Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So uh. I'm guessing you have seen the Lowtax news. If not go to GBS and it's stickied.

The mod and admin team is all in agreement we can't and won't continue with Lowtax around. We also agree that this is the best community on the internet and it would be hosed up to lose it because of one person. So, we are trying to preserve it. I am hopeful that will be possible, but if Lowtax refuses to give up the forums then that's the end of it.

Anyway. Discord is in no way a replacement for a forum IMO but it's still something. I don't know that A/T really needs its own Discord?? But I don't want to lose the connections here, so I'm going to set one up and post invites for the event that we all abandon ship. I will edit this post to include them when I get to that. I'm hoping it won't be necessary.

I don't know that I've ever straight out said it but my RL situation is my dad is dying of cancer and I am his sole caregiver, so I am kind of busy with that more than I am with forums business lately. That's why we have a IK and Cyrano helping out. I'm not going to ignore this, it's too important, but please don't get mad if something happens and I take more than like, an hour to respond to it. There is literally no one who thinks Lowtax staying is an acceptable option here. We're just trying to keep the forums. SA is the community, not any one person.

I'm going to leave this unlocked for discussion but I would suggest GBS for shitposting, and watch for admin posting/announcements for news.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Lowtax if you are reading this first, gently caress you. Second, please just step down. A lot of good has been done by a lot of people on these forums and it would be great if you could do one unselfish thing and let that continue.

Some cats are being rescued this week because of someone I met on these forums as just one tiny example among so many that've happend. Thousands of dollars have gone to people that needed it. People made friends, people met their spouses, made little babies. Just gently caress off and let the great thing you created keep going.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Discord can be an option for something temporary while all this poo poo gets figured out, and I'm glad that there is a consensus that Lowtax needs to gently caress right off. If something for A/T is done via Discord (which might be nice), can I suggest adding it to https://goondiscordnetwork.com/:

Edit: Apparently the goon discord thing has its own set of issues. Sigh.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 24, 2020

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a just one SA discord or like 100 of them? Does a list exist?

Edit: nm, thanks

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mackieman posted:

and I'm glad that there is a consensus that Lowtax needs to gently caress right off.

Me too. There was no debate about it. I wish I could say we had a solution. But it's been like twelve hours so I'm not losing hope yet.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Discord is horrible and I hope that I don't have to use it in order to keep in touch with the SA community.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know that I've ever straight out said it but my RL situation is my dad is dying of cancer and I am his sole caregiver, so I am kind of busy with that more than I am with forums business lately.

I've been shitposting with you for over a decade and I'm really sorry to hear that. Regardless of the forums drama, the lowtax bullshit, that's really hard and I'm glad your dad has such a dedicated kid to help him out in his later days.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Balthesar posted:

Is there a just one SA discord or like 100 of them? Does a list exist?

Edit: nm, thanks

There are so many

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Thank you.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Discord is horrible and I hope that I don't have to use it in order to keep in touch with the SA community.

Yeah Discord is trash. It'll do in the meantime I guess, but hopefully someone comes up with a proper forum replacement so we can keep this thing going for another 20 years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

It's a chat room so it's definitely not a replacement for a forum, but as a lifeboat it's better than nothing. There's also discussion of making a whole new forum and migrating. I dunno what's going to happen. The simplest solution is Lowtax goes and the forums continue so that's what we're all hoping we can do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've been shitposting with you for over a decade and I'm really sorry to hear that. Regardless of the forums drama, the lowtax bullshit, that's really hard and I'm glad your dad has such a dedicated kid to help him out in his later days.

Thanks. It's literally the worst thing I've ever gone through and every day is the worst day of my life, like the Office Space joke but reality. I hope none of you ever have to experience it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

BTW thank you for the updates Grand Fromage, it's nice to know some gears are turning.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hope he just hands the keys over to the mods and we can keep posting.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Just nth'ing the appreciation for you as a mod, for posting this and the consensus on Lowtax not being involved anymore. It's great what he built forever ago but it's bigger than he is.

Most of all sorry to hear about your father. Obviously that's much more important, take care of him and yourself most of all.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Grand Fromage posted:

Thanks. It's literally the worst thing I've ever gone through and every day is the worst day of my life, like the Office Space joke but reality. I hope none of you ever have to experience it.

