Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

El Generico posted:

In my opinion Discord is an excellent platform that is in no way a replacement for a forum.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Seams posted:

I’m gonna be pissed if TNA outlives SA

This is like the one thing I expected honestly

TNA will outlive all of us. online and offline

ed:

flashy_mcflash posted:

Fight Island/PSP as well as the CineD Horror Thread are two places that have generally productive and non-toxic discussions about things that have really toxic fanbases elsewhere on the internet. Those are the two parts of the forum I'd really miss if SA went down.

:same:

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 24, 2020

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Man, I picked a weird 24 hours to come back

Honestly "a weird 24 hours" would similarly describe any day this year, any of the last 8 days especially

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The last time I was on a forum that imploded, it happened immediately after Kane returned at the end of a Raw

This time I'm on a forum that implodes, it happens immediately after Taichi is on the cover of Weekly Pro

I regret nothing

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I can vouch for BnR, signed up for it today and it's smooth. If you don't wanna pay/donate it might take a bit to get your request through because they've been getting a lot of requests all day

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

what in the world

That's been called out in CSPAM and QCS, it's entirely different formatting from the rest of her posts, and it's a similar statement to one that randomly popped up overnight in KiwiFarms, a place we already know Lowtax browses and has at least one account in

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

From the GBS (i know) thread on the situation

Incomplete Fish posted:

remember at the end of last year when lowtax told his daughter (who caught him cheating) that he never wants to see her again?

But hey if you're looking for any positives, the patreon's now down to $2899 :toot: (for reference, it was at over $7400 twenty hours ago)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

holy gently caress I can't believe Fark's gonna outlive this place :stare:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mekchu posted:

There's more than 1 Bloodsport???????

:lmao: oh yeah

Sequels
Main articles: Bloodsport II: The Next Kumite, Bloodsport III, and Bloodsport 4: The Dark Kumite
Since its release, Bloodsport has become a cult film.[14] It was followed by three direct-to-video sequels: Bloodsport II: The Next Kumite (1996), Bloodsport III (1997) and Bloodsport 4: The Dark Kumite (1999). Jean-Claude Van Damme did not appear in any of the sequels.

3 has the John Wick director
4 was filmed in a prison and had real inmates as extras

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I like BnR, I've never heard of tollymain, I love C-SPAM, and i'll post with my friends

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Is there an MMA-focused discord?

Mekchu made one a while ago yeah https://discord.gg/SkR8ZeC

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Like every offsite it's more for bitching about this one that anything else.

I've literally not seen that at all, and it's frankly impressive the hoops you and others are jumping through

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Don't come back this time either, like the last time you said you were gone (I notice people in this sub keep making a habit of doing that, btw. Bad habit!)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sticking around for now, but even before all this drama there was other stuff going on in my life (good, creative, challenging and very welcome stuff!) that were gonna necessitate me at best taking a backwards step as a mod for a few weeks, and at worst having to drop being a mod entirely. I've brought it up very briefly in the mod forum but acknowledged it's a very low priority thing given all the poo poo currently going on in the forums, so until things settle down a bit I plan to just continue modding here as best I can.

You're doing good work, thank you

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Hey, fuckers. I want to believe too. Don't accept this just to assuage your guilt. All of us, from admins down, don't know poo poo.

We believe that SA isn't profitable because a serial abuser said so.

We believed he needed money for medical procedures because he said so.

Are we really gonna' believe he'd do a good deed here for our benefit?

:agreed:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:laffo: literally appearing on a nazi podcast within the week, cool cool

Apologies to actually anybody I ever suggested spend money on this site, won't be doing that ever again

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

From one of the staff who recently stepped down:

Lightning Knight posted:

Also if you’re a lurker who isn’t clear on this: it’s not over. If Lowtax doesn’t commit to the deal and gently caress off, we still need to leave. We still need to make sure everyone knows to stop giving to his Patreon, too.

As I said, there are only two options: an SA without Lowtax, or an end to SA.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If your money is still for some reason among the $1631 contributing to the patreon: stop that poo poo now https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

I have poured a salt ring around this post as a protective ward against the curse of being a mod. Emptyquote this post to protect yourself as well

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ExHumus posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what does IK stand for?

Idiot King

They help mods do work on subforums when the mods aren't around often enough to provide help, or (in big subs like C-SPAM) there's too much activity for just two mods to ever keep track of even if time of day wasn't an issue

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I don't think there's really an easy solution to modding or IKing this place that will leave everyone happy, and that's not something I say comfortably. The reality of the situation is 1) Jerusalem's on a different timezone/country than most of our userbase during the bulk of the hours, 2) Junpei's mod of at least one other forum, 3) the MMA IKs almost always stick to browsing MMA/boxing/grappling threads, and 4) I've been balancing my time when not on here with looking for a job, which is progressively taking more time (and will obviously take even more time away from being on FI if successful)

Everyone has gaps in time and things that take attention away, even briefly, from FI's situations. I sincerely believe everyone is doing, or trying to do, their best with that in mind. It could be better, and I've been the first to say I think I suck/am doing a bad job at this (and I'm very blown away at the contrary response thus far :stare: wtf) so I definitely know it could be better in general and from me, but I really do think we're all trying

I think gaps could potentially be plugged up with another mod in addition to it all, but again, that's assuming there's someone who has the time, timezone, and focus, and idk how you really begin sorting that out without basically starting someone from scratch. Just transferring another current mod to double duty risks at least one of the same conflicts Junpei had, which (along with Jerusalem's vacation) was part of why I was brought on in the first place as IK to help lighten the load

All of that is to say all possibilities should be considered, but I don't think there's a quick and easy solution that is going to happen and also end up being completely liked

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 25, 2020

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

cj2 i love your energy here but i do not think the solution is for the wrestlehut to have as many moderators as c-spam

I absolutely don't think we should have 10 mods and 10 IKs or anything like that. I personally think two of each would have sufficed fine in a good situation, obviously even one of each could work and has worked in a subforum. I'm definitely not the best at wording things right, I think that's another reason I suck at this, and I've spent a while typing and retyping this trying to figure out how to word this properly but I guess I was just trying to say there's stuff for each of us causing us to have gaps, to not have complete focus and pay proper attention and respect to immediate situations that come up (and as NienNunb pointed out I already hosed up right out the gate with handling one of those basically my first week, that was inexcusable even with my apologies and I definitely need to do better about that when I'm here while I'm here). But immediate situations Have come up often this year. Often enough that that's probably not going to end well long-term if that continues to be the go-to strategy for us, unintentionally or not. And in our current state, maybe having one more available body, who that ideally wouldn't be the case for, wouldn't be the worst idea imo. But I acknowledge that's probably wishful thinking or "throw enough ideas at the wall, eventually something will have to stick, and it clearly hasn't been what we've tried yet" mentality on my part

And to be clear I'd be totally fine with stepping down if people think there are too much bodies at this point or at that point. I'd rather this place have what it needs to be competently handled and to have less immediate situations that come up than the alternative, and I've already had enough concerns (in general and in my first week of action) that I was/am just another part of the problem stopping that from happening

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, I've said before I have gallows humor and it's helped me get through some personal stuff myself. At the same time I understand the complaints about this particular situation, and also the sheer rapidity of it is worth noting (Dream came back three weeks ago to the day and there has, at least for the last week, been way more jokes than...basically any other NXT discussion?)

Ultimately I defer to Jerusalem and/or Junpei, not just as the superiors here, but as they know what they're talking about and how to handle stuff like this better and/or more carefully than I...probably think I'll ever be able to, especially because of the bias I have to that brand of humor as I mentioned at the beginning of this post. While I'm making a post about it on the record though, my default belief would be to say jokes, even unfunny ones, about stuff (especially as a way of coping) shouldn't be banned, but this particular situation has almost certainly run its course in this short a time and could, at the very least, use a break. Especially if it's causing other posters distress to see it so often

We all want that rear end in a top hat gone, HHH refuses, nobody's gonna say HHH is wrong because I guess he does a good Takeover once every 5-6 months, and that rear end in a top hat's not going to stop being on TV again because of it unless he's hurt, dead, or someone overruled the big nose. If our options at this point three weeks into this situation are "ignore him until that happens" or "make one of the same 6 To Catch A Predator jokes every two days", I'm personally leaning more toward the former as being the best option*. At the very least until enough time passes there might be a new joke to make about him. Maybe he gets in another car wreck (that's what HHH said was the reason he was taken off TV, right? Car wreck?)

*And it's not like it's the hardest thing in the world to ignore part of NXT/WWE programming. Ask the dwindling TV audience :rimshot:

edit: Sorry if this rambled or didn't make much sense, I was about to go to sleep when I saw this thread had new posts, and I didn't want to be silent on this particular issue because I did see it come up and was asked privately about it before the thread reopened and before, well, more jokes about the situation happened causing the complaints to deservedly not go away. I should have brought it up to Jerusalem when it first came to my attention as an issue people were openly concerned about, and I'm glad people are being upfront with their concerns in here

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 28, 2020

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd like to apologize for any times I may have piled on EMF in the past, or indeed anyone else who wasn't posting in bad faith/trolling. I think sometimes we get caught up in the rush to try to be particularly witty/cutting in our replies to stuff we disagree with, without considering the feelings of someone who actually isn't just being a trolling asshat, and I know I've certainly been guilty of that.

:same:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

is the G1 happening?

