Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I grew up in the middle of nowhere without access to the internet. I knew nothing about the world or culture beyond what was on television, which in my area was generally Fox News.

Something Awful was something I'd heard of from friends back in the early aughts (Hardy Boys photoshop thread I think), so when I finally went to a state university with a cheap laptop it was the only place I thought to visit. I loved the ghost stories threads, not so much for the ghosts as the stories of other people around the world getting into misadventures and talking about their hometowns.

This was the first place I ever encountered LGBT issues, and it helped prepare me to be a better friend to my cousins when they were looking for family who would support them. It showed me that you didn't have to be a raging rear end in a top hat to be funny.

The Something Awful Christmas threads got me through lonely winters at school, and when I got stuck unemployed during the Great Recession after graduation they gave me something to look forward to. Those festive karaoke sessions are an indispensable part of my holidays now, and probably kept me from self harming when Depression hit hard in 2017. Just knowing there are so many fun, kind and creative people out there is enough sometimes, even if the world is cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU