Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i don't think it's really great to keep dredging up where people used to post, but I probably feel that way because I was stuck with forums cancer (which is hilarious in retrospect) for a while after lf closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Frog Act posted:

I guess for algorithms indecorous speech is indistinguishable from actual threats or something

i challenged it, a real person supposedly reviewed it and it was upheld

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sure and that's why I think the first thing he needs to do is a better apology that actually explains how he's better. People are going to make mistakes and a zero tolerance approach isn't really tenable because mistakes happen. But they should only happen once. If the dude can explain why it was a mistake, what the problem was, and what he has done to make sure it doesn't happen again than I'm a lot more likely to believe the mistake isn't going to happen again. Combine that with how he's run TFR and that would make me believe it won't happen again and really was a one time gently caress up with really bad judgement.

But he needs that better apology so right now he kind of just looks like a guy who just knows that everyone is mad and it's bad when everyone is mad at you. He doesn't understand why.

Agreed. It’s awkward and painful to make that kind of apology. But the alternative (ignore it and try to ‘move on’, or ban anyone who brings it up) doesn’t work, you’re just delaying the pain and multiplying it. People will continue to ask “what the gently caress??” and this isn’t a small enough issue to be forgotten over time.

Silence doesn’t help anyone in the long run.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Quetzadilla posted:

I'm not caught up on the thread but if the "well-cited" racist screed Cyrano was applauding was about black-on-black violence you would (I hope) be much less inclined to carry water for him, which you should seriously reflect on. Trying to defend Cyrano on this for any reason means you are AT BEST terminally inclined to defend your modmin pals which is how this whole shitshow began, but it also seems likely that you just plain do not understand what's so virulently offensive and toxic about the screed in question.

Also it was from 2017 so "lmao"
I've never interacted with him one-on-one and don't know him. I went and looked at it and it seemed like liberal :decorum: where he didn't say he agreed with the Islamophobia but was saying "great job citing your sources" in this academic way which was (I'm guessing) a naive attempt to regulate politics over there. That might work in academia because things rise or fall because of their sources but it doesn't work on the forums and allows Islamophobia to perpetuate itself -- it's complicity. And that can lead to real harm. No argument there. I'm not a liberal. Now what's the immediate, practical relevancy of that question now when the Islamophobes have since been purged and TFR restructured to have gun threads tracking racism and fascism in the gun industry? Probably the only gun forum on the entire internet that does that. All the other ones are moderated by fascists.

Fly Molo posted:

in cases like this, I can see why an accused mod/admin wouldn’t engage with what they consider (wrongly) to be a “lynch mob”, but there needs to be better communication and dialogue rather than silence, silence, quitting the forums altogether. that doesn’t benefit anyone, and that unresponsive pattern is one of the basic reasons why things keep
escalating to “lynch mob” level before anything changes.
There's just a power struggle over the future direction of the forums. FYAD wants a piece and they want their forum back and they want veto power. Not necessarily to run the whole show but to shape it and do whatever they want after Lowtax is gone. So you dig up dirt on a mod, embarrass them, gently caress them up in front of everybody, force the other mods to react, wear them down, force them to answer for the other mods, pressure them off the site if possible, etc. My view though and I think shared by most people is there are real problems and a loss of trust because the owner of the site beat up his girlfriend and the management / ownership of the forums needs to be restructured, and the forums have been neglected for so many years -- not only in terms of moderation but also the infrastructure / architecture side of things to bring the forums up to date. But if you're worried you'll be next, or you'll get doxxed and have threats sent to you, then you'll just throw your hands up and quit. I'm not saying this is what the mods should do but that's what will happen because they're winning.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
so is the tashilicious permaban good? Weren't they part of the BnR team?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

oxsnard posted:

They were but they were removed the same day the allegations were posted.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

oxsnard posted:

Yes it is, tash is a sexpest

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

1) Bring back fyad, make it a sub of cspam
2) make every regular fyader a mod of fyad
3) wait approximately 3.14 seconds before everyone goes mad with power
4) everyone banned after the inevitable meltdown, except arf, who couldn't even find the mod buttons because we was busy making funny GIFs.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

4) everyone banned after the inevitable meltdown, except arf, who couldn't even find the mod buttons because we was busy making funny GIFs.
Posting thunderdome.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

fyad but everyone has ik buttons actually sounds p. fun

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

bring back two fyads and randomly assign every exfyad to one of them and the red team can moderate blue fyad and vice versa

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Dreylad posted:

i don't think it's really great to keep dredging up where people used to post, but I probably feel that way because I was stuck with forums cancer (which is hilarious in retrospect) for a while after lf closed

fair but also a bunch of tfr people showing up to say 'we already knew about the baby blowjob and islamophobia posts jeez move on' is funny so maybe helldump is good and delete qcs im just spitballing

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Giga Gaia posted:

fair but also a bunch of tfr people showing up to say 'we already knew about the baby blowjob and islamophobia posts jeez move on' is funny so maybe helldump is good and delete qcs im just spitballing

lol I didn't pick up on that because I don't know tfr regulars. what a wild ride it's been.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
good thing they got rid of the sex pest, now they just gotta get rid of the other sex weirds and the admin who likes to scream at people to commit suicide and maybe it won't meltdown in the most predictably boring way possible lol

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Dustcat posted:

bring back two fyads and randomly assign every exfyad to one of them and the red team can moderate blue fyad and vice versa

dex_sda posted:

fyad but everyone has ik buttons actually sounds p. fun

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Posting thunderdome.

