Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Mods here seem fine for all the years this sub forums been running I cannot remember super mod opression drama. There was the wiff on that Saudi guy but gently caress as people say no one bats a 1.000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
rovert was a pretty big whiff as he was way too bonkers for way too long but that situation is long since resolved (for this sub at least).

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm mostly just a lurker still, but I just want to say that I think the mods and IKs are doing a good job here overall. This is still the best online wrestling community I've ever come across.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its a low bar

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

I'm mostly just a lurker still, but I just want to say that I think the mods and IKs are doing a good job here overall. This is still the best online wrestling community I've ever come across.

JOHN CENA posted:

its a low bar

I second both of these posts.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

JOHN CENA posted:

its a low bar

It's not too late we can still become WWEMecca

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Quick someone write a song parody about Retribution

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Senerio posted:

Quick someone write a song parody about Retribution

somebody once told me
to watch aew retribution
and i did so and it was good

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is also the best online MMA community and that is also a low bar

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

amen.

personally i think jerusalem is one of the most humourless, unfunny, and worthless actual posters i've ever seen and his (?) moderation style reflects his posting style imo. that said i've got absolutely no problem with all the times he's pressed buttons on me because it's actually the only time he's funny. the fact that it's unintentional and completely serious is amazing. keep doing what you're doing.

i called mekchu and brut names to their face in the sumo thread and basically dared them to use their buttons on me and they, being adults, just decided to drop it instead and the thread resumed course unaided. then jerusalem appeared and used buttons on me and it's probably the hardest i've laughed in here since oildome.

whatever is currently happening is producing the best place to post about this poo poo on the internet so keep on keeping on. sincerely, thank you all for your unpaid work.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CommonShore posted:

i miss dunc

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
the best online mma community is my coworker who texts me every time he sees frankie edgar which is like 2-3 times a week because he's his neighbor

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

We've at least gotten to the point of agreeing that it's bad to say slurs, which unfortunately is better than basically every other MMA forum in existence

edit: also, I think Jerusalem is doing good.

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 27, 2020

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's not too late we can still become WWEMecca

So will it be you or J-Ru that fake their own death and have their 'brother' take over?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Seth Rollins is Jerusalem's brother

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

So will it be you or J-Ru that fake their own death and have their 'brother' take over?

I already became a girl so it'll have to be j ru

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

J-Ru does a really good job, GMT is the best timezone and I hope HulkaMatt is doing well on the farm he went to.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JOHN CENA posted:

i miss dunc

he was probably the best poster this website has ever seen and i wish he wasn't doxxed off the loving internet.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
I don't like the constant pedophilia jokes made in the threads lately. Everyone has their triggers and that is mine.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Dr. Baker posted:

I don't like the constant pedophilia jokes made in the threads lately. Everyone has their triggers and that is mine.

It’s a little much. I feel like we can make them where it’s more dissing the pedo than using the victim
as a prop

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Dr. Baker posted:

I don’t like the constant elevating of pedophiles on national television

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I don’t like the constant elevating of pedophiles on national television

We're on the same side, dude.
I just don't like that topic being made into humor. That's me. I can't stop anyone. I would like to feel like I can say how I feel without being antagonized.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
The pedo jokes are gross and unnecessary. Seeing people quote them over and over again with :drat: or :vince: is extremely tiresome.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me

Hopkins FBI posted:

The pedo jokes are gross and unnecessary. Seeing people quote them over and over again with :drat: or :vince: is extremely tiresome.

Thank you, friend

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I thought the jokes were mildly funny but I am quite bad as a person. I understand why others would not.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Dr. Baker posted:

Hopkins FBI posted:

Thirding this.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm guessing that these jokes have mostly revolved around Velveteen Dream, with people intending to joke about WWE rather than the victims? If so I'm not sure if it's something that the jokers could truly avoid, and I say that as someone who will make awful jokes as leverage during awful times, I confess. Seeing as people are deeply uncomfortable with it, I'll try to resist making jokes myself and try to understand why it's bad/why I make the jokes in the first place.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dr. Baker posted:

Hopkins FBI posted:

Agreed.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
I think this forum could stand to show sensitivity to the topic of pedophilia as it does other issues.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I feel like if you outlaw jokes about Velveteen Dream, then all you're going to do is be able to say like, "Velveteen Dream is a pedophile." or angry posting about him. I don't think they're very funny, unless I made them, then they're funny as fug. I suppose if that's the environment of the forum you want, then naturally you'll disagree. "Gallows humor" is pretty useful for me personally, but I understand it's not everyone's thing. Either way, I'd like to not see jokes outlawed on what is still a comedy forum, and by far the funniest place to talk about wrestling and MMA online. At the same time, I remember being upset when MotU kept making jokes making fun of Adam Rose's kid for his terrible birth defects and being called a pussy about it lol, so I'm not hating.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

one time, my friend got in trouble for wishing death on the pedophile Jerry Lawler on here. Jerry became a politician in 1999 but I don't believe the current roles on that were in place back then. i don't really know why things are the way they are. If nothing changes in terms of rules I think asking people not to do something because it bothers you significantly is more than fair, at least

When I said roles, I meant to say rules instead. This is an edit to make that clear.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 28, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I personally like gallows humor and it's one of the ways I handle stuff. The thing though is gallows humir has to be a good joke or else it's not going to land and just come off as tasteless and dumb. I personally think all the humor has been squeezed out of the Dream stuff. That's honestly how I feel most of this stuff goes, the first jokes are clever, funny, and put a light on something people should know about though the joke. Then as time goes on the well runs dry and it's just people mentioning that Dream groomed kids and to try and get a laugh.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, I've said before I have gallows humor and it's helped me get through some personal stuff myself. At the same time I understand the complaints about this particular situation, and also the sheer rapidity of it is worth noting (Dream came back three weeks ago to the day and there has, at least for the last week, been way more jokes than...basically any other NXT discussion?)

