Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
Hey everyone, looks like SA may or may not be going down the pan so I wanted to stop by TV IV to say thank you for being the forum I called home back in the day.

A sincere, genuine thanks to everybody from the Lost thread for posting some of the stupidest loving theories I have ever seen in reference to a piece of popular media. Just, the kind of brain numbing poo poo that is so stupid you remember it as you're going about your day and get mad all over again. It was a great time and the only enjoyable part of that silly show. Also, shoutout to my 24 thread homies and OldSenileGuy is my favourite rollercoaster nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

RIPs to my shitposters

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I think it was the Lost threads that caused me to finally register. :hfive:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Shannon was stabbed

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Shannon was stabbed
:nono:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
OUTRIGGER!!!

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Shannon was stabbed

Goose Chill!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Man the lost thread loving ruled. HOLY gently caress THE SHARK HAD A DHARMA LOGO ON IT!

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I was just coming into TVIV to post a thread called "Lost was an engaging and relevant show even if it wasn't written exactly to a master plan from Day 1". And once this forum is gone everyone will know what it's like to have a place you have to go back to that eats you alive inside

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah dude it was all science.

Monster? Science.
Island plughole? Science.
Those numbers? Science *is* numbers!

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah dude it was all science.

Monster? Science.
Island plughole? Science.
Those numbers? Science *is* numbers!
They literally had Faraday come out and draw the audience a loving literal graph and people still thought they were definitively in purgatory during the flash-sideways

They didn't thread every needle and dropped like two-thirds of the balls going into the endgame (The numbers being one of them), and so much of the plot had to be rewritten on the fly, but once they got the gameplan down the back half of the show hangs together consistent with itself. I'd never disagree the show didn't live up to the promise of Seasons 1 and 2, as anyone who saw how they spun their wheels during the third season trying to connect the two can attest... I mean the loving flashbacks they had to mine. Locke on a weed farm and Kate doesn't do Taco night? Razzle-Dazzle!!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The whole temple storyline with Hiroyuki Sanada was boring as gently caress and a waste of time. Also that new group of people that are Jacob's disciples or whatever and so boring I can't remember their names.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shannon was stabbed

Correction: She was shot by time-traveling bullets from the freighter.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
What the gently caress was the point of the Pearl station? I accept that Lost closed more mysteries than I gave it credit for at the time but what the gently caress was the deal with all the reports just being dumped out in a pile in a field. What purpose did that serve other than "whooooaaaaaa they were dead the whole time"-esque mystery reveal?

Matt Gloss
Aug 30, 2004
Touch dry in four hours!
OH HOLKY gently caress!

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

penus de milo posted:

What the gently caress was the point of the Pearl station? I accept that Lost closed more mysteries than I gave it credit for at the time but what the gently caress was the deal with all the reports just being dumped out in a pile in a field. What purpose did that serve other than "whooooaaaaaa they were dead the whole time"-esque mystery reveal?
Somebody did an excellent post on The Pearl I'll dig up for you if we're still around to see it happen

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

penus de milo posted:

It was pretty spelled out in the show, they had Desmond thinking the Swan hatch was a psychological experiment to see if he would push the button etc, and he thought that the Pearl confirmed that. But later it's discovered (I forget how) that the Pearl was actually the psychological test station to study the behavior of the observers.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 25, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shannon was stabbed

Possibly by boone. Hey yo!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I stand by my theory that The Man In Black was Samael, his mom was Sophia, and Jacob was Jesus

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That Adam and Eve reveal was loving bullshit. "Clothing takes fifty years or so to degrade like this" my rear end.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That Adam and Eve reveal was loving bullshit. "Clothing takes fifty years or so to degrade like this" my rear end.

But they had a show bible with all the answers in right from the start!

Daikloktos posted:

Somebody did an excellent post on The Pearl I'll dig up for you if we're still around to see it happen

That would be cool, thanks!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

penus de milo posted:

But they had a show bible with all the answers in right from the start!
There's an amazing 17,000-word essay by someone who was in the writer's room for (most of) the first two seasons, that everyone in this thread should read, that you can download here.
For those who just wanna meme about how they all pulled it out their asses, lemme give the tldr
1. "Jacob" was not mentioned at all in the writer's room for the first two seasons
2. The eventual culmination of the series as a struggle between good and evil was planned from day one.
3. The Island was never purgatory.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There's an amazing 17,000-word essay by someone who was in the writer's room for (most of) the first two seasons, that everyone in this thread should read, that you can download here.
For those who just wanna meme about how they all pulled it out their asses, lemme give the tldr
1. "Jacob" was not mentioned at all in the writer's room for the first two seasons
2. The eventual culmination of the series as a struggle between good and evil was planned from day one.

Thanks, I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Edit: drat, this thing is bigger than my final year college dissertation. So basically, I've got a document which may hold within it the answers to mysteries like "did they make it all up as they went along?" and "were they incompetent or just laughing at us and banking ad revenue", but if I want to find out then I've got to spend hours and hours consuming something for entertainment knowing it might not pay off in the end. How very Lost :mad:

(reading it now)

penus de milo fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 26, 2020

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
where the gently caress is Stabbey the Meany :lost:

quote:

A sincere, genuine thanks to everybody from the Lost thread for posting some of the stupidest loving theories I have ever seen in reference to a piece of popular media. Just, the kind of brain numbing poo poo that is so stupid you remember it as you're going about your day and get mad all over again. It was a great time and the only enjoyable part of that silly show. Also, shoutout to my 24 thread homies and OldSenileGuy is my favourite rollercoaster nerd.

We were the best crew. Jack Bauer Power Hours. :twentyfour:

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 26, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
"I'm gonna need a hacksaw."

