Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprue

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

Jupiter Jazz posted:

But being comedic isn't me. I'm very stoic on and offline. I also worry because I often lack a social filter that I'll joke in appropriate times.

By doing this aren't you masking 24/7?

I know neurotypicals are being sincere when they say just be yourself, but it's more complicated than that in my opinion. I'm not even sure there is such a thing as an unfiltered self. People talk about masks being on and off, but even when it feels like they're off to a neurotypical, it may still feel a bit like a performance for someone with autism. For instance, sometimes my partner who I adore stresses me out when they worry about health stuff, but instead of responding unguarded how I naturally want to (tell them to stop talking about it so much and just get over it etc, or at my most autistic self just stand up abruptly and walk out of the room) I chose a different course of behavior (listening to them for a while and sympathising, then redirecting the conversation somewhere else).

Successful social interactions are a really complex and challenging thing for everyone, neurotypicals just learn how to do it at an earlier age then we do so it feels more natural for them, and they're not usually as aware of their own personas as acutely as a socially successfully autistic person is. What I'm trying to get at is that it might feel like wearing a mask at first, but it will feel more natural as time goes by. Be yourself, but filter it through social norms - that second half is what neurotypicals often leave out when they're encouraging us :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU