Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Like a month ago I had some credible threats made against me and TFR gave me really good home defense advice that was 100 percent about how to not end up having to shoot someone. They were super reassuring and the only gun forum on the internet I could go to where people wouldn't be talking about setting up kill zones and ammo selection with a half-chub. They made that lovely experience a lot easier.

This place was also huge for me when I was working from home from 2012-2013. I had no social interaction during the day so having some kind of conversation to take part in did wonders for my mental health. Same for when I was working nights last year, many a three am yell of "FUUUUUUCK" was averted by these forums.

And a time SA helped me help someone else:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anyway, for my own personal SA saga that nobody knows about, and I don’t want to go into too much detail without their permission:

8 years ago I gave a goon a spare key from a 4 pack of shoot many robots, we became online friends, I dragged him into my volunteer EMS agency,he got a taste for medical stuff, and he graduated nursing school today. Well, it’s after midnight, so yesterday. Proud of that guy and I’m happy that this site made a giant difference in someone’s life through sheer dumb chance like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

No. We want Lowtax to go away and for this place to live.

That's the truth and it's the way the mods and admins feel.

I’d really love it if this place could continue without Lowtax. Sometimes I go through my bookmarks and read my posts in threads from years ago as a little time capsule of how I thought and what I cared about back then and I’d hate to lose that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The hope for the forums going forward made my loving month. After all the poo poo in 2020 it was nice to have something awful (heyo!) not only turn out well in the end, the outpouring of positivity everywhere on this forum really cemented the fact that, as much as these are all online people I've mostly never met, we've all really appreciated each other during our time here. I've gotten some PMs about keeping in touch and I've sent some out about the same, and it was really something at making me realize that even the people who annoy me here mean something to me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Been here for 12 years now, lurked for quite a bit before that. I think I stumbled over here when the Comic Strip Megathread started doing top-tier edits on "For Better or for Worse" that leaked out over the internet. :fireman: I ended up regging because 1) occasionally I couldn't see the new funny edits bc of the paywall and 2) discovered a thread dedicated to shortwave aficionados, and good luck finding a forum online for that where a 30-something year old woman felt welcome.

I can't possible recount all the ways SA has made a positive change in my life, but here's some greatest hits.

AI has not only helped me fix small stupid problems with my car, but also took a shine to my home-based hot sauce business. As a result, I had new tires put on my trusty 2001 Cavalier years ago when I had to move very suddenly in the middle of a snow storm. (I'm still trying to find the pic I took for the thread of me mailing off a stack of Priority USPS boxes full of hot sauce. It was my Cav in a foot of snow with a comic strip word balloon saying "thanks, goons!" or something.) AI totally bought those tires thanks to their patronage.

GWS... jeez where to start. When I had car trouble yet again, and felt like I was trapped in my absolute poo poo job because it was the only thing I could walk to, the industry thread rallied and someone set up a GFM. In 24 hours, they kick in enough to not only get my car fixed but pay off some other outstanding bills I had, giving me a fresh start.

This is going to sound insane but... the GBS Sardine thread. I started reading on a lark and decided to try sardines. Turns out, they're really loving tasty! Plus, they come in pretty printed cans! I make art out of junk, that's my jam, so I started making collage art of sardines out of sardine cans. Not only did that thread take a liking to it, but I had an SA-Mart page selling them that got sticked by a mod (think it was NYC Tattoo?) just because it was so bizarre.

...And that's just when goons have specifically helped me financially. I've made friends, I've gotten connections, and as someone who's always thirsty for knowledge, I have learned SO much from these forums. Like, not a day goes by when my husband comes home and I'm all "hey, guess what I just learned today on A/T!" Plus the real sense of community. Right now my life is crumbling because of my being jobless and about to be homeless, and every time I get a PM asking "hey, you okay?".... it means a lot to me. It really does.

JD, I’ve enjoyed so many of your posts, and I’m glad you’re still around.

As far as it all goes, being here for ages...

We helped some people, didn’t we?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ha, found the pic! And apparently mis-remembered, that was the time I was selling apple butter in SA-Mart and needed a new battery. Too many times goons have helped for me to keep straight in this old noggin of mine!

And yes, I am STILL driving that Cavalier to this day. She'll be old enough to drink next year!

Hahaha, I’ve seen shops of that quote but never the original.

