Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

empty whippet box posted:

I have no diagnoses regarding my personality or mental health but I have a whole lot of guesses. I frequently find myself heavily relating to the things people with autism and aspergers say and how they act but I don't usually find myself acting or speaking the way they do, that is, until the moments when I do. i don't know what that means. I have always been too poor to talk to doctors about stuff like that and now i am too old. I think I would have been officially labelled as something along those lines if I had ever been in a situation where it could have happened, but I wasn't. I do well on standardized tests but I struggle when it comes to fitting in with other people and understanding the ways they move through life. I seem to have the words to explain these things out loud, which makes me seem more normal than I am on the surface sometimes. I think I am probably not alone in feeling this way. I think that's the closest I will ever get to a 'diagnosis'.

I phase in and out of being able to communicate like most people, generally I don't even try, I really don't mind people looking at me funny. I only got diagnosed because I got in trouble when I was 14 and kid jail sent me to a psych place. I think the diagnosis does less to help than the introspection because understanding how oneself works is more beneficial that comparison in a category that's as varied as ASD or even specifically Asperger's. They flagged my daughter as a toddler and she grew up to be amazingly like me, but even without the diagnosis we'd have known since she's the only person besides my dad(who I suspect had Asperger's) that I've like mentally lined up with so well.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

nesamdoom posted:

I phase in and out of being able to communicate like most people, generally I don't even try, I really don't mind people looking at me funny. I only got diagnosed because I got in trouble when I was 14 and kid jail sent me to a psych place. I think the diagnosis does less to help than the introspection because understanding how oneself works is more beneficial that comparison in a category that's as varied as ASD or even specifically Asperger's. They flagged my daughter as a toddler and she grew up to be amazingly like me, but even without the diagnosis we'd have known since she's the only person besides my dad(who I suspect had Asperger's) that I've like mentally lined up with so well.

How old is your daughter now if that's something you can share on here?

I have no data on this but I suspect learning you're different is easier if you have a similar condition to one of your parents. Like, it is an example of how you can offset if not overcome difficulties, have real relationships, and live a decent life. Right there in your own home. Also presumably it is less likely to create the tension where someone has High Functioning Autism or AD and while understanding there are downsides is more likely to feel overall okay with who they are and not really have a strong desire to change (at least in terms of fundamentally changing their brain even if they wish to learn to better relate to people or improve in other deficits which may be related to the disorder), whereas their parents are more likely to see their children as "sick" and spend so much energy "looking for a cure" to the condition their kid doesn't think is all that hindering. That dichotomy has been studied and talked about in the literature actually so it's not just my suspicion.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 16, 2021

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Bright Bart posted:

How old is your daughter now if that's something you can share on here?

I have no data on this but I suspect learning you're different is easier if you have a similar condition to one of your parents. Like, it is an example of how you can offset if not overcome difficulties, have real relationships, and live a decent life. Right there in your own home. Also presumably it is less likely to create the tension where someone has High Functioning Autism or AD and while understanding there are downsides is more likely to feel overall okay with who they are and not really have a strong desire to change (at least in terms of fundamentally changing their brain even if they wish to learn to better relate to people or improve in other deficits which may be related to the disorder), whereas their parents are more likely to see their children as "sick" and spend so much energy "looking for a cure" to the condition their kid doesn't think is all that hindering. That dichotomy has been studied and talked about in the literature actually so it's not just my suspicion.

She's just about 17. I think it's helped her a bit to be able to have me to relate to. Her mum has done great with her, but there's just things I understand better. I've always encouraged her to not worry too much and definitely not pretend to be like others to fit in. That doesn't lead to successful friendships anyways.
'Curing' is something that's always bothered me, and doubly so in videos where parents are just moaning about their kids(the trend of 'meltdown' videos is a disgusting lack of parenting). My daughter is funny, smart, and good at anything she tries to be good at, I call that a good kid. As for my toddler, I don't care too much either way since he's happy, healthy, and learning quick.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021