Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City of Glompton

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

edit - it's a pleasure posting with you byob i hope we can continue to do that but to be on the safe side, please ask in this thread for an invite to the lifeboat Discord. i can't give you the invite but Brownian Motion can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnU_sJ8V-E

[Mod edit]
We are setting up a BYOB discord for safety net / contingency planning purposes, since we don't know what's going on or going to happen. Post ITT asking to join and how you want to be privately messaged - PM, burner email, twitter, if you don't have PMs you can ask me and I will try to get you PMs temporarily

This is meant as a backup since we don't know what is going to happen. Please hang on to a touch of hope that SA as a whole might survive.

[Another mod edit]
You can also download threads to your hard drive, just in case you want to have all of them around for you personally. This is also meant as a backup for anyone invested into keeping threads archived for personal use:

quote:

A while ago, some goon wrote a thread scraper for SA.

I forked the code and fixed the error messages, then did it again when chrome started hating on http connections or something. It's now the single thing I have available on github, because it would be rude not to let the orginal author know that somebody still loves his dead gay code:

https://github.com/Fumblemouse/SA-Archiving-Tool

To use:

Hit the big green Clone button and download it as a zip file.

Extract the zip file somewhere on your local hard drive.

In Chrome, go Settings -> More Tools -> Extensions and flick the Developer Mode switch on the top right.

There should now be an option to Load Unpacked on the left. Ignoring the untold comedy potential for that phrase, click the option and find the folder you extracted the zip to - by default, SA-Archiving-Tool-master. Select that folder and click the Open button.

All going well you should now have a hard-to-see SA icon on the chrome extension bar. If you visit a SA thread with a thread ID, eg https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3903748 the icon should now be clickable with a single option...Archive.

Click that link, and your local PC will think for a while, depending on your local tubespeed, then display a single page with the entire thread on it. CTRL+S or Rightclick Save As and save it whereever you want. WebPage, Complete will save images also.

Because nothing in life is easy, the saved page's HTML CSS tags refers to something set up by the chrome extension, so it will look a bit crappy in another browser or if you remove the extension. This can be fixed by changing the CSS reference in the Saved As HTML file to the files in the /archive folder from the extracted zipfile - or you could copy the /archive css files into the HTML file's folder and just have the tags as direct links to files (no folder references)

Go crazy!

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 25, 2020

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade

Respect. Peace be with you.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

oh no :(

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Manifisto

this is all very upsetting. glompton you know I respect you and your decisions, you also know how important you are to byob but do what you think is right.

all of this leads to a difficult question that I've thought about but also kind of avoided. what becomes of byob if we no longer have a home?

I am not entirely sure how or where to have this discussion, but it may be something we need to have.

Stooge

Manifisto posted:

this is all very upsetting. glompton you know I respect you and your decisions, you also know how important you are to byob but do what you think is right.

all of this leads to a difficult question that I've thought about but also kind of avoided. what becomes of byob if we no longer have a home?

I am not entirely sure how or where to have this discussion, but it may be something we need to have.

The great migration. Every BYOB poster has an innate sense of the earth's magnetic fields, allowing them to find new places to post.

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you
See you friends

wearing a lampshade

For offsites you have byobxp as precedent. But byob I think works because it's a visible subforum, not it's own thing. I don't think it would work for very long.

If this is how it ends then thank you for the sig, nut, and thanks everyone for the posts I got to emptyquote. PM me if you want to talk about music and stuff outside of sa.

Stooge

is there a BYOB discord? I've had fun posting here on and off and I would like to continue to have fun

Framboise

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Stooge posted:

is there a BYOB discord? I've had fun posting here on and off and I would like to continue to have fun

I mostly lurk but I'd join one too

And since it's discord I might actually post

Manifisto

albany academy posted:

But byob I think works because it's a visible subforum, not it's own thing.

I agree totally. Some sort of reddit subforum seems like the most obvious answer but reddit lacks exactly the things that make sa unique and good.

wearing a lampshade

Framboise posted:

I mostly lurk but I'd join one too

And since it's discord I might actually post

Heck :same:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Lowtax is a nasty turd

Goons Are Gifts

Oh Jesus loving christ :sigh:

Why do I always wake up to bad things

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Goons Are Great posted:

Oh Jesus loving christ :sigh:

Why do I always wake up to bad things

Welcome to nowadays

more falafel please

forums poster

I haven't been posting in byob for long but if some offsite poo poo gets set up could someone email me at james.fishsticks@gmail.com please

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

i'm this username @ gmail and had nooo plans at all for a needing a whole parachute forum, if anyone did pls clue me in

