spend all the time making a 'nice' brew with beans I have chosen for my mood, serve it in a special cup and spoon, have a single biscuit with it and sit and drink it, doing nothing else.

Those 2 cups are special moments of minor luxury and they've taken my caffeine levels right down, but without feeling like am depriving myself of anything

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Grevling posted:

Sounds like you should think about cutting down on the caffeine a bit too though, that doesn't sound healthy or enjoyable.

(Eventually I’ll need to, but I have far too many other stressful garbage to deal with and no no no no no)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Done it before OP. The headaches and irritability will last about a week if you go cold turkey, maybe longer in your case :shrug:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

Also, fruit and herbal teas are a pro move. I replaced all drinks with tea and tap water a decade ago and it was absolutely the right decision. I have a tea collection now. A 2L pot of tea next to my workstation lasts a full working day and keeps me hydrated. Just replace all coffee with tea.

That's a good tip, I was already kind of doing that before by using a moka pot, it is hard not to fall to the temptation of putting on a second pot because the first one is so delicious. Even though the second one is never nearly as good. I could get more into tea, having something like a nice oolong to have a nice hot drink with a reasonable caffeine content is very nice.

spongepuppy posted:

I went caffeine-free a couple of years ago, and it really helped me deal with sleep and anxiety problems I was having at the time. I kind of miss coffee and black tea (decaffeinated tea is dismal), but it's nice not to feel like I need something to perk me up all the time.

You should probably taper your consumption over a few weeks, since you will probably have built up a pretty mean tolerance. Caffeine is a fairly strong vasoconstrictor, and stopping suddenly can trigger pretty bad migraines if you are prone to them.

Managing sleep and anxiety is what I'm hoping to achieve and certainly seems to already be a bit better, despite headaches and irritability. Thankfully I've never had any problems with migraines, I don't even know what they feel like but they sound horrible so I sympathize with those unfortunate enough to get them.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

A coffee enema is when you take a rubber hose and, using air pressure, pump the coffee directly into your rectum. If the coffee is still scalding hot, you will burn your rectum.
Soon after your enema, it's perfectly normal to explosively poo poo all the coffee you've just ingested directly through your now gaping rear end in a top hat. This is the perfect opportunity to double-purpose the funnel you bought for changing the oil in your car in order to catch the 360 degree spray emanating directly from your sphincter.
Upon full completion, you will sleep soundly regardless the amount you took.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

When I was really stressed at work about a year ago I was having about 6 cups a day just to survive. One to wake up, one immediately at work, 3 throughout the day, and one so I didn't fall asleep on the drive home.

It was not good for my body at all so I slowly weaned off of it. When I started working from home I cut back to one cup in the morning, then one cup every few days.

I absolutely love the taste of coffee, but I've turned it back into a "sometimes treat" or a "oh poo poo I gotta stay awake" thing. I don't have any caffeine otherwise since I cut pop out almost 10 years ago.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I’m in the substance abuse field and I like to point out in groups how caffeine is such a socially acceptable drug that I’ll drink coffee or tea in front of clients and not think twice about it. It’s easy to draw comparisons with alcohol since that’s another drug that gets people looking at you funny when you say you don’t drink it.

I cut back to one caffeine containing drink a day and don’t regret it at all. If I have too much now I get overly hyper and anxious and feel under pressure to keep talking. That alone keeps me from trying any heavier stimulants. It’s honestly been so long that I couldn’t tell you how I quit, but it was definitely a gradual thing. Cutting out sodas and coffee-based drinks was good for both my anxiety and my waistline though.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Caffeine is the best drug. It's like what they tell you amphetamines are going to be like.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I switched to decaf a few years ago and honestly, if you do a little hunting you can find good decaf coffees. Stumptown's decaf is available at most Whole Foods and similar stores and is about as good as you can get from decaf without going 100% hipster.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I was once a loving caffeine addict, man. Particularly through college. I finally started getting to the point that I was getting extremely antsy when I had too much and was having a poo poo-load of trouble sleeping. I didn't quit completely but now I have no more than two 8oz cups of coffee in the morning and an afternoon LIGHTLY CAFFEINATED tea. I sleep so much better now and I don't get eh wired-shakes anymore!! :peanut:

Note: The first week I cut back to this amount I had headaches every morning. After that first week though that totally went away.

Rhombic Drive
Apr 15, 2007

I used to drink multiple coffees per day back in school but now I do one cup per day and it's great. Once I was on this routine for a while I stopped getting headaches when I missed a day. Now I can just drink it because I want to, not because I'll feel like poo poo if I don't.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I get to do stuff with a little boost.

One thing is brewing more coffee!

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

From what you're saying it sounds like it would be a good idea to cut down to a small amount, that might take some discipline but I'll try it out. I'll also try getting some decaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Grevling posted:

From what you're saying it sounds like it would be a good idea to cut down to a small amount, that might take some discipline but I'll try it out. I'll also try getting some decaf.

Yeah, that will work.

Try measuring what you currently drink and try to reduce that by 25% per week - decaf is a cheat option that doesn't count to that total - and aim to get to 2 cups per day.