Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you going back to the theater when it reopens?
Definitely yes.
Probably yes.
Probably not.
Definitely not.
View Results

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I've always liked going out to the movies, but I moved across the country a few years ago to a city completely different in scale/scope than my old one and away from everyone I knew. To kill time I started going to the movies much more often, to the point that I got that Regal Unlimited pass when it came out and saw virtually every movie released. The people at my local regal recognize me when I come in, that kind of thing.

I don't think I'd go to a movie theater right now or even in a month.

And its killing me!! I want to watch movies, but it seems like a pretty big risk to take. How are you guys feeling about theaters re-opening in July?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I will at some point go back to theaters but not this year, and we'll see about next year. The question is whether or not the theater industry will even exist by then.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been going to theaters less and less anyway, so no

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been going to theaters less and less anyway, so no

I'm hoping I can feel safe enough to go see John Wick 4 when it comes out next year. I saw 2 and 3 in the theater and I also own them on blu ray, and I can tell you that you haven't properly seen John Wick without theater sound.

But I'm with you in general, the past few years I've only been going to the theater a handful of times per year.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

I'm hoping I can feel safe enough to go see John Wick 4 when it comes out next year. I saw 2 and 3 in the theater and I also own them on blu ray, and I can tell you that you haven't properly seen John Wick without theater sound.

But I'm with you in general, the past few years I've only been going to the theater a handful of times per year.

That's true actually, I'd like to see JW4 on a bigass screen but like you said things would have to have settled by then

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I desperately miss going to the movies since my local theater chain had a movie pass sorta deal going on so it was fun to just go a few times a week, going into various movies without knowing a dang thing about them.

But I won't be going back until I feel safe.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
As long as my local drive-ins get the new movies when they start being released, I'll go there for my movies.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Not for a good long while! Specially not to the multiplex...

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m lucky enough to live near a drive-in theater which I’m willing to go to, but I’m not buying concessions and I’m not going to an indoor theater probably until there’s a vaccine. If there’s a vaccine.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
God I love movies and theaters and used to see a lot of ‘em, due to a combo of working for a supplier and AMC A-list coming out right when a bar opened in my local amc right on the way home.

Answer: yeah, but only buying and lifting my mask for booze concessions.

That being said, finally a time for theaters to renegotiate their take. Can’t eat in a mask!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Once there's a movie worth seeing in theaters, I'll go back. They keep pushing releases back, so I'm not missing anything!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m lucky enough to live near a drive-in theater which I’m willing to go to, but I’m not buying concessions and I’m not going to an indoor theater probably until there’s a vaccine. If there’s a vaccine.

Yeah, this. Indoor theaters are a hard no for at least the rest of the year, drive-in is cool but I'm still not getting concessions.

Really glad the drive-in is an option, even though it's all repeats right now it's just so nice to get out and get the theater experience now and then.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
My wife and I love going to the theatre (even the analog one!) And we miss it but it's too risky these days, even up here :canada: they're opening up way too early

Moloch demands his holocaust

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I don't plan to see a movie in theaters until 2021 minimum, I just don't trust my safety in these big public spaces right now and I'm going to wait to see the damage before I put my family at risk.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
There is a seasonal (I suppose they all are?) drive-in only an hour or so away from me! I've never been to one before, but it sounds like a neat experience.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
in the literal 'will I ever, physically, go to a theater again' yea, probably, but I genuinely can't say when. Well into 2021 at best I'd say.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I work at a movie theater, so yes, but not because I want to.

we're currently scheduled to reopen before Mulan opens July 24th, but if that gets pushed back we probably won't open until August at the earliest.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

My dad suggested we go to the movies tonight because, hey, the theatres opened back up. I told him no because...just, no

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

DC Murderverse posted:

I work at a movie theater, so yes, but not because I want to.

we're currently scheduled to reopen before Mulan opens July 24th, but if that gets pushed back we probably won't open until August at the earliest.

It got pushed back to August 21st.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

the alamo drafthouse around here had a bunch of things i was interested in but they all got cancelled/postponed and no way am I going to a theatre this year

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Edward Mass posted:

It got pushed back to August 21st.

lol yup. two days before my birthday, three days before classes start back up. quite the eventful week.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
No for the same reasons as beaches, although the latter has the added caveat that I never liked beaches - people can't loving behave. They opened a few beaches in the UK as a trial run but people packed them way too much given the pandemic is still ongoing. Too many idiots to risk that sort of thing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

What was the latest summer tentpole release to be pushed back, Tenet?

You gotta think that a lot of studio executives are looking at their balance sheet, looking at the new massive waves of infection hitting the place that aren't going away for the forseeable future, and getting reeeaaaaallll thoughtful about the success of Trolls 2 digital release.