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

paul_soccer12

by Fluffdaddy
This is like God emperor of Dune where the golden path is an explosion of repressed posters into a trillion new websites that can't be stopped.

more falafel please

forums poster

same thing happened after lf

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

BYOB I neglected you too long I have many fond posting memories here.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

LePoissonDeNoel

he sees you when
you're sleeping

he sees you when
you're sleeping

he sees you when
you're sleeping

he sees you when
you're sleeping
learned to post here when byob was a baby and then i lurked for a decade, thanks everyone

@thexmasfish on twitter i guess (l8r sk8rs)

Escape From Noise

PM me with any off-site info plz. I am banned from Twitter for discussing politics

Escape From Noise

It was fun postin' with everyone. I'll skulk around for a bit before I log off forever.

nut

i wish i knew how 2 make a forum, but in the meantime i'd love to jump back in to the yob discord if its still around

Escape From Noise

nut posted:

i wish i knew how 2 make a forum, but in the meantime i'd love to jump back in to the yob discord if its still around

Also this

nut

i think byob does have enough people 2 support a tiny dumb forum where we make each other laff if it counts for anything

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

watho#1479

@horriblepuddles on twitter, it’s a locked acc but if i recognize you i’ll let you in and follow back

this has been a great community for several years but this is the last drop

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

Escape From Noise

nut posted:

i think byob does have enough people 2 support a tiny dumb forum where we make each other laff if it counts for anything

According to my calculations there are at least two posters

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I need byob. : (

I brought my Drake

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

If BYOB can make a spaceship they can make a Discord. :hai:

SASS-133DCB

Chrs

I only got Discord this morning, I don't know how to make one but I'll make one if you guys want. I'm happy for someone else to do it though because I'll probably make a mess of things

Stooge

Plant MONSTER. posted:

what will become of Marge quest 2(!?)

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
lmao when im actually concerned for that

like i finally have a little silly project that has managed to keep my interest, that i enjoy doing and that i haven't given up on after a week.

it's almost 2 months old!

2 months!!

Twenty Four

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Also i don't know what is up other then some vaguely phrased rumors and accusations of lowtax and some people making quick decisions to look like they are on the right side of things? I don't mean that insulting to anyone I am just genuinely lost and confused

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

hello yes if there is a mass yob migration someone please let me know I like posting here

kaiser.schnitzelsa at gmail dot com

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Twenty Four posted:

Also i don't know what is up other then some vaguely phrased rumors and accusations of lowtax and some people making quick decisions to look like they are on the right side of things? I don't mean that insulting to anyone I am just genuinely lost and confused

it's public record that he's done this to *checks notes* at least three women in the last ten years missouri casenet is your friend.

believe women. it's not difficult.

FutonForensic

futonforensic@gmail.com, lemme know where you wander

jpeg

good_mother69

pls pm me a byob discord if there is one. I think I'll try to get in with the crew at byobxp.com, I hope to see you there orbs :byob1:

sig by the great nut

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete
I haven't posted or lurked as much as I used to, but some of my favorite forums memories come from right here. It was good knowing you guys, and may everyone have a wonderful, long life.

Twenty Four

Kief Richards posted:

it's public record that he's done this to *checks notes* at least three women in the last ten years missouri casenet is your friend.

believe women. it's not difficult.

ok sorry i just honestly don't keep up on this stuff because i have enough trouble in my life that i try not to import every possible issue into my mind, like I said, and I guess this is new news I don't have a full understanding of yet? I can't even keep up with my favorite threads a lot of the time, not to mention be up to date with all the latest unrelated news I haven't heard about. Thats why I was asking, because I trust my byob friends the most.

if everyone is jumping ship, i don't understand discord and never use my email, and cant stand redit etc so i duno, probably just gonna :justpost: because i guess the forums are a money sink nowdays anyhow, or I guess just give up?

this all makes me very sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpeg

good_mother69

Twenty Four posted:

ok sorry i just honestly don't keep up on this stuff because i have enough trouble in my life that i try not to import every possible issue into my mind, like I said, and I guess this is new news I don't have a full understanding of yet? I can't even keep up with my favorite threads a lot of the time, not to mention be up to date with all the latest unrelated news I haven't heard about. Thats why I was asking, because I trust my byob friends the most.

if everyone is jumping ship, i don't understand discord and never use my email, and cant stand redit etc so i duno, probably just gonna :justpost: because i guess the forums are a money sink nowdays anyhow, or I guess just give up?

this all makes me very sad

Same. I'll post here until SA shuts down. I haven't spent money on the site in a long time except for my gangtag and that was a donation. So I'm ok that I'm not giving him money

sig by the great nut