Ultimately I defer to Jerusalem and/or Junpei, not just as the superiors here, but as they know what they're talking about and how to handle stuff like this better and/or more carefully than I...probably think I'll ever be able to, especially because of the bias I have to that brand of humor as I mentioned at the beginning of this post. While I'm making a post about it on the record though, my default belief would be to say jokes, even unfunny ones, about stuff (especially as a way of coping) shouldn't be banned, but this particular situation has almost certainly run its course in this short a time and could, at the very least, use a break. Especially if it's causing other posters distress to see it so often

We all want that rear end in a top hat gone, HHH refuses, nobody's gonna say HHH is wrong because I guess he does a good Takeover once every 5-6 months, and that rear end in a top hat's not going to stop being on TV again because of it unless he's hurt, dead, or someone overruled the big nose. If our options at this point three weeks into this situation are "ignore him until that happens" or "make one of the same 6 To Catch A Predator jokes every two days", I'm personally leaning more toward the former as being the best option*. At the very least until enough time passes there might be a new joke to make about him. Maybe he gets in another car wreck (that's what HHH said was the reason he was taken off TV, right? Car wreck?)

*And it's not like it's the hardest thing in the world to ignore part of NXT/WWE programming. Ask the dwindling TV audience :rimshot:

edit: Sorry if this rambled or didn't make much sense, I was about to go to sleep when I saw this thread had new posts, and I didn't want to be silent on this particular issue because I did see it come up and was asked privately about it before the thread reopened and before, well, more jokes about the situation happened causing the complaints to deservedly not go away. I should have brought it up to Jerusalem when it first came to my attention as an issue people were openly concerned about, and I'm glad people are being upfront with their concerns in here

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 28, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Count me in as somebody who enjoys gallows humor, and that I've strongly felt that the jokes have been very specific about mocking Dream rather than victims. But if people are finding it is going too far or that the humor has been beaten to death, that's a perfectly valid take and they should feel free to express that. I'm not going to ban the jokes, but I am going to encourage people to move on and find other jokes to make instead and be creative rather than :regd08:

And yeah, all else aside, gently caress WWE for protecting a pedophile. Not for the first time, and not the only one currently because there's Austin Theory too. It's inexcusable.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
Would it be equally as acceptable if someone was constantly cracking jokes about the situations and accusations made during the Speaking Out movement? Even if they were mocking him and calling him a creepy fucker and whatnot, would people be OK with seemingly nonstop "Jay Lethal big for Taeler Hendrix" jokes every time he was on screen or mentioned? If not, then we shouldn't be OK with "Velveteen Dream big for teens" kind of jokes either. Just my 2 cents worth.

(E: I know, Jay Lethal isn't on screen or mentioned anywhere ever, it was just the first one of those type of accusations that sprang to mind)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

There's no good answer for that. Personally, I'm not comfortable making jokes about things like rape, probably because I don't see a way to make it funny, even through dark humor. Why I'm able to curb that sentiment with something like Velveteen Dream jokes, I don't know. I guess it's like I said in my earlier post. I hated all the jokes about Adam Rose's kid, but there were others that clapped along. We all have our things we hate to even joke about. I don't mean to harp on that or even talk bad about MotU, it's just an example that springs to mind.

Regarding your edit, I do think the fact that Velveteen Dream is not only a television presence, but heavily pushed, makes it easier for people to comment on it in a comedic way.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i don't know how many paedophile jokes could possibly exist, but i bet all the good ones have been posted and empty quoted already.

i'm trying to imagine a barrage of goons trying to be funny about money protecting and promoting a paedophile while actively contributing to the paedophile's status by watching the broadcast and i haven't imagined not hating it yet.

i don't know how this topic isn't in the 'you better be loving funny' bucket instead of the 'allow goons to meme it' one but whatever. doesn't affect me one iota.

sympathies to the person who is affected though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

yea ok posted:

Regarding your edit, I do think the fact that Velveteen Dream is not only a television presence, but heavily pushed, makes it easier for people to comment on it in a comedic way.

Aside from the very horrific and sensitive nature of the topic in general, I think the big problem is that too many people post these jokes thinking they're Dave Chappelle dunking on R. Kelly, when in reality they're Seth MacFarlane thinking a Family Guy scene with Herbert in it is the height of edgy comedy. It's not just gross, it's tiresome.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think this is an issue that can, should, and hopefully will be resolved amicably without resorting to rule changes or mod buttons. I disagree harshly with the idea of banning certain topics for jokes, while also believing we should all try our bests personally to be respectful of our fellow posters' wishes. I think the incident with the hornyposting should have been resolved this way when people initially were asking kindly to slow it down and we obviously failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I agree, and I guess didn't really articulate that well enough. I'm not banning the jokes, but just trying to help push people along to making their jokes about other things.