I don't really hang out here, just followed a link from another thread, but I can sympathize with this entirely. I had seven months of this back in 2013/2014. It was closer to a rapid onset of ALS, and we had more hands on deck, but I had the same feeling every day.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think it's relatively simple to get a forum up and running these days.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mackieman posted:

Discord can be an option for something temporary while all this poo poo gets figured out, and I'm glad that there is a consensus that Lowtax needs to gently caress right off. If something for A/T is done via Discord (which might be nice), can I suggest adding it to https://goondiscordnetwork.com/

https://pastebin.com/Hz7rPxiJ

I wouldn't trust GDN for a single thing. Even if the Nazi friend haver is actually gone like I've been told, I wouldn't trust it because they had that sort of access at all and used it to doxx people.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

itry posted:

I think it's relatively simple to get a forum up and running these days.

Yeah, the harder parts are getting the userbase to transition over, and preventing factionalism/takeover attempts.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
If you want to set up a Discord server with automatic SA user auth, but don't trust GDN or its creators, set it up so that it only has read and write access in a single channel that's only used for the authorization command and nothing else. It's (unfortunately?) still the only tool of its kind for now.

(If you need help with this, check the GDN website and look for me on Catgirl Bargains, where I've got this setup going.)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Yeah, the harder parts are getting the userbase to transition over, and preventing factionalism/takeover attempts.

Make it as seemless as possible.
Let mods/admins keep their status (if they want it). Give every forum member a (free) registration link. Keep most of the purchase options, keep the custom emoticons (if possible). Set up ads.

I'd like to see a forum with full income/costs transparency. Pay for services yearly, actually pay the mods, and the rest donate to various "goon approved" charities. That'd be nice.

Keep Photoshop Friday Paint Thursday.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

itry posted:

Make it as seemless as possible.
Let mods/admins keep their status (if they want it). Give every forum member a (free) registration link. Keep most of the purchase options, keep the custom emoticons (if possible). Set up ads.

I'd like to see a forum with full income/costs transparency. Pay for services yearly, actually pay the mods, and the rest donate to various "goon approved" charities. That'd be nice.

Keep Photoshop Friday Paint Thursday.

Yeah, but recreating all that is a lot harder than just setting up a new forum. Plus everyone will have their own ideas about how "now that we're starting a new site, why don't we improve XYZ." Or bring back FYAD. Or whatever.

Also, yeah, setting up some means of accounting for the funding could be tricky, particularly if the site starts paying people other than a single owner.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's a complex thing, and I'm not really in a place that I'll be involved in setting it up if it happens. But the admins are talking about it and if a new forum ends up being the solution, you can be sure it'll be posted. I would much rather have a forum than a discord, chat is good but it's not a replacement.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Theres no subscription for SA. Just throw up adblock and stop buying poo poo like avatars. I havent spent more than $20 on this place in the 15+ years I've been here. Hell the mods can start giving poo poo away for free if they want to spite him.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Yeah, but recreating all that is a lot harder than just setting up a new forum.

I had a look at XenForo, and it seems pretty straightforward. :shrug:

Grand Fromage posted:

But the admins are talking about it and if a new forum ends up being the solution, you can be sure it'll be posted.

Good to hear.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Very sorry about your dad.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://pastebin.com/Hz7rPxiJ

I wouldn't trust GDN for a single thing. Even if the Nazi friend haver is actually gone like I've been told, I wouldn't trust it because they had that sort of access at all and used it to doxx people.

Well, poo poo. Looks like assholes have ruined everything again.

That said, I agree with Grand Fromage: Discord is not even remotely a replacement; more of an accompaniment than anything else, like IRC from the days of yore. I'm hopeful that something reasonable can be done

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Out of interest, is there anything going on other than the two facebook posts? Is there more to the story that the general public isn't aware of?

E: Just seen the announcement. glad to hear someone has reached out to her.

And more importantly: don't waste any of your mental energy on these deader, gay forums. Look after your home life first.

Moo the cow fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 24, 2020

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I am so sorry about your dad, GF.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Moo the cow posted:

Out of interest, is there anything going on other than the two facebook posts? Is there more to the story that the general public isn't aware of?

No, you guys have the same information we do. Or at least that I do. I found out about it when I got linked to the GBS thread same as everybody else.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a complex thing, and I'm not really in a place that I'll be involved in setting it up if it happens. But the admins are talking about it and if a new forum ends up being the solution, you can be sure it'll be posted. I would much rather have a forum than a discord, chat is good but it's not a replacement.