I unironically support doing some version of this and think it would be funny as hell

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
at this point SA is pretty admin meltdown resistant, given all the stupid poo poo that has happened with mods/admins over the years

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dustcat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcBTOU7RvbU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

smarxist posted:

good thing they got rid of the sex pest, now they just gotta get rid of the other sex weirds and the admin who likes to scream at people to commit suicide and maybe it won't meltdown in the most predictably boring way possible lol

You'd really think given your famous ouster that you would not want to continuously invoke that period of your posting career but you can't seem to resist.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You'd really think given your famous ouster that you would not want to continuously invoke that period of your posting career but you can't seem to resist.

weird, it's almost like i can post about w/e the gently caress i want or something

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

smarxist posted:

weird, it's almost like i can post about w/e the gently caress i want or something
I see you as an exiled, Trotsky-like figure.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've been doing lots of curls because i will slam that loving door

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

smarxist posted:

Oh my, I see it hasn't scabbed over just yet. Still a very sore spot for you.
It's just like... you know... you didn't exactly ride into the sunset not looking like a disgruntled person with his foot jammed so far down his throat that he could wipe his rear end and put on his socks with the same motion so

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i choose to post about it because the staff over there are fake assholes who spread a bunch of bullshit about me after i left and said jack gently caress about it for months to the point that i still get harassed here, and two of them have jumped unbidden into my direct messages to start poo poo with me in the last week

i don't really give a poo poo what those frauds or their flunkies think of literally anything

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

shut the gently caress up about offsite drama lmfao

this site has plenty enough homegrown

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the more people talk about offsite drama the more pathetic it sounds on both sides

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

dex_sda posted:

At least argue using simpsons memes.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

:hai:

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

dex_sda posted:

Gumball Gumption posted:

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

smarxist posted:

i choose to post about it because the staff over there are fake assholes who spread a bunch of bullshit about me after i left and said jack gently caress about it for months to the point that i still get harassed here, and two of them have jumped unbidden into my direct messages to start poo poo with me in the last week

i don't really give a poo poo what those frauds or their flunkies think of literally anything

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dreylad posted:

the more people talk about offsite drama the more pathetic it sounds on both sides

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Homer looks loving weird in the new episodes

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the voice cast has real uncanny valley vibes these days because hardly anyone can still hit the voices right. Otto sounds like Tom Waits

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
not a single simpsons post on this page

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's complicity. And that can lead to real harm. No argument there. I'm not a liberal. Now what's the immediate, practical relevancy of that question now when the Islamophobes have since been purged and TFR restructured to have gun threads tracking racism and fascism in the gun industry? Probably the only gun forum on the entire internet that does that. All the other ones are moderated by fascists.

Taking your arguments at face value, it sounds to me like TFR's miraculous reformation happened in spite of, not because of, Cyrano's willingness to allow disingenuous phrenology posts on his forum.

Also idk why that ever required admin buttons.

Also if the problem is already solved, idk why Cyrano needs buttons at all anymore. You don't need powers to track fascism in the gun industry.

But most of all, I especially don't know why you feel compelled to defend him.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Only registered members can see post attachments!

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

smarxist posted:

the voice cast has real uncanny valley vibes these days because hardly anyone can still hit the voices right. Otto sounds like Tom Waits
harry shearer is a 76 year old man. glad he's still getting a regular fat paycheck so he can focus on his passion: complaining about the army corps of engineers.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i don't blame them for getting old i blame the show for still being on for 25 years after it stopped being good

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

smarxist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QvNZVbPzBo

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i think of demons posted:

harry shearer is a 76 year old man. glad he's still getting a regular fat paycheck so he can focus on his passion: complaining about the army corps of engineers.

safe

clean

too cheap to meter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Fly Molo posted:

also the grimes episode is crack-ping: the episode, it’s amazing.

Frank Grimes is an amazingly dark and wonderful episode.

Despite being written by a right wing libertarian, it's a perfect look at the failures of capitalism and the exploitation of honest labor by the system that the writer worships.

Those already integrated into the system and safe from it, like Homer and Bart (respectively members of the bourgeois and, in this episode, the land owning classes), are immune from the changes and challenges presented by hard work and toil. Men like Grimes, who do not own property, who are not protected by their bosses, are subject to every disgrace imaginable, despite believing in a Randian dream in which hard work is rewarded.

The collision between how Grimes believes the world ought to work, and how it actually works, results in his *Crack* *Ping*, and, because he is not the capitalist superman he thought he was, he dies accidentally by his own hand. In a different system, Grimes would have been rewarded by the collective for his hard work, and would live the life of an honest worker, rather than striving to impress Burns, and being discarded at his whim.

A Good Episode.