Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Years ago (probably around when I actually registered) there was a post your phone number thread in GBS. It being The Past and me being bored, I did that thing. Had several extremely goony chats with extremely goony people.

One person decided to call me based on my avatar (look at the little bear!) and her first words were "Where is the booze? I demand to have some booze". Coincidentally I'd just seen Withnail and I for the first time that week, and we had a good old chat. We kept in touch over the years, either through MSN or phone calls and went on with our lives.

Years and years later, during the Scientology protests, I saw that she'd been to the London one, and I mentioned that I was thinking about going to the Birmingham one. She invited me to come to London and join the protest with her. I did, and we had a grand old time. I travelled back to London several times in the next few months, hanging out and going to parties with her and her friends.

A couple of months later I quit my job, left my girlfriend of four years, and moved to London to hang out with her in a slightly more structured way. We've been together for eleven years, and I proposed to her with a ring I'd made from the wooden cork of a bourbon bottle we'd drank at one of those parties, that I'd kept for all that time.

Being in London also got me into performing comedy, and I was in a group that was Quite A Big Deal for several years, before going off to do my own stuff.

Basically this is one big callout post @ CuriousSymptoms for being an excellent curvy goonette wife, and also sitting on the sofa while I'm typing this, with no idea that I'm actually being a bit sappy online.

SomethingAwful: Weirdly responsible for my life an career.

Hilariously the guy who got me to join SA has blocked me on Twitter. gently caress that guy. The jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

CuriousSymptoms posted:

I met my husband here. He posted in a 'post your phone number' thread (back in summer 2004, when the world wasn't quite as mad as it is now), and I liked his avatar of a cartoon bear, so I phoned him up to quote Withnail and I at him. We got talking, posted some fun art threads together, and stayed friends. Some years later - we first met in person at the protests against the church of scientology (I know, I know, the gooniest love story) in early 2008; by the summer we were officially dating; we moved in with each other in the autumn of that year. We were married in 2014, and this year marked our 12th anniversary as a couple.

I have made so many real life friends through the forums, particularly in London. Happy memories in particular of frantically colouring in Zoofights illustrations (the chap who created it is the reason I registered - we were friends at uni and he mentioned something about 'this idiot forum' when I was round his room one day). I literally wouldn't have the life I do if it weren't for this stupid community. <3

Dammit wife

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

This thread makes me smile. I love this place.

Amongst a whole heap of good things I've learned from this place, I'll point to Goons With Spoons' Bread Pudding recipe that I made for a local library function a few years back and everyone there told me that it was the best dish there by a long shot, which felt amazing.

Also obligatory shoutout to how this forum is basically the only one I can hang in to talk about video games without running into nazis or sexist bastards. I feel safe and welcome talking random video games with goons and I value that so so so much.

e: Also wow, SA has been huge for my online social skills. When I first joined up I was a huge lurker and every time I posted it was terrifying because I was afraid I'd get someone mad. And eventually I got over that, but this place got me through that.

I remain terrified of posting and I have been here for loving ages.

I am mainly posting to say that your avatar is rad as hell and it's a joy to see you post. Hooray for no nazi sexbastards. Well. Fewer.