Someone's gonna crack and say gently caress it, let's roll the bones on this. And if that turns out to be a big success and others follow suit.......RIP cinema chains.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'll go back as soon as they reopen, but I live in an especially lucky part of an especially lucky country.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really want to see TENET.

I probably never will in a theater unless there's a super safe way to do it.

Honestly, thinking about it, I think there's a way, but it's so inconvenient and unprofitable that it's totally not worth it. It would be like a military grade operation of moving people and keeping them preferably 8-10 feet apart at all times, operating the theater at like 25-33% capacity, blah blah blah.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Deptfordx posted:

What was the latest summer tentpole release to be pushed back, Tenet?

Mulan got pushed by a month yesterday.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Last movie I saw in a theater was Into the Spiderverse and that was an enjoyable experience so hopefully there's a vaccine or whatever by the time the sequel drops in 2022 because there's no way I'm stepping foot in a theater before then. Maybe hit up a drive-in if they're showing something cool, since those seem to be a nice compromise option. The only thing I was even interested in seeing in a theater this year was Mulan and that's more out of curiosity than a desire to have the theater environment.

I enjoy seeing films on the big screen but I can live without it or splurge on a home projector with a nice sound system if it really comes to that. Seems like digital release is going to become the default one way or another, might as well use the crisis at hand to just get it over with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh my god Cats was the last movie I saw in theaters

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The last movie you'll ever see in the cinema. Truly a memory you can always treasure.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

probably, depending on what we learn about immunity. i caught covid last month so if it works like the flu then i'll go back wearing a mask and maintaining social distancing

if it doesn't, lol gently caress no im not going back to the theatre

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's the future, we should be having movies beamed directly to my tv instead of projected at a crowded theater.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Movie spreaders

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's the future, we should be having movies beamed directly to my tv instead of projected at a crowded theater.

If the Coronavirus had hit, like, 10 years ago, there might've been the chance that the movie theater would lose all cache. Now we live in a world where people watch Lawrence of Arabia on their smartphone so people can say "you've got to see it on the big screen!" and have it mean something.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Not until there's very few cases (might be a while). My enjoyment of film isn't based on where I see it, luckily.

I can't wait to see the headlines where they blame millennials for killing the film industry by not wanting to risk their health for a larger screen than they have at home.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's the future, we should be having movies beamed directly to my brain instead of projected at a crowded theater.

:hmmyes:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Not until there's very few cases (might be a while). My enjoyment of film isn't based on where I see it, luckily.

I can't wait to see the headlines where they blame millennials for killing the film industry by not wanting to risk their health for a larger screen than they have at home.

They already had those articles minus the health part years ago, honestly surprised they haven't shown up yet. I've already seen most boomers completely abandon all social medical precautions since things started reopening in America.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BioEnchanted posted:

No for the same reasons as beaches, although the latter has the added caveat that I never liked beaches - people can't loving behave.
Same. No loving chance I go to the cinemas this year. The kind of folks that'll pack the seats? No way.

I knuckled down and bought an OLED since I figured we'd be out of it for a while so I can enjoy Sonic in the relative safety of my home.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
drat shame that once theaters open up again I have to actively think about going the old route of buying a ticket to one movie then sneaking into another 2 right afterwards like the pre-Moviepass days since AMC's as good as dead.

R.I.P. A-List (2018 - 2020)

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The second to last movie I saw in a theater was Joker, which was a sham of a movie and the audience was chalk full of annoying children.

The last movie I saw was 1917, an amazing experience that would've landed maybe half as hard if I had to view it at home.

Am I going back to the movie theater again?

gently caress yes I am, no act of god or man is going to keep me from my church.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jerkface posted:

I've always liked going out to the movies, but I moved across the country a few years ago to a city completely different in scale/scope than my old one and away from everyone I knew. To kill time I started going to the movies much more often, to the point that I got that Regal Unlimited pass when it came out and saw virtually every movie released. The people at my local regal recognize me when I come in, that kind of thing.

I don't think I'd go to a movie theater right now or even in a month.

And its killing me!! I want to watch movies, but it seems like a pretty big risk to take. How are you guys feeling about theaters re-opening in July?

Movie theaters in NYC are closed indefinitely after being taken off the agenda for phase 4 mid july/august.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There’s no way I’m going back to a theater until the pandemic is under control to the point that it takes little to no special effort to maintain that control.

I have zero faith in the average person to exercise proper caution and prevention measures.

I have no faith that major movie chains will do that either.

I see that as being AT LEAST nine months to a year out.

I’m considering taking my yearly movie budget and investing it into a home theater instead.