Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
To my endless shame it was the CAD mock thread that drew me in. İ read it for a long time as a non member, but the same locked forums that angered so many danganronpa fans also caught me.

İt was.a different time. I'm still reading the new Deegan thread though. Maybe not too much has changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
It was the LP archive and links that people on other boards posted that brought me here. I had gotten a prepaid visa gift card for my 18th birthday (you have to be 19 to get a real credit card in Canada.) and decided to sign up for the forums because I was sick of being paywalled and why the hell not.

SA saved me from becoming a shitlord.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I think about 10-15 years ago i came across the forums for the first time. I think it was around the time that tons of people shat on furries. I spent a lot of time checking out some photoshop threads i think, and also some LGBT relationship related stuff. Hell, i remember a PYF dick thread. And that disgusting one about the guy with the keyboard crumbs. That was really long ago. But after a while i got the 'you must register' thing and forgot about it for a while. Didn't care much for people making GBS threads on furries either.

Years later i came back, found some pretty cool discussions about car/bike/old tech stuff, and the furry hate had significantly died down. By that time i kinda wanted to register but i didn't have a credit card. I'm not from the usa, not much is done by credit here.

Another 5 years later and i finally have a credit card. I just used it for the first time to register here. So that's my back story. Lurked intermittently for over a decade before registering.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
I somehow hadn't ever heard of SA until 2016. An ex bought me an account because a bunch of his buddies were goons and he wanted to bring me into his social circle. (While expressly telling me not to tell anyone we were dating, for some reason? I had a lot less self-respect back then.) Also to get me into PbP RPGs he and his buddies were hosting, largely organized via the IRC group he owned. I stayed on SA for the community-- the paywall is a good troll barrier, and the userbase is largely in their 30s-40s, which avoids a lot of forum/ social media problems.

Also I met the guy who ended up becoming my fiance through that same goon IRC group, and I've met several folks who have become lifelong ride-or-die kind of friendships from SA. In a way, the gift of goonhood ended up being the best thing that ever happened to me! :kimchi:

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I had been a fan of photoshop phridays for a long time, a long time ago (early 2000s, maybe earlier? ). Didn’t even realize there was a forum.
Daughter told me to check out Pet Island for cool fish tanks in 2011, then I watched “Yellow Sea” (Korean movie) with goons online, then watched hurricane sandy and the dudes flooding basement... then Wren thread 🥺. Goddamn I’ve spent thousands of hours on here now. Best loving thing on the internet, best $10 I ever spent on anything, ever.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I came for cspam and ttrpg chat. First really noticed the site when I saw that lets read of a John Ringo book.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I joined in 1999 but then from the back-half of 2000-2010 I didn't have regular access to the internet for various reasons (a combination of homelessness, college without a computer, living off the land, grad school with a departmental computer where I didn't want my colleagues seeing me look at goatse). You know the drill. So I did some mild lurking when I could and "came home" in 2010. Been here in various forms more-or-less ever since.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I actually posted on General Mayhem through my high school years and lurked here when I could. Shortly after I started college and was paying attention to the Battlefield 3 thread the paywall went up and I figured I should finally get an account to post about it once it launched. Glad I did, I've had nothing but good come from here

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Knew about SA since middle school thanks to retsupurae and ProtonJon videos, but kind of pushed it to the back of my memory for a few years. Then, come senior year of high school, a very nerdy friend who also knew about SA regged to do screenshot LPs here, and convinced me to reg alongside him. It was a wise decision.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I found out about Dwarf Fortress somewhere and then of course found Boatmurdered and LP Archive. Then I figured out where those hilarious LPs were coming from. I had to subscribe when I wanted to follow Grey Hunter's Let's Plays.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'm not sure how I found SA or when I started reading the forums but I know I was roughly 12 or 13 and it was the mid 2000s. I lurked on and off for years until the 2016 election. I found myself reading the C-Spam trump thread more and more and decided to bite the bullet and get an account

Althar
Jan 9, 2021
I’ve heard about it forever but was put off from it by the cost. Nowdays Facebook ended up as my main time waster, and zucc has been on some bullshit, so signing up on here finally started to make sense.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Also 2010er. I discovered the front page way back in 2003 when I was 12 and then the forums a year later. I finally got my own debit card in 2010 when I was 19. My mum paid for a lot of dumb stuff when I was a kid, but I would never have dreamed of asking her to pay $10 so I could post on an internet forum.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I was a regular at the PlanetQuake and HalfLife forums when Lowtax got his rear end fired and moved permanently here. At the time most of the edgelordiest, goatsest posting forums regulars migrated en masse with him, but I wouldn't due to not finding the edgelord stuff all that funny (some front page stuff still makes me laugh though, the ICQ pranks were great), stubbornness, and why he got fired, although friends would post me links to the funnier threads via ICQ. I even contributed one or two shops around 9-11 (but I think a lot of the images got migrated from here to an off site). When paywall went up though I was like "I WILL NEVER PAY FOR ANYTHING ON THE INTERNET!" and quit coming. Its kinda adorable in retrospect.

But around 2013 or so a friend on another forum kept linking me to the Homestuck thread, I started lurking a little more, and realized the posting was really good, especially compared with the rest of the internet. And hell, 15 odd years is long enough, people can change (lol), perhaps I should let go of that old grudge and just pay my $10. And I got sucked in pretty good; y'all are good posting pals and help keep me laughing in the face of *gestures widely at everything*

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I lurked fairly seriously without significant reason to post for at least several years before I purchased a scooter and started posting in Cycle Asylum. I've spent most of the last twenty years of my life very drunk and not in a fun way, so I'm not entirely sure of the veracity of my memory. Ten years and many terrible posts later, here I am.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

For the longest time just read Photoshop Phriday. Didn't think there was anything else and didn't bother to look.

Then noticed the rap sheet button and the goldmine. That was a fun weekend, mostly lying on the floor in agony laughing at stuff like Krust and Tails Got Trolled. This was at least 2016, so it was like discovering treasure in an archaeological dig. Still here because my sanity is degrading at the same rate as the content quality.

Got an account to correct bad opinions in D&D and rereg as often as I can as a way to give back.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 21, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ive known about SA ever since i watched one of those fuckin slenderman videos back in like 2011 or whenever the gently caress that was

never really bothered to sign up until recently, though (seems i picked a pretty good time to do it too given recent uhh cough events)
decided to sign up because right now the only forum i really post on has been dying for the past 6 years and i need something that isnt like 2 posts an hour on a good day

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I joined for goons in Eve Online, and then never bothered applying to join Goonwaffe. Ultimately, I became a lot more interested in other video games that Goons played at that time, and left Eve Online behind forever. Since that time, I've kinda come to the conclusion that I just really like the vibes Goons put on.

And plus, watching Reddit turn into "Shouting the quiet part into the void" put me off a lot of social media forever. I actually really like that SA still costs :10bux: to use, and since Lowtax has gotten the boot, I actually have some real hope for the future of shitposting on SA.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

After finding $10 crammed inside of a paypal wallet - I was convinced to sign up for SA. Definitely the best $10 I've spent in a while.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

read the front page in my teens, occasionally read threads when the paywall was down. got an account once i had a credit card and income in my 20s. still lurked for a while, only posting in LP for a very long time

i have now embraced :justpost: and it's been good!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I found Neil Cicieregas content at a young age and I think one of the earliest iterations of his website (or, God, like his deviant art or something) mentioned SA. It seemed to be spoken of in hushed tones so obviously it's where the coolest people on the internet hang out.

God I was lurking since age... 12, I guess. I'm 27 now so I don't like thinking about it
My account was actually a gift from my partner, and I remember I had mixed feelings about it bc at the time GBS was a nightmare and I didn't want either of us paying money for that. Now I just poo poo up every thread I enter

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
My boyfriend at the time was a goon. I lurked a lot until one day the CAD was on par with the USD, so I figured "YOLO" and joined. In my post secondary/early 20s years, $10 was a lot to spare on such a silly concept of buying access to a website. Now with everything is subscription based.

I also met another guy on here and dated him for a while. Though I am not longer with either goon (thank goodness), I am still friends with one, and keep in touch with the other. I also made a lot of friends on here, and well, I wasn't the best with social cues and so many of the goons called me out on my bullshit. Still do, and I am always learning.

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 19, 2021

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Killingyouguy! posted:

Now I just poo poo up every thread I enter

Worth every dollar.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I lurked since the Boatmurdered Dwarf Fortress Let's Play until I found a gift cert somewhere online because getting a credit card was somewhat annoying at the time where I live.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I played eve online for a time in 2016-2017. Goons were the only alliance not full of MRA weirds.
I am not a late joiner but this sort of thing is why I stick around. There's a lot of terrible cesspools on the internet and SA consistently stands in contrast to them. I don't know why or how but the culture that emerged here after the early edgelord/libertarian phase has been pretty great.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Through Zorak's LP of Pokemon Quartz and Boatmurdered

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
notorious burrito bandit bob mackey kept mentioning it on his podcasts and twitter so I just started lurking then eventually created an account

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I shouldn't be a post-2010 reg.

I don't clearly remember how I first heard of Something Awful. Mid-aughts, I read Slashdot somewhat regularly, and I'm sure I came across references to SA's internet escapades. Later, I came to know that a friend of mine from another forum was a goon, and heard things about this place. At some point, I know I read Boatmurdered and got into playing Dwarf Fortress myself (mostly driven by the stories of a mutual, non-goon, friend).

I should've registered in 2008, when I deliberately left one kind of crummy webcomic-based forum community behind. Instead, I moved my focus to a far superior webcomic-based forum community that now seems to have been completely erased from the internet. (Which is just mildly weird to me. Like, even the webcomic is gone! It was a professionally-run product at the time!)

I should've registered in 2010, when I was reading Azzur's excellent Warcraft: Orcs & Humans LP and the paywall went up.

I don't remember exactly what it was that prompted me to finally register in March 2013. I really don't. I know I bought archives and plat when my bank gave me a free rewards card of some kind (which was very strange: it was just, like, 40 or 50 dollars on a card, I guess for being a loyal customer), but that was later. The more I push on my memory of that time, the more clearly I remember nothing about it.

:iiam:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

rip whiteninja

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

TFLC motivated me to lose weight and :justpost:.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I first heard of SA because I used to read…to my eternal shame…Fark. Way back in 2002 there was a photoshop battle between fark and SA and it was clear to me at that point how much better as a community SA was.

I lurked for a long rear end time but didn’t reg until I started reading LF. LF was amazing and I loved it. Both its demented history and its culture around say 2007. It felt like the 3am dorm room conversations..but with grad students instead of freshman. Banning LF is still one of the things I won’t forgive lowtax for.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Proust Malone posted:

I first heard of SA because I used to read…to my eternal shame…Fark. Way back in 2002 there was a photoshop battle between fark and SA and it was clear to me at that point how much better as a community SA was.

I lurked for a long rear end time but didn’t reg until I started reading LF. LF was amazing and I loved it. Both its demented history and its culture around say 2007. It felt like the 3am dorm room conversations..but with grad students instead of freshman. Banning LF is still one of the things I won’t forgive lowtax for.

As someone who missed it - what's LF?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Cspam but maoist. Banned because lowtax is right winger

He claimed the secret service visited him about some posts there but there's no real proof tbh and a goon tried to foia it

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 3, 2021

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I first started lurking at some point between 2005 and 2007 when I stumbled across Martin Random's roommate posts, noticed there was quite a lot of good content here that wasn't available elsewhere on the Internet for a variety of topics, and eventually got bored of being paywalled and losing things to the archives and got an account.

rainmstr
Sep 8, 2021

NOOB IN REAL LIFE :stonklol:

(please talk to me I'm lonely)
I heard of it around late 2020 early 2021 from a Discord friend of mine. I have been lurking for the past few months and finally decided to say “gently caress it” and pay the $10 for my account. :eng101:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My friend bought me a forums account code during Lowtax's spine fundraiser. Oops. I've made up for it with avatar purchases under a different owner.

I had only been aware of SA as a den of edgelord crudity ("the place where Cards Against Humanity comes from") so I made the friend promise that there was zero tolerance for gamergate stuff or anything of the sort.

When I started posting I was pleasantly surprised at how left-leaning the place was, and I took note of how many trans and queer people there seemed to be. I started lurking those threads in TGRS so I could be a better ally, and next thing I knew I was trans myself. Now the forums are a significant source of personal affirmation, and I love seeing people on the same journey I took.

Stinger: the friend who invited me came out as trans a month after I did

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

wizzardstaff posted:

I had only been aware of SA as a den of edgelord crudity ("the place where Cards Against Humanity comes from

Wait really? I didn’t know this

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Proust Malone posted:

Wait really? I didn’t know this

Somehow I gained the background knowledge that the original iteration was a print and play game made from posts in a SA forum thread. I don’t know how apocryphal those details are but I remember playing it in 2010ish before it got big with a bootleg copy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Id always been peripherally aware of SA, starting reading LPs in the days of the LP superstars. The paywall went up when I was back at the parents house between leases for a couple weeks so I regged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'd known of the forums since the early 00s, having first come to SA for photoshop fridays. Lurked for years when they weren't totally paywalled. I finally registered this account when I moved to a new city and wanted to post in goonmeet threads.