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
kim and the cougar. lol. good times.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who is kim and who is the cougar

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who is kim and who is the cougar

https://www.vulture.com/2013/12/24-kim-bauer-cougar-trap-episode-oral-history.html

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to give this some context but after watching it lol it might be even better without it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWAj5mkJnE

if you want context: season 2 of 24 was really pretty good and exciting, except dumb rear end contrived things keep happening to put the main character's daughter in danger. she escapes from some bad guys outside LA city limits, and... that happens.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

penus de milo posted:

the Pearl station (and by extension the reports) were the actual experiment.

the pearl team, believing themselves to be doing the experiment were in fact the subjects.

it's a lot dumber on paper than it was in the show, given that it was the key moment where you questioned the purpose of the 108-minutes and the button (before being asked to question it a dozen more times later in the season)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Walrus posted:

I was going to give this some context but after watching it lol it might be even better without it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWAj5mkJnE

if you want context: season 2 of 24 was really pretty good and exciting, except dumb rear end contrived things keep happening to put the main character's daughter in danger. she escapes from some bad guys outside LA city limits, and... that happens.

Has an extremely 80s, maybe even 90s feel. Looks like the 2000s. loving weird.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

the pearl team, believing themselves to be doing the experiment were in fact the subjects.

it's a lot dumber on paper than it was in the show, given that it was the key moment where you questioned the purpose of the 108-minutes and the button (before being asked to question it a dozen more times later in the season)

I thought the swan started shaking and going bananas when they didnt input the number?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

I thought the swan started shaking and going bananas when they didnt input the number?

That was retconned into being a coincidence

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

precision posted:

That was retconned into being a coincidence

It was?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
No. Not sure where they got that idea.

The Swan was real. It was originally built to study the island's EM properties, but the Incident happened while they were building it, so they filled it with concrete to create the 'dam' holding back the EM buildup that had to be periodically discharged. It was a 2 person team, but Dharma collapsed so they never sent a replacement. Locke stopped believing it was real, so he let the countdown expire. So Desmond blew it up with the failsafe, which created more wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey problems. Later they went back in time and created the very problem they blew up... by also blowing it up, causing the Incident. Dharma never told The Others what the Swan actually did, hence why Ben told Locke it was a joke - he thought everything Dharma was just a bunch of hippie pseudoscience bullshit (which, to be fair, most of it was).

The Pearl was ostensibly set up to be a secret monitoring station of the other stations, but the pneumatic tubes with their notes emptied out into a field in the middle of nowhere, so it seemed the experiment was actually to observe the people observing the other people. It's not clear if the notes were ever collected in the past, but given the size of the dump, probably not. The Others used the Pearl to spy on the Swan once the 815 survivors got there, so they were at least aware of Desmond doing his job at some point.

Man, I'd love it if they did an 80s post-Incident Dharma spinoff. I really wanted to know what happened in Ann Arbor.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yup. And the second season was a microcosm of the whole show right down to Desmond being the failsafe. Science and faith.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

That really is dumb on paper wow I never really wrapped my head around it.

The experiment you might think at first is electromagnetism harnessing gone wrong so it needs to vent every 108 minutes ah nice twist, the island has a purpose.

Oh okay it's a fake purpose, it's a psychological experiment. Ask someone to push a button forever and monitor what happens. Pretty legit it reminds me of those real life human experiments that happened maybe in my grandparents day with people doing LSD or shocking each other and the real experiment is just the documentations.

Oh oh oh but NO DON'T YOU SEE! The people doing the watching are the REAL fake experiment and everything they write isn't actually looked at....? But so... did people check on them? See if they went callous or if they would tell the Swan folks what's up or... like give up or keep going?? Then what about the people watching the people watching the people watching the people?

Then it didn't even matter because the venting of electromagnetism really WAS important, the observers were the big lie.... ahhh maybe that was to make everyone think there wasn't a risk of the island blowing up even though there really was....

Yep, just about the dumbest thing on paper I could think of, especially because it was meant to serve as a lesson in showing faith to tie into Locke's character theme, which fully fizzles out when he gets possessed in the later season, just holy jeez oh man that was some dumb crap. I'm gonna go re-watch some of The 100, what can I say I'm a sucker for some dumb crap. Makes me smile ear to ear to see a story line double down on its ludicrousness.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Lost may be my favorite show ever and part of the joy was the online discussion. I’m still trying to sort out just how many different answers did the writers have for “Just what is The Sickness?” before sticking with one.

Lost: the show that proved you do not hire a kid for a long term staring role before they go through puberty. That show so suffered from a lack of WALT! as the show went on then just wrote him off the show. At least we got Desmond’s role in the show out of having to come up with a new character with different mystical powers when the show got to the heart of the island.

For a show that claimed everything was explainable by science (and/or faith but that’s part of the fun), it’s remarkable just how much of a joke that became without me getting angry.

Webbeh posted:

where the gently caress is Stabbey the Meany :lost:

We were the best crew. Jack Bauer Power Hours. :twentyfour:

Ah the Jack Bauer Power Hour... I still refer to the show by that title. The threads here for the show should have won a Pulitzer Prize for awesomeness. Brings back great memories of college watching the show with friends then coming on here to read and post. God I’m old now.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I meant to thank you for the article. Good read. It’s a fun window into 1 writers experience and what was going on. I can really see how some “explanations” evolved over time

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Turns out the heart of the island really was supposed to be a volcano but volcano money wasn't in the budget. The volcano model in the DHARMA classroom was not supposed to be a red herring.

https://ew.com/tv/2017/04/10/lost-volcano-alternative-ending/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
drat, I would've gladly had them scrap the Temple in favor of a volcano. The Temple really dragged season 6's pacing down. For budget concerns, they could've just redecorated one of the bunker sets, or that cave set from season 5.