Caviliers are good cars! I just bought something similar in the hopes that I can just drive it forever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

dads friend steve posted:

I’m 16 months sober and the (then GBS) alcoholism thread was the major catalyst that helped me get from “maybe I drink too much” to finding a recovery group that worked for me.

That was just off the top of my head. I’ve been here almost 16 years and I feel like I’m a better person than I otherwise would have been without it

Congrats on the 16 months, and congrats on today.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

Prepare to be disappointed.

Every goon I’ve met IRL has been fun to hang with. I mean, in the ten years I’ve been regged (as of today!) that’s been like four goons but still, all good people.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

I take the opposite view on probes. They're just the price of playing. Obviously this changes when they become longer and more frequent but sometimes you gotta fly close to the sun just to feel a bit warm.

Sometimes you just want a cat on there too.

Someone posted “the person who does not post out of fear of probation has already probated themselves”. Wish I could remember who.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oxphocker posted:

I joined in the early/mid 2000's and what got me to reg was some of the epic threads like Bruiser and the Garbage Truck from Hell and I can't remember his username, but the guy who had to whip his kid into shape because of drugs and got him exercising and emptied his room of nothing but a mattress and a box for clothes. Also the guy who found his dad's Vietnam novel and retyped the whole thing into an electronic document. These were just awesome personal stories and incredibly well written. That was what pulled me in at first but from there I started reading A/T, D&D, GWS, and E/N. From there I started wandering across all sorts of subgroups.

It's just amazing the amount of information and knowledge in these forums. Everything from movie reviews to tech help to DIY stuff. It's a great way for people to experience things outside of their norms, especially if your options are limited. It was a sad day to hear that the forums might have been shut down, I hope that won't end up being the case.

Back when the site was huge it was insane, if people were talking about basically anything a ton of people with a lot of expertise in that field would show up and drop knowledge bombs. I learned a ton lurking here back in the day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

If you read my previous posts itt, you'll see I've hit some pretty rough patches that goons have helped me out through.

My life has finally changed for the better --- I got a job and just landed an apartment --- and, unbidden, a goon sent me a HUGE gift card to Kroger so I can stock up my kitchen. Best loving housewarming present ever to this cook who hasn't had her own kitchen for 2 years.

Many congrats! That’s a huge turnaround!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Domus posted:

Goons didn’t save my life, but they saved someone else’s. GPF had a thread in The Goon Doctor about his struggles finding a kidney. I thought I’d get tested to see if I matched him. Long story short, he got a cadaver kidney at the last minute, but because I’d already gone through a bunch of testing, I decided to donate to a stranger. My kidney went to North Carolina, and someone has a new lease on life. Never would have gotten involved if it wasn’t for the thread.

You are the loving best, holy poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My grandfather is 91 and doesn’t post much but with the pandemic, he doesn’t get out much and- he’s been enjoying lurking on this site (and finally got up the guts to post in the MilHist thread). It’s some outside world contact that’s not all algorithm stuff like Facebook is.

I keep telling him to post in PYF.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jordan7hm posted:

This rules

My mom also lurks/posts here for the soccer subforum. She loves the idea of a site where you can talk to people without Facebook’s algorithms deciding what you see.

HGB got her to join when she was helping me with the Drunk History podcast.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I went to a goon wedding last Saturday and I met him through giving away games in PGS literally 10 years ago.

We were Steam friends for a while and when his mom died I dragged him into EMS, where he ended up as as 1st Lt, left retail poo poo and ended up going from EMT-B to RN. The dude is awesome and I’m happy this site introduced me.

Connor, what you’ve done with your life has been incredible.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Oct 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty drunk & stoned right now, I'm risking a probation but honestly...gently caress it.

Thank you to everyone here, whether it's been members, admins, or whatever role you've played. I joined this site over 15 years ago after a college friend showed me the front page & I've been hooked ever since. The variety, different opinions, people going out of their way to help complete strangers...it's been inspiring & motivating, as dumb or cliche as it sounds. Just wanna say thank you to everyone here for their contributions & keeping this place relaxed, creative & fun all the time. :)

E: to prove my point, I'll reiterate to any mods: if this is outside the rules, do what you gotta do. I'd rather eat a probe for a few hours for being honest than be quiet & not express how great this community is. I won't hold any ill will toward anyone for enforcing the rules.

This forum has actually been great at letting me ramble while hammered without doing it to anyone where it would gently caress up my personal or professional life.