Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i just woke up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP132E-xABg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Organic Lube User posted:

Court-appointed forums admin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF17xlDoPo8

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GoLambo posted:

If the mods have any self respect they'll revolt.

Just take over the forums already.
how do we do that

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'm just curious to know how, you know, just throwing that out there

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

baw posted:

remember when nicholas cage stole the constitution in national treasure

do that, only with the forums
i'll have to watch that today after running to the liquor store. well everyone's top priority should be taking care of CSPAM right now and protecting their community and their fellow CSPAM goons, doing contingency planning, and networking with each other via PMs. goal is for CSPAM to survive, and that planning will be good at creating landing pads and lifeboats in case things don't work out. also don't post public links on the forums because kiwi farms is lurking about, but their forum is having trouble lately too.

i won't be joining B&R, at least not yet... that will depend on how things shake out. in that situation i want to be like the captain in titanic who gets owned by the massive pressure of water smashing through the bridge windows

now beginning a hypno-mind-injection new beat program to focus goons on their task at hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URaftYAZ4rA

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 24, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

net work error posted:

*In Obama voice*
Uhh, if you like your forums...you can keep it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

people are waiting to see if the forums as they are can be wrested away from Lowtax, otherwise there will probably be a large exodus and the best thing would be to go wherever the good admins/mods go and try and bring as many subforums there too instead of every subforum getting 5 discords and 2 webforums with 16 users each

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Wamsutta posted:

yeah discord really fuckin powerful sucks imo

it has its uses for realtime chat for gaming and poo poo but it doesn't take the place of a message board

i am a 38yo boomer
discord isn't a substitute for a forum. "i just want to grill and post for god's sake"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Squizzle posted:

strive for kindness

lowtax is an abuser

stop paying for things on the forums for now. check if you donate to his patreon, and stop if you do

party on dudes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DszfPwRKtuo&t=69s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

So uh. I'm guessing you have seen the Lowtax news. If not go to GBS and it's stickied.

The mod and admin team is all in agreement we can't and won't continue with Lowtax around. We also agree that this is the best community on the internet and it would be hosed up to lose it because of one person. So, we are trying to preserve it. I am hopeful that will be possible, but if Lowtax refuses to give up the forums then that's the end of it.

Anyway. Discord is in no way a replacement for a forum IMO but it's still something. I don't know that A/T really needs its own Discord?? But I don't want to lose the connections here, so I'm going to set one up and post invites for the event that we all abandon ship. I will edit this post to include them when I get to that. I'm hoping it won't be necessary.

I don't know that I've ever straight out said it but my RL situation is my dad is dying of cancer and I am his sole caregiver, so I am kind of busy with that more than I am with forums business lately. That's why we have a IK and Cyrano helping out. I'm not going to ignore this, it's too important, but please don't get mad if something happens and I take more than like, an hour to respond to it. There is literally no one who thinks Lowtax staying is an acceptable option here. We're just trying to keep the forums. SA is the community, not any one person.

I'm going to leave this unlocked for discussion but I would suggest GBS for shitposting, and watch for admin posting/announcements for news.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

either SA goes on without Lowtax or it doesn’t go on. no other options imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzeNBRbWXpI

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bawfuls posted:

I registered on BnR back around the new year when it looked like he might nuke CSPAM, but I'm still holding out hope for now that either the whole forum gets migrated somewhere new (perhaps through sly admin backend work) or taken over. Because if every subforum here splinters off into a different offsite, it's only a matter of time before they all suffocate and die.
cspam is like the slovenia of the forums in a balkanization scenario. and it's a lifeboat. most people don't want the forums to balkanize. but if CSPAM is slovenia and the first to go, mods can't stop it and can't blame anyone for signing up over there especially in circumstances like this -- i mean who are we to tell you where to post on the internet? but what you can do is have a structure in place that goons can return to, if they want. if they don't -- and some won't -- then they won't.

Rastor posted:

You're not wrong but BnR has stated a willingness to be a general forum with subforums and in fact it already is

So if that's where the critical mass accumulates then the rest is just completing a mass migration
i'm not telling people what to do, but it's my sense that you won't get a whole something awful forums-wide migration over there

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Quetzadilla posted:

While it's definitely cool and good that general opinion has turned against lowtax for good, he has done this (at least) twice before over years and years and it is a matter of public court record, on top of the many just personally lovely things he has said or done to prior staff or modmins, so I'm not sure why THIS time was finally the last straw for everyone.
it'll probably become clear later but i imagine in my vulgar marxist way that there have been growing structural "contradictions" so to speak, manifesting in interforums drama that has been happening since lowtax closed FYAD down. and that manifested in grudges within the forums which then develops into a general forums-wide grudge against lowtax.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hopkins FBI posted:

Reene was banning people years ago for accusing Lowtax of beating one of his wives, so

uh
was reene even a mod then?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
to be honest, i wouldn't know what to do in the same situation, on my own.

a WoW subforum mod shouldn't have the burden to vet whether the owner of the website is a piece of poo poo or not. also the situation has changed, and is different, because ladyambien was in a different position and i think wanted to move on. also when dealing with something like this, you have to focus your priorities.

priority one is the subject being safe. priority two, for everyone else, now, is to keep their community safe.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nuclearmonkee posted:

if the forums can be pried away from Lowtax’s wife beating hands I’m sure people will return to :justpost:
i think most people are on the same page

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

There's no way lowtax will give up sa and there's no way anyone should give him money because he's a piece of poo poo. The only solution would be if someone could steal the site from him but I don't know if there's a way to pull off that heist. You'd need a ragtag crew of master hackers with nothing to lose
best case scenario is post-lowtax SA

worst case scenario is dystopian nightmare hell world of discords

there are several scenarios in between those two scenarios

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Arcana posted:

If you think about it this is kind of like a :toxx: thread

wait poo poo
the :toxx: of all toxxes

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

Viewing all possible shitposting futures like some kinda maud dweeb, branches of ineffable horrors all leading to one inescapable endpoint: a sea of goatses
i'm imagining one of those in-between scenarios as a federation of offsites (if B+R's leadership clique would accept it) with the slogan "to goatse where goons have never goatse'd before"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Soup du Jour posted:

the disintegration of SA leading to the rebirth of webrings would be a hell of a 2020 thing
the awful federation

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

QueenOfTheEvening posted:

the wind whispers rhizzone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np2g0OSVX70

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
breaking the rules to provide this glimpse into the mysterious mod forum:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Raptor1033 posted:

Oh thank God she's getting on a flight back home. I was low key worried she didn't have somewhere to go for support
That has been the most important thing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Blaziken386 posted:

is one of those options "buy up his debt from the irs and use it as leverage to sue him for all his possessions"
this seems complicated but if it goes to court i propose hiring derek smart to face off in a battle of legal minds with leonard j. crabs, attorney at law

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

Does anyone know if that journo at Vice is doing a followup about this saga? They reported on the FYAD chuds before once or twice and I think this is even bigger.
oh yeah but as a good communist i have my own spies and agents in various places and they're telling me the editors are like "wait until the site is dead"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BULBASAUR posted:

i will never stop posting

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
new announcement

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

forkboy84 posted:

It's pretty cool to release an announcement to say nothing. Well, I suppose confirming Logan got/is getting out is something big as not everyone will have seen that. Still.
that is the #1 most important thing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

screencaps anonymized to protect the dumb

When you've definitely got your finger on the pulse of what's happening

The election understander has logged on

madposting about the QCS thread where they had to be explicitly and thoroughly told that rape and rape apologia is bad, actually

they really thought they were scheming and pulling strings behind the scenes, probably why they threw such a tantrum about that QCS thread:

goddamn GET A LIFE PEOPLE

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
2fast2awful: mangosteen drift

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

yeah it’s like this every time because, believe it or not, people with emotional attachments to web 2.0 bulletin boards are out of their gourds more often than not, including me
realy, there's just a power vacuum and in that situation you need a strong leader who can step in -- possibly with foreign funding and arms -- to take control and establish security and stability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q29IALHvoRQ

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cumshitter posted:

i plan to stay until im the last remaining member of the forum and when wanderers from the internet stumble upon this benighted wasteland i will respond to all of their posts with cryptic poo poo like

"a great forum stood here once... now it kneels"

"behold the starless twilight of a dead land"

"the drive through speaker blares static. it listens, but can not respond'
i'm gonna be like this in the post-lowtax future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG7voVeJRC0

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

forkboy84 posted:

To make the sin of sincere-posting for a moment, I get why lots of them aren't stepping down. Because hypothetically it would be easier to organise a replacement while having the power to put up stickied threads etc. But the problem is a) why the gently caress would anyone have any faith in something that has people involved in shitcanning people who spoke out about Lowtax's abuse in the past?
from what i can tell is that it's just a big difference between then and now, because now it's between two adults with a lot of very direct evidence. the lady ambien stuff involved a child, a person who is here undocumented, was hiding in a shelter, and did not want anyone to be blasting stuff about this on the forums because she was terrified of being deported and the child going to live with lowtax in what appeared to be a custody dispute. what do you do about that at the time, knowing what you would've known at the time? then you see ex-FYAD goons posting MODS KNEW who were sucking up to lowtax back then because they wanted to get FYAD back... probably more concerned with the sanctity of their posting kingdom than anything else. priority should be on trying to ignore a lot of this unproductive grudge stuff which i am about to do... now

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

T-man posted:

BmD you've been on thin ice as far as i'm concerned and this post just put you in the "gently caress you and die" list as far as i'm concerned. suck my dick and perma yourself you sniveling abuse enabler coward.
leave me alone.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

forkboy84 posted:

Clearly some goons are going to use it as a chance to grind axes because goons gonna be goons even as the planet is swallowed by the ever expanding sun. But just because they are using that as a way to do so doesn't mean it's not got a legit concern at its core. People talk about wanting to keep the community together (& honestly I don't know if that's even desirable, never mind possible, there's some loving horrible people on here. Liberals even!) but having such a lack of confidence (which when combined by the lack of transparency is a real issue) in the people who are apparently deciding our collective future as a place for bad posting about the Failing New York Times & what pistol feels the nicest when you put it up your bum or whatever the Gun Weirdos sub talks & all the rest makes that pretty unlikely.
well, we'll probably lose a lot of people no matter what. so there isn't really any "good" option just a lot of "less bad" options. but i've posted this elsewhere but i thought at the time that it was just a custody dispute. she's kidnapped his kids? what? there was something unsettling and disturbing going on but let's say the mods did try to launch an officers coup at the time, knowing what everyone knew at the time, would most goons have been behind them? that's hard to say. there were a lot of goons defending him. that's not a good reason but i don't think they knew WTF was going on.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

SA was successful in the early internet days specifically because of lowtaxs heavy handed moderation and more of a site wide monoculture

as soon as he walked away (lol briefly handing the keys to Frags) a bunch of different communities and micro-communities sprung up and flourished. this was cool, but the lack of a single source for sitewide moderation made the individual admins and mods go crazy reading cow entrails to determine what the bossman actually wanted. drama grew exponentially, the userbase became increasingly antagonistic to the modstaff, and, well here we are
:hmmyes:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Unoriginal Name posted:

honestly any mod who isnt smuggling quotes out of the mod forum rn deserves their fate in any eventual Nuremberg-style reckoning we may implement post-taxman
spare the other mods but take me... i will submit myself to this nuremberg-style moderdammerung and face the entire, concentrated goon wrath all at once, absorbing it and sparing the forums, mods and all goons... redeeming them

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

spare the other mods but take me... i will submit myself to this nuremberg-style moderdammerung and face the entire, concentrated goon wrath all at once, absorbing it and sparing the forums, mods and all goons... redeeming them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhdVNvd7yKo&t=121s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Squizzle posted:

I TOLD YOU THREE MONTHS AGO THAT THERE WAS A COUP
i am now interrupting this post to declare my own coup within cspam

the brutalist fast food forces have declared their intention to act on their patriotic and historic responsibilities in both direct and indirect ways to contain this situation and achieve subforums reconciliation, securing and guaranteeing freedom of expression, privacy of PMs and integrity of megathreads. all necessary measures will be taken to empower new posters so they can take part in decision making processes. and they appeal to the cspam goons with all their spectrum to steer away from violence and remain peaceful.

may god save cspam and the honorable, defiant people of cspam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq57tQVlmrI

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

we’re in hell world already, forums drama is at least just dumb poo poo that isn’t guaranteed to get us all killed in water riots in a matter of decades no matter what

I would be impressed as gently caress if Jeff taking the forums means climate change happens faster or something, that’s be some wild rear end 2020 poo poo
it's funny how, within these communities, things feel so grand and important with massive earth-shaking significance but the real world out there is still spinning!