Next month yep

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Speaking of, I was wondering/had been wondering for a bit if there's any interest (maybe by next week in time for that new episode?) in closing the old AEW Dark thread/starting a new AEW Dark thread that is preferably Not OP'd by that dipshit, and I wasn't sure whether to bring it up in here or in the AEW thread

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mekchu posted:

Unrelated to anything to do with probations but MobsterLobster posted a cool thread I think people should check out.

Its about Moat Fights.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941694

For the decade or so I've actually paid attention with regularity to MMA, no event or moment has brought me as much joy as the day I first discovered Ganryujima moat MMA

I also always love seeing people's reactions to the utter clusterfuck that is Team MMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixDXD44_yA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MotU posted:

also the IK didn't even probe or reprimand the poster but agreed with them before hand, like the poo poo was popping off and nothing was being done.

I was away from the subforum (and posting on others including the football one when I was online; :lol: falcons) for a couple hours after my second/final post on the matter was made, and I wasn't aware the situation escalated until around 5PM when I saw the new replies to this thread

The situation escalating, and the implication being it escalated because I agreed with taintrunner that Dwayne sucked IRL, wasn't at all my intent; I was, at least I believed I was, just contributing my thoughts to the matter which I'd believed to be wrestling-related (my rationality was the subject of Dwayne is always going to be wrestling-related, we still get Fast and Furious derails in threads, including even the WWE discussion thread, because of his involvement in the franchise for example, so talking about him was imo fair). With that in mind, thinking it was a wrestling-related and wrestling social media-related on-topic discussion, I personally didn't think the discussion was out of hand at that time. I certainly didn't consider that I was enabling a bad discussion, or bad argument in it, that was only going to go further south. But that was my opinion, I accept the reasoning of anyone who thought it was getting out of hand, I should have realized at the very least it definitely still had potential to get out of hand, and it definitely did end up getting out of hand. I should have taken that more seriously, I should have put my own personal opinion aside long enough to see that from a neutral perspective, and I apologize for not doing more to prevent that escalation from occurring. That final post taintrunner ultimately got probed for was Completely out of line; I apologize I didn't see it when it first happened

MotU posted:

there also seems to be like some sort of batsignal that summons other random c-spam posters than barely post here if at all to suddenly try and dogpile-defend the original cspam shitter's view so like can we just somehow put a stop to this

Raskolnikov38, Vagabundo and Cerebral Bore (I'm assuming the names you're talking about, they're the only other ones I've seen post in C-SPAM and post in the Social Media thread today) are all Fight Island regulars who have been having fun with everyone else in here making fun of Retribution repeatedly this week, and Bore had a great time liveposting during the G1. Hopkins FBI is yet another great C-SPAM poster who also posts in this subforum. Even taintrunner, the person this was all about, has posted on-topic contributing positively to the community all over the WWE and TNA threads frequently up through last month

I appreciate, and welcome, any and all deserved complaints anyone has to throw my way about how I've been; as I've acknowledged, I know I suck at this and I really am trying, and I'll continue to try my best while I'm here as long as I'm wanted here (I've repeatedly offered to give up or transfer my buttons if it's no longer the case that I am, which I've believed from day one of them being offered to me). Please don't point that aggression towards other places or people where it's not deserved, and Please don't make incorrect assumptions in attempts to drive them or others away. They're not randoms, they're not outsiders, they're members of this community. Better ones than I've been!

Nobody has to forgive me or accept my apology. I know I'm bad at this, and I've been the first to say that. I get if people want me gone, and I've considered/am considering it strongly from the beginning. I wish I'd responded to this situation as quickly as it deserved and taken it as seriously as it deserved, and nobody has to believe me or trust me about it even though I wouldn't type this many words about something I didn't really believe in. But anybody who wants to watch, or learn more about, wrestling or MMA or boxing or moat fights is and should be welcome here. And those users clearly want to. And I'm not ending an apology post I've spent half an hour editing to make sure I said what I wanted to say, then seeing added at the bottom after I hit Preview new posts implying good posters who contribute to the place should be chased out for posting elsewhere In Addition To Here, and saying nothing about that because that's definitely bad too. I was wrong when I thought that about another subforum earlier in the year, and I know people doing the same to C-SPAM is just as wrong

Someone sucked at posting here today; I also sucked very bad for my part in the derail. I'm sorry. Please yell at me and tell me I suck and should die and other things I know already. Don't take it out on anyone or anywhere else

ed:

Paper Lion posted:

you even mention taintrunner "posting in this community as recently as last month" as though thats a good or normal thing.

It is, taintrunner's posts about WWE in the WWE thread were about WWE and taintrunner's posts about TNA in the TNA thread were about TNA, none of that was offtopic, it's verifiable by search and their post history, and I will not say they should have stopped that because they also happen to post on another place. It's not "running rampant" to contribute in multiple places

quote:

Stop defending C-SPAM

I will not

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 28, 2020