Yes, I'm very sorry about your dad--that's so much more important than anything going on here.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Maybe we will finally get reply notification

ON REDDIT

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
http://breadnroses.net

It's been around since January or so, has an establish userbase, was created back during the big simultaneous c-spam and trans goon castoff by the taxman. Varied topics, from C-SPAM style politics, shitposting, queer stuff, furry stuff, games, electronic projects, lets plays, etc.

There's a paywall post-registration, so if you register and don't wanna pay just feel free to DM me here or on discord at queen_combat#7777 for approvals after you reg and we'll push it through, or pay tenbux for immediate access (I'll be up all day).

We've had an 800-person, six-month-long beta test that's gone successfully, it runs xenforo, you can ignore threads and subforums as well as people (completely silent ignoring as well), and has a good backend setup. Also lmao today's registrations have quickly reached parity with lowtax's patreon, so we're set up for the next year or so if you're wondering about funding at all (and that's just the people that have CHOSEN to pay).

Anyway, the big thing is to choose what you like. Not saying bnr is the end-all be-all. But if you're gay/leftist/furry/horny/comfy/classic/pepsi/tormp/angry, maybe give it a look. No invite code needed or any of that.

E: and also nobody is loving a loving 2020 nissan or pies or any of that poo poo with the funds. nobody paid, all volunteer including the owners.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I mostly lurk A/T but if there's a discord, can someone pm me a link?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Grand fromage, still remember your SC4 let's play.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Queen Combat posted:

http://breadnroses.net

It's been around since January or so, has an establish userbase, was created back during the big simultaneous c-spam and trans goon castoff by the taxman. Varied topics, from C-SPAM style politics, shitposting, queer stuff, furry stuff, games, electronic projects, lets plays, etc.

There's a paywall post-registration, so if you register and don't wanna pay just feel free to DM me here or on discord at queen_combat#7777 for approvals after you reg and we'll push it through, or pay tenbux for immediate access (I'll be up all day).

We've had an 800-person, six-month-long beta test that's gone successfully, it runs xenforo, you can ignore threads and subforums as well as people (completely silent ignoring as well), and has a good backend setup. Also lmao today's registrations have quickly reached parity with lowtax's patreon, so we're set up for the next year or so if you're wondering about funding at all (and that's just the people that have CHOSEN to pay).

Anyway, the big thing is to choose what you like. Not saying bnr is the end-all be-all. But if you're gay/leftist/furry/horny/comfy/classic/pepsi/tormp/angry, maybe give it a look. No invite code needed or any of that.

E: and also nobody is loving a loving 2020 nissan or pies or any of that poo poo with the funds. nobody paid, all volunteer including the owners.

Hello. Maybe I am too old to use discord but I don't know how to DM you without adding you as friend. And I can't add you either. Can I get an approval please. new user id is tino thank you!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I think we got it, it working for you?

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

E: sorted thank you!

Ktb fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 24, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Loel posted:

I think we got it, it working for you?

Yes thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

So uh. I'm guessing you have seen the Lowtax news. If not go to GBS and it's stickied.

The mod and admin team is all in agreement we can't and won't continue with Lowtax around. We also agree that this is the best community on the internet and it would be hosed up to lose it because of one person. So, we are trying to preserve it. I am hopeful that will be possible, but if Lowtax refuses to give up the forums then that's the end of it.

Anyway. Discord is in no way a replacement for a forum IMO but it's still something. I don't know that A/T really needs its own Discord?? But I don't want to lose the connections here, so I'm going to set one up and post invites for the event that we all abandon ship. I will edit this post to include them when I get to that. I'm hoping it won't be necessary.

I don't know that I've ever straight out said it but my RL situation is my dad is dying of cancer and I am his sole caregiver, so I am kind of busy with that more than I am with forums business lately. That's why we have a IK and Cyrano helping out. I'm not going to ignore this, it's too important, but please don't get mad if something happens and I take more than like, an hour to respond to it. There is literally no one who thinks Lowtax staying is an acceptable option here. We're just trying to keep the forums. SA is the community, not any one person.

I'm going to leave this unlocked for discussion but I would suggest GBS for shitposting, and watch for admin posting/announcements for news.

This place isn't nothing, but it is also just internet bullshit; your dad is what's important. Very sorry for what you're going through.